Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:31 AM

11 posts, read 69,252 times

Advertisements

My daughter just got a job in the bronx as a elementary school teachers. She is 25 years old. She just moved from Michigan and is living in Queens. She has a car so can drive to work. The location is on ward ave between e. 172 nd st and westchester ave. Can anyone tell me if that is a safe area or should she be careful where she walks. She might have to take to sub sometimes. Please Help with any info......Thanks...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 02:23 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Is there designated, secured parking available? Most schools don't have much (if any), which means she'd have to leave her car on the street all day -- assuming she can find a spot. She's probably better off taking mass transit. She can get a monthly unlimited MetroCard for $76 (pre-tax), which will take her anywhere in the city.

Looking at the map, it appears that the #6 train stops just a couple of blocks from where she'll be teaching, so she wouldn't have to walk too far. (She can check out HopStop.com for specific directions and expected travel time.)

Just curious -- is she part of the Teaching Fellows program?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 PM

I do not know if there is designated parking available. If she has to park and walk is it safe. I will tell her about the hopstop.com, Thanks..............

Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
I PMd you .....

Old 08-08-2007, 09:22 PM

59 posts, read 232,862 times
Your daughter and I have a few things in common. I'm also 25 years old and this September will be my first year teaching. As my screen name implies though - I'm born and raised in the Bronx. I also happen to live very close to the school your daughter will be working in - it's ten minutes walk from my house.

No, the neighborhood is not good. It sucks. I really wouldn't worry though. During rush hour when your daughter is traveling to and from her school there is lots of activity on the streets and it's safe. The train station she needs to walk to is also less than two blocks from the school. When it gets dark however, the neighborhood is a different story. Also a different story on some of the less traveled streets in the neighborhood. But that school is less than two blocks from the train, and only one block off of a very busy commercial street (Westchester Ave). She'll be fine.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Thanks for your information. I am a worried mom in michigan. My daughter has never lived in a big city.(Not street smart). What streets should she not walk on.

Thanks again...........

Old 08-09-2007, 06:19 PM

Wish I could tell you which streets not to walk on in that area but I couldn't. There's a cop on this forum who would know better than I - maybe he'll chime in. Suffice it to say, she should be perfectly ok if she walks straight from the train station to her school during rush hour. Once she actually starts teaching she'll have lots more resources to better understanding the neighborhood - her fellow teachers.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Hustla will be able to give some good advice. He's been able to help me a lot when I ask about neighborhoods.

I'm still looking for a teaching job in the city. I live in Queens too. She'll be in for a rude awakening if she hasn't seen/experienced what NYC schools are like, especially Bronx schools.

Last edited by Rachael84; 08-09-2007 at 11:04 PM..

Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 AM

I never knew how last minute and frantic the hiring of teachers was until I started the process of becoming one myself. The principals don't have a final tally of how many new teachers they'll need and in what subject areas until about...now. =/

Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Not even now really. I've been calling schools and so many of them say to call back the last week in August. The principals come in and out so fast that it's hard for the secretaries to ask them for me. These secretaries don't know too much since they're just working in the summers.

It's too bad they took away the job fairs for elementary this summer. I managed to go to 2 before the school year ended, which I've been most successful at (as opposed to looking on my own).

I'm getting REAL tired of calling 80 schools a day LOL. but yet, at least i'm getting some interviews. now I just need to get the job LOL

But anyway, sorry to go off-topic. A lot of people here know about that area. If you want, PM Hustla278 (I think those are the numbers after his name, not sure)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City