U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2011, 04:48 PM

375 posts, read 465,810 times

Advertisements

OWS might have had some valid points but now it's out of control. Disrupting people's commute is a dumb move, not to mention the violence. And the media called the tea party "dangerous" and "extremist".
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 PM

4,502 posts, read 7,942,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
I've yet to see one person who criticizes the OWS come up with any solution to solve this countries problems.

Thank you!! I guess their "solution" is to camp out in a park, scream and yell at school children, disrupt people's commutes, and walk across a bridge. GREAT solution.

What they don't "get" is that "wall street" and "big banks" aren't paying them any attention. If they really want to make changes, they need to organize. As it is right now? It's just a group of people walking around and yelling and waving signs.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 PM

160 posts, read 108,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Thank you!! I guess their "solution" is to camp out in a park, scream and yell at school children, disrupt people's commutes, and walk across a bridge. GREAT solution.

What they don't "get" is that "wall street" and "big banks" aren't paying them any attention. If they really want to make changes, they need to organize. As it is right now? It's just a group of people walking around and yelling and waving signs.
.....if you read closer he was asking OWS detractors what their solutions were. Also please don't stop posting. I enjoy them.

Quote:
I've yet to see one person who criticizes the OWS come up with any solution to solve this countries problems.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,407,553 times
Abe, the march yesterday was a bust. 1000, a generous estimate by all accounts, was a miserable number to gather in the largest city in the country. I heard they were mostly union members, too.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:44 PM

696 posts, read 234,754 times
The OWS people, as a whole, are not interested in understanding. They are interested in transforming our current system, which they do not understand to a system they cannot describe for reasons they cannot properly communicate through demands they cannot enumerate. Do you see the beginnings of a problem here?

OWS can claim that it’s spontaneous and grassroots, but it’s not. The movement can claim that it is protesting cronyism, but it’s not. It can also claim that it represents the 99%, but the more information that is presented about OWS, the smaller that percentage becomes. At the current rate, we will be down to 2% by Christmas and 1% by the time the NBA plays a regular season game.

The presence of professional protesters such as Lisa Fithian have been documented at OWS from the first day. If the OWS people were really protesting crony capitalism, wouldn’t they also protest the elected guardians of public interest? It takes two sides to produce cronyism, after all.

When I look at OWS, an old cold war term comes to mind. It was a term the Soviets used regarding their clueless followers in the West. Some of these dupes who pushed the wishes of the Soviet Union still write for the New York Times, and still with no idea of what they were helping create. The term for them was “Useful Idiots”.

So, blatantly standing in our public places, incredibly arrogant in their ignorance, we see the newest version of the Useful Idiots. The people whose knowledge is without fact, whose assumptions are asinine and whose very existence raises questions about the validity of the theory of survival of the fittest.

I watched the inglorious hippie-crits jealously clutching their electronic toys while decrying capitalism, the very source of their web-based joy. The irony was both cold and instructive – to me. To the hippie-crits, who have no desire to learn from reality, the only chilling moments came from a bitter breeze.

Former Treasurer for the Black Panthers, American Communist Party and Democrat Party member David Horowitz, said in his interview last week that the OWS protestors are being used by Obama and the Left as their new brand of Useful Idiots. In other words, the OWS protestors are protesting the mess that they are in because of who they Voted for in 2008.

Last edited by hogstooth; 11-18-2011 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
.....if you read closer he was asking OWS detractors what their solutions were. Also please don't stop posting. I enjoy them.

Misread his post..... I'd like to see what solutions the OWS people have? Please, tell me... what are their solutions other than camping outs, screaming at school children, and blocking other 99%ers from getting to where they need to be?

The thing about you and other OWS supporters is this: You think that anyone who disagrees with you is against change. Quite the contrary. I know big banks and the government screwed many, many citizens. However, doing what OWS is doing is NOT going to make any change whatsoever.

AV, please, tell me (and others) what is YOUR solution? Since you are (or claim to be) one of the OWS group, what is the solution?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:04 PM

1,308 posts, read 1,314,495 times
Quote:
The solution is very simple and it all rests with the citizenry.

The citizenry simply has to move its conspicuous consumption to the rear and become vigilant about exactly who it is that they elect and what it is that they do. They cannot simply elect representatives and then pass of the responsibility as to how the country is governed. This is what the citizenry has been doing for decades now.

It doesn't matter how much the corporations spend in lobbying. It doesn't matter who the media chooses to hype.
After everything is said and done, it is still 'one man, one vote'. Citizens have the right to assemble every single day and petition the government to address grievances. That the citizenry chooses to eat up the propaganda and participate in the status quo political system does not take away that it is still a choice.

In a relatively free society with vast amounts of open sources of information, the political system is a reflection of the citizenry. It is about time that citizens of this country learn that choosing American Idol ,a sports game over, or the pursuit of the newest gadget over active participation in your political system has consequences. The solution when these consequences emerge, is not to cry about the fact that there were consequences to begin with but to change the behavior which led to them.

The political and economic system in the US is broken because citizenship is broken. Not the other way around.
Trying to fix the political and economic system without "fixing" the citizenry is an exercise in futility.

If you ran a red light and got into an accident, who's to blame? Every variable but the driver's actions?

Last edited by wawaweewa; 11-18-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 07:20 PM

I have the PERFECT solution to completely screw the big banks:

Every single adult in this country should file BANKRUPTCY..... even if you aren't in a financial bind. If everyone filed bankruptcy and the bankruptcy was granted, the banks would lose a whole lot of money (ie: credit card debt being discharged, car notes, loans, etc).

Who cares if it "messes up your credit report"??? You no longer want to deal with big banks, so you won't have to worry about anyone checking your credit.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 PM

1,308 posts, read 1,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I have the PERFECT solution to completely screw the big banks:

Every single adult in this country should file BANKRUPTCY..... even if you aren't in a financial bind. If everyone filed bankruptcy and the bankruptcy was granted, the banks would lose a whole lot of money (ie: credit card debt being discharged, car notes, loans, etc).

Who cares if it "messes up your credit report"??? You no longer want to deal with big banks, so you won't have to worry about anyone checking your credit.
Except that you have to meet certain conditions to file for bankruptcy protection?

Also, bankruptcy protection cannot function if the system isn't solvent enough to absorb losses from bankruptcies. As a soceity we've decided that people should be given second (or third or fourth...) chances as a result of poor financial decisions and that society will eat those losses. If no one is there to absorb the losses then there can be no second chances.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:50 PM

3,956 posts, read 5,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
Excellent title for that article and a reason why it is worth nothing : "VETERAN AGITATORS".... aw, gees, you need veteran agitators from lord knows where to teach the ipod/macbook/tablet children camping out..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City