Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:57 AM

69 posts, read 156,216 times

Advertisements

Over the last couple months I have noticed a lot more junkies, bums and general signs of decay around the city.
Anyone else see this and think we are going to take a bit of a ride back to the 70's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarani View Post
Over the last couple months I have noticed a lot more junkies, bums and general signs of decay around the city.
Interesting that you said that.

I've mentioned that to a few people in the last 2 weeks to total agreement.

This is only my third year in NYC, but it's noticeable. I walk to work when the weather's nice and there are panhandlers and homeless sleeping in places where there weren't the previous two years.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:14 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Default Yup.

There has been more social decay as of late. The last 2 years or so. I notice more people by the subways, either asking for money, or hassling people at the Metrocard vending machines. This is the worst. One time last year i left my unlimited card home, and just needed a regular fare to get on. A guy came up behind me and hit cancel saying i did not need the machine, he would swipe me in for 2.00 I got into an argument with him, I was so angry. A cop came walking by and he took off. This also happens at some convenience stores, with aggressive panhandlers hanging out around some storefronts. Since then, I will not use a metrocard vending machine (They suck anyway) and keep an eye out for who is in front of the stores. i quit smoking also in part because some folks ask you for a smoke, which is cool with me but then they need $5.00, etc also. The cigarette made it a convenient reason to stop me.

I defiantly make sure I am aware of my surroundings when walking about. Though this should be done anywhere in today's world.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:27 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
I think this sort of stuff isn't limited to NYC and is happening everywhere. It might be more noticeable in NY though since the city was being more aggressive with preventing that sort of thing.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
I notice a hell of a lot more people with food stamps now then I use to.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:45 PM

224 posts, read 347,786 times
What? I don't know about the outer boroughs but i've been just returned to Manhattan from three months away and I was just thinking how much prettier and sparklier the city is looking! New parks, new buildings, new landscaping.

Do you mean social decay? If so, I do notice more of them when I travel around. Thank Goodness my neighborhood is very white collar and heavily patrolled so I don't notice many poor downtrodden looking people unless I'm traveling out or using public transportation.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:54 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
Do you mean social decay? If so, I do notice more of them when I travel around. Thank Goodness my neighborhood is very white collar and heavily patrolled so I don't notice many poor downtrodden looking people unless I'm traveling out or using public transportation.

Well Thank Goodness for that!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 03:00 PM

69 posts, read 156,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
What? I don't know about the outer boroughs but i've been just returned to Manhattan from three months away and I was just thinking how much prettier and sparklier the city is looking! New parks, new buildings, new landscaping.

I live in Manhattan.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,503 times
I've noticed more young homeless people around but the overall numbers seem the same to me.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
I live in Manhattan and just saw a homeless person sleeping in an area I have never seen homeless people in before. Also, someone stole a fricking statue from in front of a neighboring building. Things are definitely getting worse.

In the whole realm of "broken windows" policing, I've also noticed a lot more radio playing on the subway and general unruliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City