U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 PM

160 posts, read 112,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
Seems like Acorn is hijacking the movement

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,357,534 times
**** these people the more I think about it.

If they were the "haves",they'd be doing the same **** to the "have nots". What are they protesting?That they can't have the same boomer lifestyle as parents? Why do they feel entitled to it?

If given a substantial payout, most of these people would walk out and gladly rent a 3500 apt in NYC and go on consuming like pigs at the trough.

They are just as corrupt as they people they're protesting. This has little to do with actual values and everything to do crying about not getting their piece of the pie. These aren't reformers. They're the small level goon who ******* that he doesn't get a cut of protection racket that is operated by his bosses.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 PM

116 posts, read 226,529 times
Well, I said way earlier in the thread that I'd be surprised and annoyed at demonstrators outside my workplace in Jersey City - well, it happened today, so I have to eat my words.

However, there weren't many AT ALL. It was really quite underwhelming. There were more of us inside the building gawking at them and commenting what idiots they are than there were of the protesters.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:53 AM

160 posts, read 112,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
**** these people the more I think about it.

If they were the "haves",they'd be doing the same **** to the "have nots". What are they protesting?That they can't have the same boomer lifestyle as parents? Why do they feel entitled to it?

If given a substantial payout, most of these people would walk out and gladly rent a 3500 apt in NYC and go on consuming like pigs at the trough.

They are just as corrupt as they people they're protesting. This has little to do with actual values and everything to do crying about not getting their piece of the pie. These aren't reformers. They're the small level goon who ******* that he doesn't get a cut of protection racket that is operated by his bosses.
And how do you know this? The voices in your head?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:36 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,357,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
And how do you know this? The voices in your head?
I know this because when we had the exact same system in place but times were good, these people were absent. We've had the same paradigm for at least the past 3 decades. When they stood to benefit from it, they had no (major) gripes with it. Now that they don't, they all of a sudden find a voice?

Is there beef with the corrupt system or the fact that they aren't able to benefit from the corruption?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:38 AM

327 posts, read 141,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
English please.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:40 AM

3,409 posts, read 1,559,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I know this because when we had the exact same system in place but times were good, these people were absent. We've had the same paradigm for at least the past 3 decades. When they stood to benefit from it, they had no (major) gripes with it. Now that they don't, they all of a sudden find a voice?
I imagine that most of the protesters were not even born 3 decades ago and the ones that were were probably in diapers or Pre K. You think they should have been up in arms then?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:40 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,690,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
To placate the noble and righteous protestors they should offer to move Wall st. to another country. Wouldn't be hard, every other country in the world would be willing to take on the burden of money it generates. Perhaps Greece would graciously accept it. Just the NYC and NYS taxes it pays would fix their problem.
This is the problem. Wall St would make such a move and think nothing of the lives ruined in such a decision. Our well being is increasingly dependent upon the arbitrary dictates of the market or of a corporate analyst somewhere. The people are increasingly becoming the serfs of another sort of feudal system.

Over the centuries humanity has increasingly organized a society to provide a good life for us all. Our current society increasingly only serves the needs of a few. The system does not work. It is broken. More and more people are understanding this.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
It is getting ridiculous down there. While I don't agree with the protesters, nor what they stand for (I may be biased due to the fact that I do want to be an investment banker), I respect that some of them have valid points.
However, the other half are wasting the city's money by because police officers have to be payed overtime - and that comes out of MY pocket as well as everyone else in the city. I talked with one group who had cardboard signs that said "Abolish the IRS. Take down the government!" They said when they voted for Obama, they voted for change.

Half of these people know NOTHING and are brainwashed. And while I did not vote for Obama, I do relaize that he can not fix the whole economy in one term. You can't walk into Washington and just change everything. And abolishing the IRS - well, no comment there. I asked them how much they paid in taxes last year and most of them said they worked off the books as freelance artist. Oh! So they want to punish Wall Street when they do pay taxes to help support our country, but then they don't even pay taxes themselves.

Half these people need to go home and stop wasting my money. The other half that has a valid reason to protest and know what they stand for I have no problem with.
I would venture that half the tea party supporters are air heads, too. Both the tea party and the Occupy people DO share discontent with the current situation.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2001 View Post
Well, I said way earlier in the thread that I'd be surprised and annoyed at demonstrators outside my workplace in Jersey City - well, it happened today, so I have to eat my words.

However, there weren't many AT ALL. It was really quite underwhelming. There were more of us inside the building gawking at them and commenting what idiots they are than there were of the protesters.
What an attitude. I would feel sorry that there are so many who want jobs and cannot get them. I would feel thankful that I was working and brining home the bacon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City