U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-15-2011, 05:43 AM
 
Location: New York City
559 posts, read 1,064,548 times
Reputation: 387

Advertisements

I don't know why my original post was censored, but the groups I was referring to were the "pro-life" groups who blocked a*b*o*r*t*i*o*n clinics. Why is that word banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
They've lost the use of their park, and they now have to put up with the congestion, noise, and dirt.

And if demonstrators can gum up a private property like Zuccoti Park, does that mean that other groups were also right to do so?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2011, 09:11 AM
 
292 posts, read 679,034 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
I don't know why my original post was censored, but the groups I was referring to were the "pro-life" groups who blocked a*b*o*r*t*i*o*n clinics. Why is that word banned?
How is that even comparable? No other group has stayed for weeks and weeks on end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 02:43 PM
 
12 posts, read 6,005 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Second, I'm not really up to date on the Wall Street protests, but they don't seem comparable in terms of the interference or feeling of being threatened.
What does that have to do with the people who live near the park, don't work on Wall Street and have nothing to do with banking?

There are residents there whose rights are being undermined by the protestors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: New Jersey!!!!
16,098 posts, read 11,337,662 times
Reputation: 17744
Give some substance to your statement. It is meaningless as is. Just remember that my quote includes "except in places where it specifically mentions the states", which the 15th does (since you imply I stopped reading after 14).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 PM
 
Location: New York City
559 posts, read 1,064,548 times
Reputation: 387
Default The Wall Street Occupiers are so White!

I saw the protest march today. It took about 20 minutes for everyone to march past my spot.

They're so white!

Sure, there are black and brown faces here and there. But it was like the 2000 Republican convention, with raisins sprinkled on white bread.

I think it's because "people of color" like, well, like any other people, are too busy making a living: like the Mexicans singing ranchero music on the subway train I rode later, the Indians and Chinese hawking cheap items on Canal, the Pakistanis driving cabs, the Blacks nannying in the parks.
In short, these ralliers are pretty much like the beautiful, right-thinking folks of Ann Arbor, Greenwich Village, and Boulder. They basically don't need to work. That we should all be so lucky!

Vogue or Harper's Bazaar should have sent someone to cover the event. The demonstrators' pretty scarves were knotted just the right way, with one Black drummer sporting a Burberry scarf. The young women were very attractive--and most of the young men all seemed to look like, or tried to look like, Gael Garcia Bernal. In fact, it could have been any regular spread on the NY Times Thursday Styles section.

By the way, one of those young men had a sign reading "Impeach Bernanke." Isn't that the demand of Rick Perry and other right-wing Republicans? And beside the signs denouncing bailouts were people from the United Auto Workers. But didn't Detroit get bailed out, thereby benefiting the UAW? And don't many of those blue-collar types hate Obama anyway, and could lead to his losing Michigan in 2012?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: NC
4,110 posts, read 4,293,512 times
Reputation: 1372
America is so white!

And the "Impeach Bernanke" sign-holder is spot on and exactly what the media will NOT show you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 06:53 PM
 
876 posts, read 2,081,286 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
I saw the protest march today. It took about 20 minutes for everyone to march past my spot.

They're so white!

Sure, there are black and brown faces here and there. But it was like the 2000 Republican convention, with raisins sprinkled on white bread.

I think it's because "people of color" like, well, like any other people, are too busy making a living: like the Mexicans singing ranchero music on the subway train I rode later, the Indians and Chinese hawking cheap items on Canal, the Pakistanis driving cabs, the Blacks nannying in the parks.
In short, these ralliers are pretty much like the beautiful, right-thinking folks of Ann Arbor, Greenwich Village, and Boulder. They basically don't need to work. That we should all be so lucky!

Vogue or Harper's Bazaar should have sent someone to cover the event. The demonstrators' pretty scarves were knotted just the right way, with one Black drummer sporting a Burberry scarf. The young women were very attractive--and most of the young men all seemed to look like, or tried to look like, Gael Garcia Bernal. In fact, it could have been any regular spread on the NY Times Thursday Styles section.

By the way, one of those young men had a sign reading "Impeach Bernanke." Isn't that the demand of Rick Perry and other right-wing Republicans? And beside the signs denouncing bailouts were people from the United Auto Workers. But didn't Detroit get bailed out, thereby benefiting the UAW? And don't many of those blue-collar types hate Obama anyway, and could lead to his losing Michigan in 2012?
People like you sicken me. Many "wall street occupiers" have parents who work so they can march and protest not just for them but for you. They are doing this for everyone. Yes they wake up in the middle of the day and at night doing drugs and getting laid but come on dont these young kids of working people have a right to have fun when they arent working hard protesting for your freedom. Many of them want what everyone wants. They have student loans that they dont want to pay, they have car loans they dont want to pay, they are in debt and dont want to pay it. Let the tax payers pay it is what they say. If the tax payers can bail out the banks why cant they get some of that free money. I cant believe anyone here disagree with that kind of thinking and if you do disagree then you must be a close minded person who works too hard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 PM
 
876 posts, read 2,081,286 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
America is so white!

And the "Impeach Bernanke" sign-holder is spot on and exactly what the media will NOT show you!
Why wont the media show you that? Why does the media want bernanke to be the chairman of the fed?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 18,198,456 times
Reputation: 8884
I just saw the news - protests in many places in the U.S. and also all over the world. Spain has had a group protesting for 50 days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 PM
 
4,988 posts, read 7,859,133 times
Reputation: 4522
1. Wall Street

2. Occupy it

3. ?????????

4. Profit!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top