U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 PM

57 posts, read 81,153 times

Advertisements

The easiest way is to use Google Maps to find transit directions, then choose the route that works best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My friend and I will be staying near 57th St and 6th Ave. What is the easiest way to get from there to downtown near the WTC site (and back)?

From what I can tell, either the M20 bus or the #5 train?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,520,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti monster View Post
The easiest way is to use Google Maps to find transit directions, then choose the route that works best for you.
Actually, the easiest way is to look at the subway or bus map and figure it out. Tracing a colored line on a piece of paper isn't that hard...even for someone from the internet generation.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 AM

14,967 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Actually, the easiest way is to look at the subway or bus map and figure it out. Tracing a colored line on a piece of paper isn't that hard...even for someone from the internet generation.
My last question was about how to tell a local vs express train, I've got the routes figured out. After watching some YouTube videos I see that many of the trains have lighted signs that specify "local" or "express", or a recorded announcement. If they don't, I'll just ask someone.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
My last question was about how to tell a local vs express train, I've got the routes figured out. After watching some YouTube videos I see that many of the trains have lighted signs that specify "local" or "express", or a recorded announcement. If they don't, I'll just ask someone.
Please don't use the system according to YouTube videos. The map has a key--look at the key, and you can tell which stations are express, which are local, and which trains make those stops.

I will tell you as a former conductor: asking passengers on the subway is not the best move you can make. If you absolutely cannot figure expresses or locals by yourself, go to the middle of the train (where the conductor's cab is) and ask him or her.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 AM

Okay, take the R train @ Times Square (for example), where both the local and express stop there, are there separate tracks for the trains? And are there any signs saying which is which?

That'll be my last question I promise. LOL

Old 10-19-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Okay, take the R train @ Times Square (for example), where both the local and express stop there, are there separate tracks for the trains? And are there any signs saying which is which?

The express trains run on the middle track; the local is against the wall.

There's an exception to this rule at 34 Street on the Eighth Avenue line (A,C,E) for example, where the express platform is an island...but the locals are still the trains against the wall.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,633,518 times
Quote:

The locals generally stop against the wall and the expresses stop in the center.

Usually, there will be a sign saying something like:
(Q) Broadway Express to Coney Island all times

The "8th Avenue Local", "6th Avenue Express", etc designations generally apply only within Manhattan (e.g. A train can be local in Manhattan and express in Brooklyn), but since 90% of your travel will be within Manhattan, you shouldn't have a problem.

And don't worry, we enjoy answering your questions. Ask away!

Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Arrived today around 1pm, I've already been on the R train twice as well as the S train, had no problems. It's only 6:30 but I'm pooped and ready for bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City