Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM

7 posts, read 40,096 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a problem with the city of New York, that insists on planting trees in front of my properties. One Business and One Residential. I had an oral agreement with a representative of the NYC parks department that at least my Commercial property would be spared a tree due to my business needs. I own a manufacturing premises that deals in foodstuffs(Mostly Jams, and Preserves), And by planting a tree in front of my business I would be severely negatively impacted. My business property spans nearly 80 feet and within those 80 feet, I have Delivery Vans, Trucks, and Tractor Trailers; Loading and Unloading. Most of the time my Distributors need to back up onto the sidewalk due to being ticketed for 'illegal street closures.' If they choose to load and unload on the street. I tried to reason with the City but the stock response I receive is basically 'The Mayor wants it.' Other smaller business owners have the same plight, We have economical needs to not have a tree planted in front of our businesses but the city refuses to listen. What can we do?

Also I own a Residential property not too far from my business. My step daughter has severe allergies to most, if not all pollen. She's only 6, she had a life threatening asthma attack the spring of 2009, which ended up hospitalizing her for two weeks. What can I do?

My business is in the Greenpoint, Williamsburg border area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Oh have you hit a nerve on this. My next door neighbor had all greenery in his yard, yet they planted a tree in front of his house, he told them, no, I dont want it, I am not taking care of it. he was 80, has since died, the wife is 94. The tree pit is all weeds and garbage collects there. It looks terrible. So if the dunb ass city would have left the concrete alone, it would be much cleaner.

Then comes our building the next year, we get 3 trees. The tree pits are so big, the mulch had setteled and now all there is in it is cig butts and it catches garbage. We didnt want them either...so the LL but wooden logs arounf the pits and we planted greenery, it looks better, but we didnt ask for this extra work.

i think the owners should be asked if they want trees, I am sure many do, but we didnt.....

and this is supposed to be a free country, yet the city tells us we have to have a tree in front of our home, but they dont take care of it, we have to.....

I hate mayor bloomberg, he is just one pain in the arse.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:51 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
There has to be someone somewhere that can accomadate the people that do not want the trees. i am sick of someone else telling me what I have to have.

We did not want these trees, there are enough trees up our block, they have give us nothing but aggravation since they planted them. And, they are ugly trees ta-boot, I would have of chosen something else.

yeah, some free country.

your own property and yet the city tells you, you have to have a tree.

I should have of poisened them.....and just might still do it.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 PM

So what can I do? This morning I had 66 trucks of all sizes from Midnight to 3PM loading and unloading. The spot where they want to put the tree is the most heavily congested. It's in between my store/loading dock.

I'm worried.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmog View Post
So what can I do? This morning I had 66 trucks of all sizes from Midnight to 3PM loading and unloading. The spot where they want to put the tree is the most heavily congested. It's in between my store/loading dock.

I'm worried.
Could you ask the city to at least move to an area in front of your building where you have less traffic? If not, run over the tree and say "oops". Whats the worst that could happen?

Better yet, remove the real tree and replace it with a fake that you move when you need to unload the truck. lol

Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 PM

As a property owner, It's a 15,000$ fine for damages sustained to the tree. Even if it isn't your fault.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:21 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
Quote:

I'm worried.
Maybe you can try contact your local district Council's office, and explain
your situation to them and see if they can help you or not. I mean they
wanted your vote, now do something to earn it.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:23 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Quote:
As a property owner, It's a 15,000$ fine for damages sustained to the tree. Even if it isn't your fault.
Seriously? for a tree? Then that's definitely not an option. ridiculous.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Maybe you can try contact your local district Council's office, and explain
your situation to them and see if they can help you or not. I mean they
wanted your vote, now do something to earn it.
Joe Lentol does not care. After the way he pandered to the movie industry last election, I have no sympathy for the man.

Yes, I have my street closed almost every other month because some talentless ******* wants to shoot another 'art' movie.

If I had someplace else to relocate my business I would. But due to to the economy and and access to my customers that greenpoint offers me, I'd rather not move.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:41 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
I am astonished at how many of you do not want trees!?!? When the one in front of our house died and had to be removed, we had the City plant not one, but two trees in its' place!
The 'Greening' of NYC is one of the few things I commend Mayor Bloomberg for. And I hope that everyone who removes and/or damages these trees do get caught and fined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City