U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 PM

14,993 posts, read 31,366,361 times

Advertisements

I see now that the trains have "local" or "express" written on them, as well as announced messages. I think I'm all set now, I just didn't want to get on an express train and be expecting it to stop. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,724,435 times
download googlemaps to your phone..it will save your life

Old 10-10-2011, 05:28 AM

21,474 posts, read 28,350,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I see now that the trains have "local" or "express" written on them, as well as announced messages. I think I'm all set now, I just didn't want to get on an express train and be expecting it to stop. LOL
No they don't designate "local" and "express" (although they SHOULD.) You must learn which lines are local and which are express. But even this method is not foolproof because, expecially on weeikends, they change locals to express and vice-versa quite willy-nilly.

This is done to show riders who is the boss and to make tourists feel helpless, although the MTA says it has something to do with WORK...which of course is obvious nonsense because the last real work on the train system was done during the La Guardia administration.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 AM

115 posts, read 353,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That is correct. The Cortlandt Street station is only open northbound.
That is no longer correct. Cortlandt Street is open in both directions (as of 9/11)

Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 AM

14,993 posts, read 31,366,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
No they don't designate "local" and "express" (although they SHOULD.) You must learn which lines are local and which are express. But even this method is not foolproof because, expecially on weeikends, they change locals to express and vice-versa quite willy-nilly.

This is done to show riders who is the boss and to make tourists feel helpless, although the MTA says it has something to do with WORK...which of course is obvious nonsense because the last real work on the train system was done during the La Guardia administration.
I'll be there Mon thru Thurs, so hopefully I won't encounter that.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,634,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2001 View Post
That is no longer correct. Cortlandt Street is open in both directions (as of 9/11)
Fred already corrected me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'll be there Mon thru Thurs, so hopefully I won't encounter that.
When the conductor comes onto the loudspeaker, listen carefully to what the next stop will be. (On the (E), (F), (J), (L), (M), (N), (Q), (Z), (2), (4), (5), and (6), they have recorded announcements saying, which makes it easier).

There are too many exceptions to the local/express rules to give any better advice. For instance, some trains are express in Manhattan and local in Brooklyn, and some are express in one area of Manhattan and local in another one (like the (B) train).

Just ask a fellow passenger if you're not sure what the train is doing.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:01 PM

243 posts, read 1,209,760 times
Quote:

I understand your frustration. I really do. The truth is the MTA is not trying to show anyone who is boss. The system runs 24 hours and so track work is done usually on weekends. The tracks do take a beating and the track workers are really out there working , and the signals system must be maintained.

Personally I am a person who completely lacks patience and before I worked for the MTA I would practically break blood vessels in my head in anger whenever I was delayed or trains were re-routed. Being on the other side now , I can assure you that the work being done needs to be done.

As a motorman/train operator , we do not like when trains are rerouted on the weekends. Even though trains are on tracks , it is not foolproof that the trains will go to the right destinations. Motormen are responsible for knowing the signals that they need to accept at certain points on a line and those signals change when track work is done and if we get a wrong signal and miss it , and take the train down a line it doesn't belong on , there is hell to pay for it.

Few people , particularly not the riding public AND train crews like the service changes and track work. It's not being done on spite.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
I understand your frustration. I really do. The truth is the MTA is not trying to show anyone who is boss. The system runs 24 hours and so track work is done usually on weekends. The tracks do take a beating and the track workers are really out there working , and the signals system must be maintained.

Personally I am a person who completely lacks patience and before I worked for the MTA I would practically break blood vessels in my head in anger whenever I was delayed or trains were re-routed. Being on the other side now , I can assure you that the work being done needs to be done.

As a motorman/train operator , we do not like when trains are rerouted on the weekends. Even though trains are on tracks , it is not foolproof that the trains will go to the right destinations. Motormen are responsible for knowing the signals that they need to accept at certain points on a line and those signals change when track work is done and if we get a wrong signal and miss it , and take the train down a line it doesn't belong on , there is hell to pay for it.

Few people , particularly not the riding public AND train crews like the service changes and track work. It's not being done on spite.
Motorman, answer me this one:
When the "E train in running on the F track," would it be rocket science for someone to go to the train windows, and front and back, and change the train designation to F? That way the F train will run on the F track...and everyone will know what is going on.

When the #2 is running local in Manhattan, would it be too much work to rename the train the #1?
Is it sheer laziness and lack of thought to keep everything vague?

When the trains are running sort of normally, there are endless tedious, meaniingless, messages..."watch your bag, step to the center of the train, blah, blah" but when the system breaks down, all of a sudden all messages STOP. Is this geared to sell antidepressants or does the MTA believe that if they don't ANNOUNCE a problem, it goes away...like a 5 year old would.

Is the system being run by someone named ALICE...you know, the girl looking for a rabbit?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,523,672 times
Quote:
Motorman, answer me this one:
When the "E train in running on the F track," would it be rocket science for someone to go to the train windows, and front and back, and change the train designation to F? That way the F train will run on the F track...and everyone will know what is going on.

When the #2 is running local in Manhattan, would it be too much work to rename the train the #1?
Is it sheer laziness and lack of thought to keep everything vague?

When the trains are running sort of normally, there are endless tedious, meaniingless, messages..."watch your bag, step to the center of the train, blah, blah" but when the system breaks down, all of a sudden all messages STOP. Is this geared to sell antidepressants or does the MTA believe that if they don't ANNOUNCE a problem, it goes away...like a 5 year old would.

Is the system being run by someone named ALICE...you know, the girl looking for a rabbit?
As a tower operator (and former conductor) let me attempt an answer...although something tells me that nothing anybody says is going to satisfy you.

The reason the signs aren't changed during reroutes is because they're only taking place on a part of the route. The E train will still be running to Parsons/Archer in Queens, not 179 Street. (Yeah, I can hear you now: so let 'em change the signs back). I guess you like even more delays than you've got now.

As to who's running the system, unfortunately we've got a serious problem there. Once upon a time, there were actual, railroad people in charge. This has been changed around as the powers that be have attempted to implement a corporate mentality. And it's finally reached the stage where the people in charge know nothing (and I mean NOTHING) about railroads.

You may have heard about the woman who was killed by a #7 train at 103 Street in Queens the week before last. MTA's response was to shut the entire line down in both directions. Yes, you read that right: the single most crowded urban transit line in the world was shut down for two and a half hours. Never mind that you could turn trains back north of 61 Street, and still had full service between there and Times Square. Mark my words: this is going to become standard operating practice. And if the thought of that makes you mad, believe me, you won't feel any differently than I do. We are both dealing with this, from different perspectives.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
And it's finally reached the stage where the people in charge know nothing (and I mean NOTHING) about railroads.

And there I think I have my answer Fred.

Quote:
The reason the signs aren't changed during reroutes is because they're only taking place on a part of the route. The E train will still be running to Parsons/Archer in Queens, not 179 Street. (Yeah, I can hear you now: so let 'em change the signs back). I guess you like even more delays than you've got now.
Yep, I worked that partial route changeover out too. But let me ask, does a conductor walking around to change signs once or twice every 2 hour route run REALLY slow a train down. Or does it just force some lazy fat assed incompetent to move a little bit more. Does the train have to STOP for someone to roll a sheet of paper (I guess antiquated,) or worse, throw a switch to change the train name. Is it possiible there isn't a keyboard on the train for someone to change ONE ALPHANUMERIC...ONE!?

Remember, TENS OF THOUSANDS are inconvenienced because the train names are jumbled every weekend. Is it preposterous to ask that a few huge work crews get a few jobs done in a couple weeks instead of spreading hundreds of tiny crews all over the city, distrupting things everywhere doing jobs that take them MONTHS needlessly?

Believe me, if things are done correctly I am the first to heap praise. I have no axe to grind against the subways or buses, I LOVE them, I need them. But my love could be enhanced if I didn't feel they were out to make fools of the paying public to the benefit of a few well paid lazy and incredibly stupid creeps. (Present company excluded. )

One more item...would the term LOCAL or EXPRESS or just L or E be TOO much trouble to append to trains? And then when the local stops being a local, throw a switch to make the change (simple double throw available for $.80 at Home Depot.)

We all know that work must be done to keep the trains running. Is it too much to ask to make things CLEAR?

Website is good. But checking website for #6 and seeing RUNNING NORMAL and then walking 10 minutes to the train to find it's AFU is sometimes beyond the pale. Yeah...just this week!

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-16-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City