Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM

37 posts, read 97,000 times

Advertisements

Technology has changed the daily routine and openness of the once prevalent open drug markets.

There is still probably a similar demand for narcotics (obviously less than the crack epidemic years), however the mass introduction of cheap cell phones to the Market and the increased use of CCTV by local authorities, security companies and the NYPD has just pushed the problem further underground.

As mentioned above, there is definitely a more widespread problem with opiate based prescription medication, than there previously has been, it seems to be more of an accepted problem as there isn't the associated illegal stigma attached to this kind of "suburban" problem, but it's here and needs to be addressed, sooner rather than later.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,225,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJ View Post
As mentioned above, there is definitely a more widespread problem with opiate based prescription medication
Xanax and Ativan are benzos.

Elvis said to Tom Jones, "I'm not a drug addict these are legally prescribed medications".

Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Xanax and Ativan are benzos.
My mistake, however prescription opiate misuse is a massive problem, codeine, oxycontin etc, you get my point!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,225,254 times
Quote:
My mistake, however prescription opiate misuse is a massive problem, codeine, oxycontin etc, you get my point!
Absolutely, but the positive thing about opiates is that you can't die from the whitdrawal symptoms with benzos you can. (seizures)

Old 12-16-2011, 04:02 PM

What's up the homicide figures for 2011, is the City up or down on this time last year, NYE is always a busy night for the NYPD.
It would be great to see figures down on last year.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:56 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,556,848 times
Quote:
What's up the homicide figures for 2011, is the City up or down on this time last year, NYE is always a busy night for the NYPD.
It would be great to see figures down on last year.
This year is kinda interesting in that compared to last year, homicide numbers are down. However, many precincts that are synonymous with high crime have experienced increased numbers of homicides such as a good number of BX precincts, Washington Heights/Inwood, and Bushwick. Plus, for a while, gentrified hoods such as LES and Williamsburg had experienced some homicides earlier in the year, but they've quiet down. Overall, there's both positive and negative aspects compared to last year.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:29 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,809,097 times
has this been posted? pretty horrific

NYC Woman Set Afire in Elevator, Suspect Sought - ABC News

Old 12-18-2011, 03:34 PM

573 posts, read 1,459,707 times
my wife is going to brownsville projects in april to visit her aunt, i'm a bit scared for her safety, lot of crimes seem to occur around there

Old 12-18-2011, 03:42 PM

She's more likely to be a victim of crime in Brownsville than 99% of most other NYC hoods, she's also less likely to be a victim of crime in NYC than 99% of any other major City in the US, quit worrying, she will be fine.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,794,433 times
Quote:
She's more likely to be a victim of crime in Brownsville than 99% of most other NYC hoods, she's also less likely to be a victim of crime in NYC than 99% of any other major City in the US, quit worrying, she will be fine.
Agree with the first part but the second part is just silly... If Brownsville was its own separate city it would easily rank top 10 in terms of crime... And I've been to a number of places across the country that are listed in the most dangerous... i.e. New Haven, Hartford, Lowell, Newark, etc. these areas pale in comparison to Brownsville... I have family in the Moody Projects in Lowell... I've been to the Jungle of New Haven... I've been to what look like prison cell tenement buildings in Newark, etc. and nothing puts me on edge more than walking past the Tapscott buildings or any one of the 18 project buildings in Brownsville... People really do get caught up in that NYC safest crap... Thank you Mayor Bloomberg for blinding the public...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City