Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:58 PM

5 posts, read 11,261 times

Advertisements

Im going to check out a place tomorrow. Im just moving here post college for a job and am wondering if this area is safe. Im from suburbs of Phoenix so I'm used to not even thinking about whether or not an area is safe.

it's 610 west 174 street.

174th Street just east of Wadsworth. I am white and not racist or anything at all but would feel akward sometimes if I was the only white person walking through the neighborhood at night. Anyone familiar with this actual block? Or the blocks between there and the nearest Subway?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 10:05 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
If thats the case then why move to Washington Heights... here we go again with another one...

Old 09-24-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
If thats the case then why move to Washington Heights... here we go again with another one...
I'm asking about the area for a reason, I have no idea about that block at all and am wondering if anyone else does.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
The OP is not from NYC and is asking about an area with which they are not familiar. Let's not derail this thread with debate about why they may be asking the question, or bring up past threads. If one cannot give an on-topic response, please don't hijack the thread. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-24-2011, 10:45 PM

All the past threads say it matters block by block and I couldn't find any posts relating to that actual block or the blocks between there and the subway. So that's why I am asking the question in case anyone's wondering. Doesn't seem that weird or stupid of a question to me.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentonbomb View Post
Im going to check out a place tomorrow. Im just moving here post college for a job and am wondering if this area is safe. Im from suburbs of Phoenix so I'm used to not even thinking about whether or not an area is safe.

it's 610 west 174 street.

174th Street just east of Wadsworth. I am white and not racist or anything at all but would feel akward sometimes if I was the only white person walking through the neighborhood at night. Anyone familiar with this actual block? Or the blocks between there and the nearest Subway?

Thanks.
Check google maps. All I can say is that its an urban jungle in washington heights and its a.huge difference from the burbs and desert of arizona. I hope you like maduros and pollo al carbon con arroz amarillio con habichuelas. I knew a couple who lived in da heights and moved to yuma arizona, I told them I hope you guys like tacos, burritos, guns and cactus.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Check google maps. All I can say is that its an urban jungle in washington heights and its a.huge difference from the burbs and desert of arizona. I hope you like maduros and pollo al carbon con arroz amarillio con habichuelas. I knew a couple who lived in da heights and moved to yuma arizona, I told them I hope you guys like tacos, burritos, guns and cactus.
I don't remember ever seeing a cactus period or that many deserts growing up, I dunno why people act like that's all Arizona is.

I did check Google maps and there was one place I checked out already on 181st and Ft Washington that I really liked but on Google maps it didn't seem as okay as it did when I was there in person. All I really look at on the streetview is the cars and how nice they are.

Obviously people are gonna say that I should go check it out in person, which I'm going to tomorrow, but I figured making this thread might save me the trip if it's just a bad place to be plain and simple.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:04 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
I don't live in NYC but I know this area is probably not an area you'd want to live in. When I visited NYC a few years ago I remember the lady telling my friend and I to probably not get off the subway station in the W Heights area because somebody had just gotten shot there last night. Granted people can get shot any where but I'm sure there are quite a few places you'd be better off looking into.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:14 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Generally speaking, for Inwood and Washington Heights, the better areas lie to the west of Broadway, above Columbia. In the immediate vicinity of Yeshiva, the neighborhood is also pretty stable, but it does vary. The other thing to consider is that an individual block or area may be safe, but the conveniences, shops, and sometimes quiet enjoyment of one's apartment is not always easy, especially if you live on a loud block. It would be quite a cultural change from a suburban environment if you have not been exposed to too many transitional urban neighborhoods.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-24-2011, 11:21 PM

84 posts, read 249,962 times
You'll be fine plenty of white people are moving to Washington Heights/Inwood. Crime in Washington Heights is overrated. Its a mainly Dominican neighborhood with a few Jews by Bennett Park. Be street smart like you would in any major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: