Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:28 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123456 View Post
its funny how its your property to maintain (shovel snow, garabge, safe walking ) but the citys property when they wanna put a tree i dont understand someone plz help me understand
Everything you ever wanted to know: Frequently Asked Forestry Questions : NYC Parks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i think the worst part about the whole tree planting project is the way the City cuts up your concrete and plants a tree, then leaves and says , OK, now you have to take care of it.

I dont want to take care of it, cleaning around the pits all the time, sweeping up mulch because they didnt put the tree guards around them.
i have seen so many homes that now have trees and are not taken care of and it make everything look like a mess.

I love the concept of the trees, but with transient blocks with lots of foot traffice,people tend to use the pits a ash trays and a garbage pail.

it is a shame, because i do like the trees, but they have been nothing but a headache for our apartment building.
You do not have to do anything to maintain trees unless you wish, and many persons do not unless the City can point to a direct law compelling them to do so.
Frequently Asked Forestry Questions : NYC Parks

In both Manhattan and even on Staten Island one knows of many property owners that do *NOTHING* to maintain trees planted in front of their property. This is especially true of watering now that City appears to have lost it's mind with water rate increases. Residential homes are on meters so most are very conscious of the amount of water their homes use. Apartment buildings have meters as well but the use is for the entire building not each unit.

OTHO many property owners take great pride and pleasure in taking care of trees and the beds in front of their buildings. Our block clubs together via donations to pay for a landscaping service that does the plantings, maintains, and so forth.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:43 AM

195 posts, read 304,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmog View Post
Hello, I have a problem with the city of New York, that insists on planting trees in front of my properties. One Business and One Residential. I had an oral agreement with a representative of the NYC parks department that at least my Commercial property would be spared a tree due to my business needs. I own a manufacturing premises that deals in foodstuffs(Mostly Jams, and Preserves), And by planting a tree in front of my business I would be severely negatively impacted. My business property spans nearly 80 feet and within those 80 feet, I have Delivery Vans, Trucks, and Tractor Trailers; Loading and Unloading. Most of the time my Distributors need to back up onto the sidewalk due to being ticketed for 'illegal street closures.' If they choose to load and unload on the street. I tried to reason with the City but the stock response I receive is basically 'The Mayor wants it.' Other smaller business owners have the same plight, We have economical needs to not have a tree planted in front of our businesses but the city refuses to listen. What can we do?

Also I own a Residential property not too far from my business. My step daughter has severe allergies to most, if not all pollen. She's only 6, she had a life threatening asthma attack the spring of 2009, which ended up hospitalizing her for two weeks. What can I do?

My business is in the Greenpoint, Williamsburg border area.
Don't even stress over the situation. Salt the earth and rest easy knowing that damn tree won't have a snowballs chance in hell of flourishing.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
Don't even stress over the situation. Salt the earth and rest easy knowing that damn tree won't have a snowballs chance in hell of flourishing.
Could be wrong but believe it is an offense to harm a City tree.

Again neglect is not an offense so if you don't care for the thing just have nothing to do with it; though how anyone could harm another living thing is beyond our comprehension.

City plants plenty of trees out on SI and homeowners don't give a rat's behind about them. They refuse to run up their (metered) water bills to feed the things so unless there is ample rainfall many do die.

Thing is though if you fail to help a tree remain healthy then the house or car it falls down upon may be your own.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:46 PM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You do not have to do anything to maintain trees unless you wish, and many persons do not unless the City can point to a direct law compelling them to do so.
Frequently Asked Forestry Questions : NYC Parks

In both Manhattan and even on Staten Island one knows of many property owners that do *NOTHING* to maintain trees planted in front of their property. This is especially true of watering now that City appears to have lost it's mind with water rate increases. Residential homes are on meters so most are very conscious of the amount of water their homes use. Apartment buildings have meters as well but the use is for the entire building not each unit.

OTHO many property owners take great pride and pleasure in taking care of trees and the beds in front of their buildings. Our block clubs together via donations to pay for a landscaping service that does the plantings, maintains, and so forth.

Your right, I don't have to do anything to the trees, I don't even have to water them.

But............................when the tree pits get filled with litter and cig butts, AND THEY DO. I do have to clean them, because I don't want to look at the pits looking like that. I don't want to see garbage in front of my home that I pay a lot of money to live. If the Co-Op board wanted trees, we would have voted for it. But we didn't, we liked the clean smooth cement, that always looks neat and clean...........

Now, if we didn't have the trees there would be no pits to clean, get it?????

Old 12-14-2013, 10:32 PM

195 posts, read 304,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Could be wrong but believe it is an offense to harm a City tree.

Again neglect is not an offense so if you don't care for the thing just have nothing to do with it; though how anyone could harm another living thing is beyond our comprehension.

City plants plenty of trees out on SI and homeowners don't give a rat's behind about them. They refuse to run up their (metered) water bills to feed the things so unless there is ample rainfall many do die.

Thing is though if you fail to help a tree remain healthy then the house or car it falls down upon may be your own.
It's a vicious cycle, huh. What if some one "accidentally" hit the tree.

Well it seems like either way he's screwed unless he gets them to never plant the tree in the first place.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,026 times
I am a cancer patient, I have breathing problems, allergies and many more medical problems and so does my family.
I have been calling and trying to stop the Forestry -- NOT TO PLANT [/color]3 trees on the side of my house.
The trees will be in front of my 1st floor windows and the 2nd floor windows even though it's near the sidewalk, it's not far from our windows.
It will be endangering my heath and my family's health.
We are being forced to live with closed windows instead of getting fresh air in the house.
I left messages for the BI--H in charge Ms.Tabetha White for 2 weeks and for her Manager till she finally called me. She was not listening to me.
She just kept on repeating that she is planting the trees....
THE SIDEWALK BELONGS TO THE CITY.
I TOLD HER THAT IF IT BELONGS TO THE CITY THAN WHY DOES'T THE CITY
PICK UP THE DOG S--T EVERY DAY HERE.
SHE SAID IT'S THE DOG OWNERS RESPONSIBILITY.
I TOLD HER ... THEY DON'T PICK UP.
SO SHE SAID .. THEN IT'S THE OWNER'S RESPONSIBILITY.
WHY? WHY? WHY?
WHY ARE WE ALLOWING THIS TO GO ON?

WE NEED TO DEMONSTRATE AND PUT A STOP TO ABUSING HOMEOWNERS.
HOMEOWNERS SHOULD NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT
THE CITY PLANTS AND NOT RESPOSIBLE FOR THE STREET PAVEMENTS, AND NOT RESPOSIBLE FOR DOGS--T ETC....... ETC.......

WHY AREN'T OUR BOROUGH OFFICIALS CHANGING ALL THIS?
BECAUSE THE LAW DOES NOT APPLY TO THEM

WE PAY REAL ESTATE TAXES AND WE HAVE NO RIGHTS AS HOMEOWNERS.
GEEEE, WHAT A FAVOR?
THEY ALLOW US TO OWN OUR HOUSES, PAY ALL THE EXPENSES
AND IMPOSE A LOT MORE EXPENSES ON US THAT SHOULD BE
THE CITY'S RESPONSIBLILITY SINCE THE CITY OWNS IT.
AND WHEN CONVENIENT FOR THE MAYOR AND OTHER OFFICIALS WE HAVE NO SAY.
I told Ms. White, that she is endangering my life (and our lives) she didn't care.
She said it will me hindering my health minimally.
THE POINT IS IT WILL BE AFFECTING ME (US)
I told her I'll sue the city for endangering our life.
I finally got fed up and I told her that "SHE IS A COLD HEARTED B---H".
Then I hung up on her. I am not done yet.
The Mayors office is forcing me -- a cancer patient battling cancer to write letters whereas,
I can hardly hold a pen in my hand.
They don't care that I and people like me are already in excruciating pain.
They have to force us to write letters.
The joke of it is that, the Mayor has a Disability Dept. to help disabled pople.
This is how he cares.
This is unbelievable to me -- how much more pain is added onto my health, whereas,
the Mayor is supposed to care about us.
Why can't this be taken care of in a phone call. Just more s--t to go through.
More wasted time, stress and frustration.
WHY ARE WE BEING FORCED TO HAVE TREES AT OUR HOMES IF WE HAVE HEALTH ISSUES OR JUST DON'T WANT THEM.
WE OWN THE HOUSES AND WE PAY REAL ESTATE TAXES AND CITY TAXES ETC.....
ALL THE OFFICIALS ARE HEARTLESS GARBAGE.
THEY ONLY CARE WHAT'S GOOD FOR THEIR FAMILIES AND THEIR H-s
THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING FOR US. THEY ARE ALL USELESS!!!!
ALL OUR OFFICIAL DO NOT GIVE A D--N ABOUT US!!!!
WHERE IS OUR FREEDOM OF CHOICE?
THIS IS NOT A FREE COUNTRY....
THIS IS A DICTATORSHIP COUNTRY AND NO ONE REALIZES IT!!!
I HOPE AND WISH ALL THESE OFFICIALS TO GET BRAIN CANCER!!!!
THEY ARE ALREADY HEARTLESS AND DON'T CARE ABOUT US.
GOD D--N THEM ALL !!! THAT WOULD BE A BLESSING.

ARE THERE ANY ATTORNEYS HERE THAT WOULD WANT TO HELP US PUT A STOP TO THIS? PLEASE HELP US!!!

Cancer Patient in pain

Old 04-27-2014, 03:37 AM

148 posts, read 271,275 times
This had made fascinating reading to me, I am not from the US and find this whole idea so infuriating! I agree with the tree planting programme of course but to find that it would be at my expense should this result in damages to the sidewalks etc is insane!

If this is the city's programme instigated and enforced by the city, then why is it your responsibility legally?
The city has some beautiful parks Central Park being one of them,but Bryant park,Washington square etc. I find NYC to be very "green" but now realise why!

Good luck and hoping nobody has to pay out of pocket should "their tree" bring up the sidewalk!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:25 PM

419 posts, read 625,758 times
just kill it slowly at night.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:57 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
we can all kill the trees in front of our homes if we want to, but then you can get a heavy fine in the thousands.

the point that we are all making is that it isnt fair. you own your own home, then some person working for the city deceides they want a tree in front of you house and now your stuck with it. not fair.

I like trees just as much as the next person, but where I live, as i have stated a thousand times, it becomes a litter issue. Our front of the apartment was a lot neater and cleaner with the concrete.
now the super, or myself is constantly cleaning our 3 tree pits.
not fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City