Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

As far as I know most of the better known places are Italian owned like ann and tonys, teitel bros, etc. Correct me if Im wrong.

In any case ive never confused Albanians for italians. They have their own "swag" despite some similarities...

Belmont is an interesting nabe, its actually a lot more mixed than people realize especially if you factor in the transient student population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 06:16 PM

58 posts, read 179,854 times
Thanks for your advices... But, please, do not confuse italian people with albanian people! We are very different from Albanians and it's not pleasantly reading that someone thinks we are similar to Albanians. I'd only like to know if Arthur Avenue is still populated by italian-american people and if you still can breathe an italian culture on the street. I'v been to Bensonhurst (Brooklyn) two years ago, but I didn't find these things... I only found a neighbourhood with a little italian mark.
Reading the last posts, I figure out that the area is quite safe to go by myself, isn't it?
Thanks again

Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavide74 View Post
Thanks for your advices... But, please, do not confuse italian people with albanian people! We are very different from Albanians and it's not pleasantly reading that someone thinks we are similar to Albanians. I'd only like to know if Arthur Avenue is still populated by italian-american people and if you still can breathe an italian culture on the street. I'v been to Bensonhurst (Brooklyn) two years ago, but I didn't find these things... I only found a neighbourhood with a little italian mark.
Reading the last posts, I figure out that the area is quite safe to go by myself, isn't it?
Thanks again
Yes,it's quite safe actually.Just don't go late at night and tempt the odds.

There are still Italian Americans there and there is still Italian culture in the neighborhood though it is definitely less than decades past.It's a lot more evident than in Bensonhurst.

It is a typical American mistake to generalize about Italians and Albanians being the same because Americans,as a rule,know little of other cultures.It doesn't help that when the Albanians started coming here in the 1990's they gravitated to Italian neighborhoods.That has added to the myth.Also ,most NY'ers have had absolutely no interaction with Albanians because the Albanians are mostly in 3 or 4 Bronx neighborhoods and most NY'ers know nothing about The Bronx except what they have heard 2nd ,3rd and 4th hand.

Arthur Avenue in The Bronx NYC – Little Italy, Italian Food and Culture / nycgo.com

Arthur Avenue, Little Italy In the Bronx, New York

http://www.ferragosto.com/gallery/ferragosto-2011/

"Most of all, it;s probably the dining experience that every year delights Arthur Avenue's many visitors. Were else can you find such a wealth and breadth of fine Italian cuisine within a short walk through the neighborhood. As one food critic put it recently, "The restaurants of Arthur Avenue make Mulberry Street's look like stepchildren of the Olive Garden."

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-03-2011 at 07:16 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Thanks again
You shouldnt be offended either. The little I know about Albanians they seem like a good group of people and to be fair some Albanians could easily pass for Italian looks wise but the way they act, talk, etc is the give away...

Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Could you tell me the most comfortable and quick way to go to Arthur Avenue? I read that a station subway is near the area, isn't it? Is this the best way to go by pubblic transportation?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:02 PM

From Manhattan:

1) By taking the B or D train to Fordham Rd /Grand Concourse then walking East along Fordham Road to Arthur Avenue,then South on Arthur Avenue.This is a 35 minute subway ride followed by a 15 minute walk.The D is faster than the B because the B is a local train and makes more stops.

2) By taking a Metro North train from Grand Central Station to The Fordham Stop and then walking East along Fordham Road to Arthur Avenue and then South on Arthur Avenue.This is a 20 min train ride followed by a 10 minute walk.

3) By taking the 2 or 5 train to Pelham Parkway and then taking the BX12 bus to Fordham Rd/Arthur Avenue and then walking South on Arthur Avenue.This is a 35 minute subway ride followed by a 5 minute bus ride followed by a 5 minute walk.
The 2 train is elevated in The Bronx so it might be a "different" experience for you.

4) By taking the BXM11 Express bus from a stop on Madison Avenue to Pelham Parkway and then taking the BX12 bus from Pelham Parkway to Fordham Road/Arthur Ave and then walking South on Arthur Avenue.This is a 25 minute express bus ride followed by a 5 minute bus ride followed by a 5 minute walk.This is a very viable option if you are going from the Upper East Side of Manhattan.The Express busses run only once per hour and cost 5.50.

The fastest and most comfortable option is probably via metro north to Fordham then walking.It is more expensive and the trains do not run as frequently and you must go to Grand Central station for the train.With the subway options you have more flexibility re timing and starting point but it takes longer.

The ride on the subways through The Bronx can be viewed as a positive or negative thing depending on your outlook on life.It's a very unique experience for a non NY'er......maybe even for a lot of NY'ers.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-04-2011 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
From Manhattan:

1) By taking the B or D train to Fordham Rd /Grand Concourse then walking East along Fordham Road to Arthur Avenue,then South on Arthur Avenue.This is a 35 minute subway ride followed by a 15 minute walk.The D is faster than the B because the B is a local train and makes more stops.

2) By taking a Metro North train from Grand Central Station to The Fordham Stop and then walking East along Fordham Road to Arthur Avenue and then South on Arthur Avenue.This is a 20 min train ride followed by a 10 minute walk.

3) By taking the 2 or 5 train to Pelham Parkway and then taking the BX12 bus to Fordham Rd/Arthur Avenue and then walking South on Arthur Avenue.This is a 35 minute subway ride followed by a 5 minute bus ride followed by a 5 minute walk.
The 2 train is elevated in The Bronx so it might be a "different" experience for you.

4) By taking the BXM11 Express bus from a stop on Madison Avenue to Pelham Parkway and then taking the BX12 bus from Pelham Parkway to Fordham Road/Arthur Ave and then walking South on Arthur Avenue.This is a 25 minute express bus ride followed by a 5 minute bus ride followed by a 5 minute walk.This is a very viable option if you are going from the Upper East Side of Manhattan.The Express busses run only once per hour and cost 5.50.

The fastest and most comfortable option is probably via metro north to Fordham then walking.It is more expensive and the trains do not run as frequently and you must go to Grand Central station for the train.With the subway options you have more flexibility re timing and starting point but it takes longer.

The ride on the subways through The Bronx can be viewed as a positive or negative thing depending on your outlook on life.It's a very unique experience for a non NY'er......maybe even for a lot of NY'ers.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
As I said in an earlier post,you should give serious thought to combining a trip to Arthur Avenue with a trip to The NY Botanical Garden and or The Bronx Zoo and going to Arthur Avenue for lunch in one of the restaurants....especially on a Saturday or Sunday,which is when Arthur Avenue is really thriving.The Zoo and Botanical Garden are only a 10 minute walk.

On Saturdays,a lot of people who grew up in "Little Italy" but have moved to the suburbs come back to the "old neighborhood" to hang out in the coffee and pastry shops and shop for groceries,bread and meats.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:57 PM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Albanians mimic Greek and Italian culture pretty good eventhouogh they are Muslim and not Catholic and Eastern Othrodox. You need to understand the history of Albania through out the centuries Greek and Italian kingdoms and Empires used to rule Albania until the advancement of the Turkish Ottoman Empire who are Muslim. The islamic Turks had a big impact on Albanian culture and this is the main reason why many in Albania are Muslim today.

You are very right. Read the book, "The Bridge over the River Drina" to get an idea of what life was like in that area. Arthur Ave is great. Tremendous food. My Grandpa loved going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City