Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:47 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Yeah, it's drug related, see the two guys running up to two white bags that the victim dropped.
Those are his sneakers. And you guys have to stop believing the MAJORITY of this type of crime is drug-related. Drug-related in the sense that they might be in gangs and they sell drugs? Yes. Drug-related in the sense that they could be drug dealers themselves? Yes. But I don't buy it for one second that 80-90 percent of homicides are drug-related.

This was probably a result of someone saying the wrong thing to someone, or talking down on someone's gang. You'd be surprised at how much this happens. I honestly know very few people that get into fights or stabbings because of drugs. It's usually because of gangs or some other type of beef.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Those are his sneakers. And you guys have to stop believing the MAJORITY of this type of crime is drug-related. Drug-related in the sense that they might be in gangs and they sell drugs? Yes. Drug-related in the sense that they could be drug dealers themselves? Yes. But I don't buy it for one second that 80-90 percent of homicides are drug-related.

This was probably a result of someone saying the wrong thing to someone, or talking down on someone's gang. You'd be surprised at how much this happens. I honestly know very few people that get into fights or stabbings because of drugs. It's usually because of gangs or some other type of beef.
According to one of the YT comments, the gunman (guy in the red) was jumped the day before and shot at the kid in the white in retaliation. I also think people grossly underestimate killings that happen due to petty confrontations...those gotta account for at least 50 percent of the homicides in the hood.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:02 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
According to one of the YT comments, the gunman (guy in the red) was jumped the day before and shot at the kid in the white in retaliation. I also think people grossly underestimate killings that happen due to petty confrontations...those gotta account for at least 50 percent of the homicides in the hood.
Eh, I was somewhat close. But yeah, I agree. Stuff like someone walking to the bodega, a group of guys say something to the one kid, he says something back and they fight. A day later he comes with his friends and it escalates from there. That kinda stuff happens A LOT more than the numbers would have you believe.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Those are his sneakers.
Youre right, sorry my mistake.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:50 PM

810 posts, read 836,628 times
Off-duty cop was shot in East New York but was not the intended target. She was caught between the crossfire while getting out of her car near a McDonalds.

Off-Duty Officer Shot in Brooklyn (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/off-duty-officer-shot-20111003-akd#ixzz1Zkx5JdFZ - broken link)

Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Looking at the new stats: It's interesting that even though the murder is lower than last year, some precincts have already surpassed last year's murder count. A great number of them are Bronx precincts (40th, 44th, 46th, 48th). Brooklyn's 73rd and 75th are on pace to match or pass last year's body count.

ENY so far has 4 shootings today...smh. Reminds me of 2 years ago when ENY had 4 shootings and 3 murders in one day.

Last edited by njnyckid; 10-04-2011 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
njnyc...that's normal...some neighborhoods are up, some down, but overall we are down...and that's a good thing. Not every neighborhood shares the precipitous drops every year...some go down more than others...but overall our downward trend in crime continues despite the hype from alot of posters on here.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:10 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
njnyc...that's normal...some neighborhoods are up, some down, but overall we are down...and that's a good thing. Not every neighborhood shares the precipitous drops every year...some go down more than others...but overall our downward trend in crime continues despite the hype from alot of posters on here.
I know that it's normal, just making the observation for this year on which precincts have surpassed last year's murder count already.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Crime is up this year Sobro... ill agree that the trend has been down but you cant use that example with this year... overall crime is up slightly this year and for three years now the violent crime trend is still trending up with this year shooting up in terms of violent crime... Murders are still down but felony assaults and rapes have skyrocketed this year... Don't know what this means exactly and whether or not it's simply a 3 year blip or not but the violent crime trend has been increasing in recent years...

Old 10-06-2011, 10:54 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
According to the stats (yes they are fudged), we are at the same level of crime as last year, with a decrease in the murder rate, increases in reported rapes, and increasing in felony assaults. I would say we are flat vs last year, despite all the doom and gloom predictions.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cscity.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City