Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:33 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times

Advertisements

Some of these are funny - because for many I'm like 'how else would I say it?'. I got called out for saying "standing on line" when I went away to college. Also things like tag sale vs yard sale. You don't think about it really, you're just so used to saying it the way you always heard it growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 01:50 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
Agreed. Plus, everyone I know doesn't say "Dunkin Donuts" but "the Indian coffee place".
It seems that Indians make up the majority of people that work at DD

@Jcoltrane - Actually I frequent Westway on 44th and 9th.

And I've always called them a bodega - I guess it is a blanket term for me.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
growing up I heard both Spanish store and bodega, my neighbor was Pr and she always would say tienda.

other cases

you bought a sandwich from pathmark and enjoyed it
you literally say vim instead of pronouncing it vee I emm lol!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:00 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
hmmm...I say "lemmie get"...as in "lemmie get a slice"
And you call a slice of cheese pizza “plain” rather than “cheese.”

Old 09-19-2011, 02:09 PM

288 posts, read 566,639 times
And what you call "pizza" in NY is actually an abomination compared to the real thing from Italy.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 PM

166 posts, read 443,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
you literally say vim instead of pronouncing it vee I emm lol!
vee I emmm the best jeans and sneaker store in America...*it's fresh!* with name brands you loooooveee

I will never be able to forget this commercial

Old 09-19-2011, 02:43 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
And what you call "pizza" in NY is actually an abomination compared to the real thing from Italy.
As long as I can by it for 99C a slice, throw garlic on it, fold it up and eat it, then I prefer the abomination pizza.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM

179 posts, read 261,732 times
A friend of mine sent me this email
[SIZE=5]Only those who grew up in New York will understand this:

THERE IS NO NORTH AND SOUTH.
IT'S 'UPTOWN' OR 'DOWNTOWN'.
AND EAST OR WEST IS 'CROSS-TOWN'.

YOU RIDE IN A SUBWAY CAR WITH NO AIR CONDITIONING JUST BECAUSE THERE ARE SEATS AVAILABLE.

YOU TAKE THE TRAIN HOME AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHERE ON THE PLATFORM THE DOORS WILL OPEN THAT WILL LEAVE YOU RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE EXIT STAIRWAY.

YOU KNOW WHAT A 'REGULAR' COFFEE IS.

IT'S NOT MANHATTAN .... IT'S "THE CITY "

YOU CROSS THE STREET ANYWHERE BUT ON THE CORNERS AND YOU YELL AT CARS FOR NOT RESPECTING YOUR RIGHT TO DO IT.

YOU MOVE 3,000 MILES AWAY, SPEND 10 YEARS LEARNING THE LOCAL LANGUAGE AND PEOPLE STILL KNOW YOU'RE FROM BROOKLYN, LONG ISLAND OR THE BRONX THE MINUTE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH.

YOU RETURN AFTER 10 YEARS AND THE FIRST FOODS YOU WANT ARE A 'REAL' PIZZA , A 'REAL' BAGEL, AND 'REAL' CHINESE FOOD.

YOU ARE NOT UNDER THE MISTAKEN IMPRESSION THAT ANY HUMAN BEING WOULD BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND A PUBLIC ADDRESS ANNOUNCEMENT ON THE SUBWAY.

YOU'RE NOT THE LEAST BIT INTERESTED IN GOING TO TIMES SQUARE ON NEW YEAR'S EVE.

YOUR INTERNAL CLOCK IS PERMANENTLY SET TO KNOW WHEN ALTERNATE SIDE OF THE STREET PARKING REGULATIONS ARE IN EFFECT.

YOU KNOW WHAT A BODEGA IS.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE][SIZE=5]

SOMEONE BUMPS INTO YOU AND YOU CHECK FOR YOUR WALLET.

YOU DON'T EVEN NOTICE THE LADY WALKING DOWN THE STREET HAVING A PERFECTLY NORMAL CONVERSATION WITH HERSELF.

YOU CRINGE AT HEARING PEOPLE PRONOUNCE ' HOUSTON ' STREET LIKE THE CITY IN TEXAS .

THE PRESIDENTIAL VISIT IS A MAJOR TRAFFIC JAM, NOT AN HONOR.

YOU CAN NAP ON THE SUBWAY AND NEVER MISS YOUR STOP.

THAT'S NEW YORK , BABY! YA GOTTA LOVE IT.
[/SIZE]

Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
When you happily live and work outside of Manhattan and you avoid going there even though it's only 30 mins away.Why bother most of the time ?

Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,434 times
You think of the red "Don't Walk" sign as a mere suggestion - perhaps even a dare.

If you're driving over the Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridge and see one of those stupid double decker tourist buses, you will risk a traffic pile up to somehow get around and ahead of it. Cause without a doubt, it's gonna go in the right lane, mid-span and CRAWL so that all the tourists can get pictures.

You cringe at the Hollywood mistakes of having them say on Blue Bloods: "They're headed south on the BQE". Or that disaster movie that had the main characters walking the subway tracks. Starting off at 14th St and ending up at Columbus Circle in like a 7 minute time period. Yeah, that's realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City