U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 AM

8,747 posts, read 17,628,867 times

Advertisements

I agree Abe...at this point the attitude by our elected officials and corporations is "so long as you abide by the rules, file the right permits, don't litter, and speak quietly so that you don't disturb neighbors you can keep being silly" means there is no respect by our elected officials, they are living in a fantasy world and have no idea what this movement is about, and aren't interested in changing anything...ever.

As a result, the more the movement is ignored, denigrated, denied, the more it will grow, and the movement will come to a realization that in order to ACTUALLY be listened to and impact change, violence will be necessary. When that happens, either politicians will raise the bar and create a more violent situation by clashing with the people, or they will take heed and start the dialogue about change.

I am betting violence will be necessary in some form...and it will only work if it scares the sh!$ out of people, politicians, and corporations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:49 AM

193 posts, read 277,697 times
Right on Sobro - this country has a history of bringing in the military to break up protests.

People still think that writing your congressman/woman will have real change, they still think that there is an actual choice in a two party system where both parties cater to business over citizens. Aside from local politics, there is no real dialogue between government and the governed through the 'appropriate' channels.

You want to get your congressperson's attention? Get out in the street with 20,000 of your friends.

If the weather doesn't get rid of the protesters, you better believe force will eventually be used after they exhaust other methods.

Some people need to read Malcom X.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 AM

16,217 posts, read 21,766,939 times
Abe

Sobro

I agree with you both Here Here.

Violence is necessary in replacing any form of tyranny. Peaceful protesting does very little to nothing to be exact. Anyone who believes other wise REALLY needs to go learn their history, but the only question that I would have is would things change for the better afterwards? I mean is that always the case

Old 10-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Poll: ‘Occupy Wall St.’ much more popular than Obama, tea party | The Raw Story

Time poll shows some interesting numbers.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Violence is necessary in replacing any form of tyranny. Peaceful protesting does very little to nothing to be exact. Anyone who believes other wise REALLY needs to go learn their history, but the only question that I would have is would things change for the better afterwards? I mean is that always the case
Peaceful protests in the middle east have made a huge impact on each nations respective societies, but then you have examples like Libya where they had to take the next step.

To the point in bold, if you look at Egypt people are still protesting because the military has not come through on its promises. But I would venture to say that if you ask an Egyptian if it was better under Mubarak, they would laugh at the question.

What happens afterwards should be dealt with afterwards, all that matters now is the present and making our voices heard, because when was the last time regular Americans had an outlet to show solidarity like this and to voice their opinions to the WORLD like this?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:08 PM

8,680 posts, read 14,668,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
I have a book for you The Wretched of the Earth by Franz Fanon. See what he says about the relationship between violence and fighting for equality.

Before people get out the pitchforks and scythes, have you moved your money yet?

[URL="http://www.cutimes.com/2011/10/10/bank-transfer-day-causes-cu-buzz"]Bank Transfer Day Causes CU Buzz[/URL]

Money is the only language these people understand. Give them the silent treatment.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM

1,123 posts, read 738,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Sometimes you have to resort to violence. Do you think in Egypt or Tunisia, had the protestors "filed for a permit" and abided by all laws in order to change their government that anything would have changed or happened? The answer is NO! Do you think the Tea Party (the real historic one) revolt against the British would have succeeded had they simply had a civil "sit in", authorized and controlled by the British?

Do you think anything would have changed for Black people had they simply CONTINUED to abide by the rules which permanently kept them an underclass? I am all for preaceful protests FIRST, but if that gets you nowhere...you must revolt. Learn our history....in MOST cases it is how we have made the progress to the great nation we are today.

The only moron here is you...god forbid anyone loses their life in order to achieve something greater. Imagine if everyone was so worried about their own life that the greater good just didn't matter. Are you a moron for risking your life to make your family's lives safer?
So, now the far left psychotics are espousing violence. Cool, does that mean I can bash the heads of illegal aliens and public union employees for stealing my tax dollars?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 PM

22,086 posts, read 26,403,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
What was disturbing is that one of the speakers at Occupy LA was advocating violence. And the crowd was agreeing with him. That moron is going to get a lot of protesters shot and killed.
Creative, imaginative RAI's (Random Acts of Irritation) would be just as effective!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM

8,747 posts, read 17,628,867 times
Sterpetron, had it not been for the violence of "left psychotics" you would still be a British subject, overtaxed, unrepresented, and a second class citizen begging for equal treatment, slavery would still be legal, women would not be allowed in school or work outside the home, and on and on...

How you can compare that to bashing the heads in of union workers is sad and twisted. When are you leaving NYC again?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:39 AM
bg7

7,695 posts, read 9,831,049 times
"you would still be a British subject, overtaxed, unrepresented, and a second class citizen begging for equal treatment, slavery would still be legal,"

Doesn't make much sense, slavery was abolished in the British Empire way before it ended in the US. Also, Lincoln was a republican.

"Do you think the Tea Party (the real historic one) revolt against the British would have succeeded had they simply had a civil "sit in", authorized and controlled by the British?"

Basically thats what worked for Ghandi in India against the British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City