U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 PM

4,502 posts, read 12,965,567 times

Advertisements

These "protests" are going to accomplish nothing.

They "protest" on weekends when Wall St is closed.
They're asleep (most of them) until 10am. They "march" to the UES while all the billionaires are at WORK --- protesting to the maids and nannies isn't going to help
They have no leadership or organization
They have no agenda other than "Wall Street" and "Banks"
When mega-rich celebs show up (as another poster said), they welcome them with open arms
When Fox-5 news gave them a case of umbrellas today, the female who took them demanded tents (making the whole crew look like a-holes)

Of course, there were tons and tons of wrong, illegal, immoral things that went on that destroyed our economy. However, I just can't see these people and their little campouts doing anything that is going to get any other attention except "today is day 25 of occupy wall street and it's raining". They're accomplished nothing and I believe, once the weather turns, they'll all scatter back to the warmth of their parents homes with stories about their protest and sleeping in the park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,025,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Given that it is the public unions and obama's machine that is behind these laughable "protests" - the far left's attempt to offset the totally legit tea party agenda - there is really no credence to be given to these frauds, anarchists, dimwits, psychotics and other assorted human flotsam stinking up the souther portion of manhattan.
All the cheese has slipped off someones cracker.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 PM

193 posts, read 277,587 times
As I mentioned earlier in this thread I do catering part time. Tonight I worked a dinner at the MET for the board of directors.

I overheard part of a conversation between one of the members of the board and another female guest who was sitting at my table.

She said to him, "I used to think that was the most dangerous thing in the country, but now what's happening in Zuccotti park is the most dangerous thing in this country", to which he agreed stating, "The markets are spooked, the corporations are spooked" at which point I was finished serving and unfortunately could not hear the rest of their conversation.

This was a serious conversation, they were not being sarcastic.

But these protests don't matter, right?

Old 10-13-2011, 12:02 AM

22,049 posts, read 26,362,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it turned out that the organizers watched some old footage of protest movements in the 60s. Those things got turnouts! But, as a quick glance at the calendar reveals, it isn't 1967 any more.
Well, they certainly aren't watching footage of the recent protests in France over raising the retirement age to 62, or the road-blocking protests I got caught up in while traveling to Bolivia and Argentina!

They would merely laugh at our timid protests!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I really don't understand what, or whom, these Occupy Wall St protesters are protesting. I don't think even they know.
Off the top of my head, I could think of 20 long overdue protests, of 20 different issues, going on in this country simultaneously, and everything all got blended together. How can they zero in on one issue, when there's so many issues to address!!!

The main thing, is the ball is starting to roll, that's all that matters!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
They might have some good points but now these demonstrations are costing the city $ and taking police away from high crime areas.
Lol! High crime areas? Let's never forget: a college degree gives you a license to steal!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 06:55 AM

292 posts, read 678,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Lol! High crime areas? Let's never forget: a college degree gives you a license to steal!!!
That doesn't even make sense. Are you saying there is some sort of acceptability in street crime?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 AM

292 posts, read 678,628 times
What was disturbing is that one of the speakers at Occupy LA was advocating violence. And the crowd was agreeing with him. That moron is going to get a lot of protesters shot and killed.

The PJ Tatler » Occupy L.A. Speaker: Violence will be Necessary to Achieve Our Goals

Old 10-13-2011, 07:43 AM

8,747 posts, read 17,620,269 times
Sometimes you have to resort to violence. Do you think in Egypt or Tunisia, had the protestors "filed for a permit" and abided by all laws in order to change their government that anything would have changed or happened? The answer is NO! Do you think the Tea Party (the real historic one) revolt against the British would have succeeded had they simply had a civil "sit in", authorized and controlled by the British?

Do you think anything would have changed for Black people had they simply CONTINUED to abide by the rules which permanently kept them an underclass? I am all for preaceful protests FIRST, but if that gets you nowhere...you must revolt. Learn our history....in MOST cases it is how we have made the progress to the great nation we are today.

The only moron here is you...god forbid anyone loses their life in order to achieve something greater. Imagine if everyone was so worried about their own life that the greater good just didn't matter. Are you a moron for risking your life to make your family's lives safer?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 AM

193 posts, read 277,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
What was disturbing is that one of the speakers at Occupy LA was advocating violence. And the crowd was agreeing with him. That moron is going to get a lot of protesters shot and killed.

The PJ Tatler » Occupy L.A. Speaker: Violence will be Necessary to Achieve Our Goals

I have a book for you The Wretched of the Earth by Franz Fanon. See what he says about the relationship between violence and fighting for equality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City