Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,037,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Bronx Man Mugged And Beaten For $15 Dies From Injuries: Gothamist

This is just sad and disgusting...what bothers me about this is that he was moving out of the neighborhood when this happened smh...
They keep mentioning the area as Fordham, and while it is a block up from Fordham, it happened on W. 190th street and Grand ave, which is University Heights in all it's glory. A very sad occurrence however. The vicinity of W 190th to W 192nd now have 4 homicides this year. The lower part of University Heights has become a safe haven when you compare it to the blocks just north of Fordham rd.

As I was walking home from work tonight, I took my usual route on University ave from Fordham down to 183rd, which is usually safer than the adjacent Andrews block. As I was nearing 183rd, I seen a group of guys hanging out in front of one of the buildings. They seem to be smoking something, I don't know if it was weed or cigarettes. As I approached, they all turned and stared at me. I knew I was in trouble, because as soon as I got in range, they started to walk very slowly in front of me. I guess they were trying to let me pass them, so they could surround me and proceed to rob me. I very intelligently entered the now empty building and waited for like 4 minutes. Now the point of this was to make them think that I either had a connect in the building or that I lived there. Anyways, I gathered to the cojones to keep walking, and was 100% sure they were trying to rob people because 2 of them where standing across the street and the other 3 walked back towards me. One of them said in spanish, "yo do it now, no one's watching", but I had already took out my knife and was walking all crazy. Apparently, they froze and weren't able to do nothing. As soon as I entered my building, they all went back to their original spot in front of the University building.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:29 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,037,496 times
OMG, is this the same story?

Man Stabbed to Death on Grand Avenue : Norwood News

Same block. What the hell man, two people killed in less than a week on that same block?

Here is that POS block btw.

2460 grand ave bronx - Google Maps

What a wonderful place.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,023,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
OMG, is this the same story?

Man Stabbed to Death on Grand Avenue : Norwood News

Same block. What the hell man, two people killed in less than a week on that same block?

Here is that POS block btw.

2460 grand ave bronx - Google Maps

What a wonderful place.

you should be lucky, if this was prohibition era or crack cocaine era both murders would have happened the same day in the same vicinity. I also carry a knife around and knowing spanish or ebonics in a rough neighborhood will help alot.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol. Some times you can't avoid the situation. But not "hanging with the homies outside the bodega" at 2 AM does decrease your chances....right?
It does decrease the chances, however motivated offenders still has to size up weak suitable targets in the area, so there is a chance of becoming a victim regardless. Gangs dont only make money by selling drugs right, also make money by extortion, protection rackets, bets and robberies/burglaries. From attending john jay college taught me alot about the criminal element and who they tend to prey on. Once your 6 feet tall and big in size like a nfl linebacker homies will leave you alone, or if your walking with a party of three, homies will leave you alone. If your a white guy and your dressed like if you came out the matrix and your talking to yourself, homies will leave you alone.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's very weird that Bloomberg has had nothing to say at all about all the scandals at the NYPD. In many cities the mayor would already have fired the police commissioner.

Kelly really needs to go.The NYPD is in a shambles under his watch.
There needa to be another knapp commission to address whats wrong with the nypd. I hope ray kelly never gets the job for fbi director.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:33 AM

916 posts, read 2,245,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It does decrease the chances, however motivated offenders still has to size up weak suitable targets in the area, so there is a chance of becoming a victim regardless. Gangs dont only make money by selling drugs right, also make money by extortion, protection rackets, bets and robberies/burglaries. From attending john jay college taught me alot about the criminal element and who they tend to prey on. Once your 6 feet tall and big in size like a nfl linebacker homies will leave you alone, or if your walking with a party of three, homies will leave you alone. If your a white guy and your dressed like if you came out the matrix and your talking to yourself, homies will leave you alone.
I'm loled reading this part BG.

And I'm glad you are okay and safe Mario, but if they just want money,
just give it to them, not worth getting beat up or dying for it.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,363,986 times
I do agree Kelly has to go. And Superwario...what the heck are you doing carrying a knife? If it's that serious, again I ask, why are you living there? It makes no sense.

As an aside, Ray Kelly really needs to go. Not because of all these recent scandals coming out, because really this has been going on for decades. But because these scandals are still going on and there is no remorse, or call to action to fix the problem. Where is the leadership? Why is Bloomberg busy complaining about minor issues with a few people at OWS while he stays mum about all the police corruption? Why is he not demanding change there?

Ridiculous.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM

19,013 posts, read 13,918,942 times
It is a little strange that no one in the leadership is taking the blame for any of this. It's not just Kelly either. The Chief of Department has held his position for about 10 years now also. And most of the civilian commissioners are just chiefs who had to retire due to age. The NYPD has effectively had the same leadership for over a decade, with no repercussions over leadership failures.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,363,986 times
There is no leadership here, no repercussions, and why should their be? We the people just tolerate it so it will just continue. And now you see why OWS is important..

Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 AM

19,013 posts, read 13,918,942 times
OWS has nothing to do with the NYPD. The NYPD and NYC in general at this time is a direct consequence of the fools who voted for Bloomberg in his stolen election. While I tend to agree that money and corporations and all of that are directly related to our federal government issues, I put the blame for our local political situation squarely on the people who were fooled into giving Bloomberg his third term. OWS can't fix stupid no matter how long they squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.