Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:31 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times

Advertisements

I was in your shoes at that age...stuck in Ohio and dreaming of moving to the SF Bay Area (which I did, and made it). Now stuck somewhere else and dreaming of when I can move to the NY area, but that's off-topic.
Point is, you just have to endure and plan in the meantime. Between your budgeted trips, concentrate on school, try to see past what's around you, and stay focused on what you have to do to "make it" in the city once you're there. You have 4-5 years to kill, which is a long time as a teenager, but just remember what you're working towards.
SummerBabe may be correct to a certain extent that you may be in a bit of a dream, but hey even if you have to learn the hard way once you get there, you'll still learn and adjust. Good luck, and I hope you get there.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:21 PM

14 posts, read 13,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
Forget about NYC and focus on getting some help for your depression (assuming you aren't already). Speak to your Mom or someone you trust about how you're feeling. Maybe a therapist?

Sure the City may be a euphoric place for many, but it can be a JUNGLE as well. I don't think you're in a position to experience this just yet. I could be wrong, but I'm just giving you my opinion from what I have read about you.

All the best!!! :-D
I'm getting help for my depression. Long Island is absolute hell. Honestly, I'd take a dirty, gritty NYC over a pristine LI any day. I love to feel worldly and in touch. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 PM

365 posts, read 502,093 times
Sound like an adult to me....
In any case, just slow down. The city is ALWAYS here.
Let your main concern be the books and your education. If you are, who you say you are, you'll be in the city in no time. In the meantime, just like everyone's said...take advantage of the free concerts, museums, fairs (which are probably winding down due to the change of season), and other activities. Given your young age, you may not be able to do EVERYTHING, but you will more than likely be able to do enough to wet your pallet for NYC's life. Until then, be careful. This city is an amazing place...however, it can also be a dangerous one too. Especially for someone wanting to experience something they've never been exposed to. Good luck in the future!

Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneboo View Post
Sound like an adult to me....
In any case, just slow down. The city is ALWAYS here.
Let your main concern be the books and your education. If you are, who you say you are, you'll be in the city in no time. In the meantime, just like everyone's said...take advantage of the free concerts, museums, fairs (which are probably winding down due to the change of season), and other activities. Given your young age, you may not be able to do EVERYTHING, but you will more than likely be able to do enough to wet your pallet for NYC's life. Until then, be careful. This city is an amazing place...however, it can also be a dangerous one too. Especially for someone wanting to experience something they've never been exposed to. Good luck in the future!
Rep to you...this was very helpful. Thanks a bunch.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:09 PM

213 posts, read 404,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny NYY View Post
My current plan is to (hopefully) get financial aid and student loans to go to Columbia University, focus on my studies, and maybe get a job in business after seven years of college.
Benny,

You come across as a bright and intelligent young man, and you have stated here something that definitely is a plan. Believe me , I know.

When I was in the eighth grade and throughout high school, I too suffered from depression and melancholia. I was a social misfit and considered a nerd and geek by my fellow students. Having no interest in or facility for sports, I was considered what the boys in those days called a "sissy".

But fairly early on I realized the one power I had in me, the thing no one could take from me, was to focus on academic achievement - to learn and learn and be a successful student and scholar. I was above average in intelligence, but certainly no genius. I studied hard and diligently applied myself. I never let the put downs of my contemporaries or other setbacks get me off track.

And it worked. I won a full scholarship to an excellent private high school that my parents could never have afforded (though some of my fellow students there were not exactly nice to me) as well as full scholarships to the University and to graduate school.

As a result I realized my life goal to be an academic mathematician (for me Mathematics is the most beautiful of all intellectual disciplines and it was something I wanted to devote my life to). I recently retired from a successful 40 year academic career (every moment of which I loved).

Don't mean to get you involved in my life story, but as an old, retired guy now I look back at when life seemed so dark and bleak, and realize that the power to accomplish things was really in me.

And so it is with you. You have to be patient, you have to learn from your mistakes and setbacks, but I get this vibe from your posts that you definitely have it in you - in your heart, soul and mind - to accomplish what you want. You got what it takes, kid, so put it to good use and realize that in the long run IT WILL PAY OFF.

Good luck young man, and keep the faith (in yourself).

Old 09-19-2011, 12:14 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
I didn't read the rest of the thread and someone probably already said this but you need to get a handle on that depression while you're still young. I don't mean pills/medication necessarily. Whatever works for you.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I didn't read the rest of the thread and someone probably already said this but you need to get a handle on that depression while you're still young. I don't mean pills/medication necessarily. Whatever works for you.
See, the thing is, I don't know what works for me. The city works for me. That's it. I'm still trying to figure myself out. NYC is part of my blood.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Benny, I came back to peruse the answers, and am surprised that so few people gave specific answers about NYC, yet several treated you as though you were practically ready for an insane asylum for having dared to say that you were depressed.

But I was thinking of you and had an idea for you to contemplate. You didn't mention any specific interests, but you might like to see if you could get together a group of people, a few kids from school, for casual NYC outings. If might lead to more friends for you, and it's always fun to have someone with you, so you can say, "Wow, did you see that?" You might have a little informal club that went into the city every other month with a specific destination, maybe followed by a little stroll. Think about it.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:56 AM

14 posts, read 38,597 times
I don't really have any advice, I just wanted to say that you have an amazing vocabulary for an 8th grader.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Benny, I came back to peruse the answers, and am surprised that so few people gave specific answers about NYC, yet several treated you as though you were practically ready for an insane asylum for having dared to say that you were depressed.

But I was thinking of you and had an idea for you to contemplate. You didn't mention any specific interests, but you might like to see if you could get together a group of people, a few kids from school, for casual NYC outings. If might lead to more friends for you, and it's always fun to have someone with you, so you can say, "Wow, did you see that?" You might have a little informal club that went into the city every other month with a specific destination, maybe followed by a little stroll. Think about it.
That's not a bad idea! I'll think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroboT800 View Post
I don't really have any advice, I just wanted to say that you have an amazing vocabulary for an 8th grader.
Well, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City