Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,527 times

Advertisements

Hello!

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been reading quite a bit.

I am currently a resident of Manhattan and have been for 5 years, but am ready to branch out (and save some money of course). My boyfriend and I are looking to move out of Manhattan, and we are open to Westchester, Queens, basically anyplace that we could keep the rent for a one bedroom at around 1600. I know this can be tough, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum had any opinions on the outlying areas of NYC! We just want to be able to start saving, and living in Manhattan is just not allowing that.

Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
For 1600 you're looking at Bed-Stuy, Sunset Park, Astoria or Woodside Queens. You could also check out Harlem. I'm sure other posters will offer other alternative neighborhoods. Commuting via Metro North or LIRR will not save you a dime as the monthly passes on those trains are extremely expensive. Of course, I'm assuming you'll both continue to work in Manhattan.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,527 times
Yes, the plan was to continue working in Manhattan. We have looked at Astoria as well as Forest Hills, so those are both good options. Definitely won't be looking in Brooklyn, because it seems to be just as expensive in any of the areas we would consider living in. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
I'm surprised you've lived in Manhattan for five years and don't know about the other boroughs. My advice would be to visit each place, walk around, estimate your commute, and see how you feel. It's really a personal choice of "where" once you know your budget.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Check Jackson Heights. The transportation options are great (three stops to midtown on the E and F which run express in Queens) plus a few other trains. The historic district is very nice. Just take the train out and walk around. Concentrate on 37th Ave and 35th Ave from about 74th St. to 85th St. (37th Ave is commercial/residential and 35th is all residential)

I don't mind Forest Hills too but I guess it depends on what you are looking for. It has more upscale stores (chains) than Jackson Heights, ie Barnes and Noble, Gap, Anne Taylor, etc. but to me it lacks the energy that Jackson Heights has.

Try the Washington Plaza 73-12 35th Ave. I have heard good things about it and it's a quick walk to the main train hub.

Sunnyside is also a very good neighborhood and not to be missed during your search.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Your budget would also work well in parts of The Bronx, like Riverdale. Riverdale is very quiet, and almost sleepy, in comparison to popular Manhattan neighborhoods. The commute would be via Metro-North to Grand Central or express bus if you are separated from the subway, which happens to be most of Riverdale. The 1 is also a local, so that could be a consideration, if you were to take the subway and needed to commute far Downtown, such that the express bus might be easier.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreah3 View Post
Yes, the plan was to continue working in Manhattan. We have looked at Astoria as well as Forest Hills, so those are both good options. Definitely won't be looking in Brooklyn, because it seems to be just as expensive in any of the areas we would consider living in. Thanks for the feedback!
I suggest you also check out Rego Park in Queens.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:12 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
First you must define where you work in Manhattan and then define the commuting time each of you will tolerate.
That will give you something of a curcular outer perimeter.
Is New Jersey okay?

How much space would you like? Will a small one bedroom do, or do you want a large Junior 2.

Will you want to buy a car?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
You can easily (well, nothing is easy when it comes to apartments and NYC) get a nice 1 bedroom for $1,600 here in Bay Ridge/Fort Hamilton. Maybe even a little less! Travelling to Manhattan is a bit of a pain, though. It's a safe, clean area, not as hip as some other places, but still a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: