U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 PM

35 posts, read 102,004 times

Advertisements

Hey all
I'm pretty new to this forum. I got a travel nurse assignment to work at a hospital in Flushing, NY and may also live there (if I can't get housing in Manhattan). Was wondering what the area is like. My travel company pays for my housing and utilities, so those aren't issues. I'm mostly interested in how the people and the energy of the neighborhood are. I know that it's mostly Asian and, even though I am Asian, English is DEFINITELY my language of comfort and most of my friends are non-Asian. I'm also single and was wondering how the dating scene (if existent) is around there, too, although I assume that I'll be spending most of my days off in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 08:21 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,774,987 times
It's NYC's 2nd Chinatown. I have taken my real estate classes there several times. It feels more "big city" than the actual Manhattan Chinatown does, at least to me. It is always crowded on the main streets, and there have recently been a lot more infilling of high rises near the main Flushing "downtown." The 7 subway train begins in Flushing--so your commute to the city will be about 40 mins or so (I think)--but there are some express routes on the 7 train too. The real estate prices in the past several years have exploded in Flushing, also.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:47 PM

823 posts, read 3,374,950 times
I moved from Flushing to Long Island 7 years ago. Flushing has many distinct areas. Downtown is an Asian enclave. Then you have sections that are all private homes and others that have high rise co-ops. Which hospital are you talking about?

The #7 train from Manhattan to Flushing is one of worst ones I have used (at one time I commuted daily to and from Manhattan on the #7). It is overcrowded. It has a stop at Shea Stadium so when the Mets are playing there you can't believe how packed the trains get.

The Chinese restaurants in downtown Flushing are among the best in the city and much more reasonably priced then in China Town.

You can always live in another area in Queens and still have easy access to Flushing by bus.

I am married so I don't know what the dating scene is like.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 PM

35 posts, read 102,004 times
I'll be working at NY Hospital Medical Center of Queens. Do the business owners speak English or am I going to have problems communicating whenever I need to go to the store or restaurant around there?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
I moved from Flushing to Long Island 7 years ago. Flushing has many distinct areas. Downtown is an Asian enclave. Then you have sections that are all private homes and others that have high rise co-ops. Which hospital are you talking about?

The #7 train from Manhattan to Flushing is one of worst ones I have used (at one time I commuted daily to and from Manhattan on the #7). It is overcrowded. It has a stop at Shea Stadium so when the Mets are playing there you can't believe how packed the trains get.

The Chinese restaurants in downtown Flushing are among the best in the city and much more reasonably priced then in China Town.

You can always live in another area in Queens and still have easy access to Flushing by bus.

I am married so I don't know what the dating scene is like.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 AM

823 posts, read 3,374,950 times
I lived quite near that hospital. The area is multi cultural and you will have no language problem whatsoever. It is not located near any subway station so you would have to get there by bus or car (if you have one). There is also a lot of areas near it where you will be able to find an apartment.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:58 AM

1,990 posts, read 6,975,056 times
Flushing is a HUGE area of Queens. Most people think Flushing is only the downtown area ( the area around the 7 train with a LARGE Asian population). However, Flushing is broken into many areas such as Willets Point (Iorn Triangle. The area around Shea). South Flushing (areas getting towards Jamaica), areas going as far as north and east Bayside and Whitestone, and as west as Maspeth.

Downtown is a GREAT place to get Chinese Food. (East Manor IMO, is the best!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City