U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,027,464 times

Advertisements

USA section needs updating!

Impact of the Arab Spring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 10:51 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,101,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
So then when a contingent of non-lazy vigilant citizens organizes a protest...ah forget it.
The fact is that they were lazy when it counted.
Now it's too late. Corruption is a cancer. It cannot be eradicated; only managed. The only certainty is death.

There is nothing they can do now. It's simply too late. This will play out until the current system dies. I would be happy if they facilitated the death (i.e. armed resistance) but we know that's not going to happen.

The only options at this point are; withdraw as much as possible from the current system and protect yourself for the future changes. Profit from the current system. Or waste time trying to stop the inevitable.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 PM

193 posts, read 277,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The fact is that they were lazy when it counted.
Now it's too late. Corruption is a cancer. It cannot be eradicated; only managed. The only certainty is death.

There is nothing they can do now. It's simply too late. This will play out until the current system dies. I would be happy if they facilitated the death (i.e. armed resistance) but we know that's not going to happen.

The only options at this point are; withdraw as much as possible from the current system and protect yourself for the future changes. Profit from the current system. Or waste time trying to stop the inevitable.
Thanks for that ray of sunshine. If everybody thought like you it would be 1984 already.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 AM

24,499 posts, read 34,332,005 times
Quote:
Thanks for that ray of sunshine. If everybody thought like you it would be 1984 already.

1984 came and went pretty much along the predicted lines and they have been enhancing the sytem's reach and power the last 27 years. "But let's keep it quiet lest the public would panic" (my favorite Horror movie ploy.)

wawaweewah is completely correct if a bit too optimistic.

The collapse of the system, long predicted, will be cataclysmic and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Any effort to change the system would be like paddling your kayak REAL HARD after you have already gone over Niagara.

The next technique to be tried, as always, will be worldwide nationalist isolationism and "beggar thy neighbor" techniques. The plutocrats will surround themselves with walls and security armies just like any banana republic and the Worldwide Depression will go on and on and on, ever deepening. Some countries will turn to a savior...think Hitler, Roosevelt, Stalin.

But the system will not go quietly...it will protect itself against the masses with machine guns and tanks.

The upside???? The last Depression was ended by a World War and annhililation of most developed countries except one. World War then seems to our last best hope. Oh JOY!

As for the 1984 analogy...remember, during the last Depression everyone's phone wasn't tapped and all communications weren't monitored like today and everyone wasn't watching the same TV channels all owned by a dozen corporations.

So yes, wawaweewa's pessimism is very well grounded. It will be hideously ugly and it is inevitable.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Big march today at 4:30 involving many unions and community groups. A list can be found here: #OccupyWallStreet Union March From Foley Square on Wall Street | OccupyWallSt.org

If you want to watch the march live you can find a feed here: globalrevolution - live streaming video powered by Livestream.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 AM

40,049 posts, read 33,173,357 times
^ "Big" is a relative term. A turnout large enough to completely ruin traffic? Who wants to give odds on that?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 PM

8,747 posts, read 17,636,857 times
Fred stop being such a naysayer..they are fighting for your rights too..and to make the world better for everyone. Instead of harping on the negative, you should be supportive. 3 weeks ago you didn't bat an eye..most people didn't..and now? Donations flooding in across the globe, media is taking notice, others are sprouting in cities across the country....see a trend yet?

Old 10-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
^ "Big" is a relative term. A turnout large enough to completely ruin traffic? Who wants to give odds on that?
Like Sobroguy said, they're fighting for your pension too, and your buddies in the transit workers union will be marching today.

Considering what happened last Sat on the bridge, and with the added numbers from unions, its safe to say that today should be the largest demonstration yet.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:41 PM

166 posts, read 426,773 times
I work down by City Hall and the protests today are definitely big. They can be heard from my office (and I work on one of the top floors)
I admit I haven't really taken notice of the protests before today.

Last edited by lowkeystatus; 10-05-2011 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 AM

40,049 posts, read 33,173,357 times
Quote:
Like Sobroguy said, they're fighting for your pension too, and your buddies in the transit workers union will be marching today.
As a matter of fact, my own union didn't send out any messages about this. I could have been there.

And as far as that 'naysayer' comment goes, I happen not to be a naysayer. I just don't believe that this whole Occupy Wall Street is a legitimate movement. I'd change my mind in an instant if I saw similar protests in other cities. Do you know if there are any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City