U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 05:36 PM

30,330 posts, read 31,201,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
DO they send Jury summonses via certified mail?
The last time I received mine (in Brooklyn) it was via regular mail. I went but then again I was a college student.

"Never received it" if it wasn't sent certified mail seems like a valid excuse until they actually send it certified.
If you want to further protect yourself, file a claim with your Post Office that you've had mail stolen/lost. lol I get other folks' mail pretty regularly (about once a month,although I hand deliver it to them or drop it back off at the PO).

If they don't send it certified, there's no way you can be held responsible for it. In a large city such as NY, I highly doubt they'd send someone to serve you personally.
If you don't get or ignore the questionnaire before the actual summons they will send you a notice that you must come to court to fill out the questionnaire on a particular date (that they specify) or you will be in contempt and can be fined and/or arrested. So I don't think "never received" is considered an acceptable excuse by the court system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Not getting paid will not get you a pass. If you don't get selected for a case you will most likely be excused after three days of service. But, the Brooklyn court is very busy and you actually do have a better chance of being selected rather than not. I was told that on an average most cases run between three and five days. It all depends on what kind of case you catch. A murder trail will definitely go on longer than say a law suit.
In Queens, it is possible after 1-2 days if you are not selected to be dismissed but I don't know if it is the same in Brooklyn.
Also if you are selected for a panel (which selects the jury for individual cases) if you sincerely show that you can't be objective or follow the law completely when making decisions as a juror you will not be selected.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 AM

20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Can I presume that you are called to serve only in the borough in which you live? So nobody living in Manhattan can be called to serve in Brooklyn?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:24 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,159,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If you don't get or ignore the questionnaire before the actual summons they will send you a notice that you must come to court to fill out the questionnaire on a particular date (that they specify) or you will be in contempt and can be fined and/or arrested. So I don't think "never received" is considered an acceptable excuse by the court system.
You can postpone it but I am not sure how many times you can though.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
You can postpone it but I am not sure how many times you can though.
As far as I know you can postpone jury duty once. But if you fail to answer the questionnaire (I think they make 2 attempts to send it to you twice by regular mail), then they will send you a notice to come to the courthouse to fill out the questionnaire to see if you are eligible to be called to jury duty. (If you fail to respond to that one you can be found to be in contempt and be fined/arrested.)

Old 10-11-2011, 09:04 AM

15,229 posts, read 23,756,652 times
I wouldnt worry about it. i went to the court the day after i was supposed to be there, and accidnetal mistake on my part, I went to the window and told them that, I went home 5 minutes later.

If i ever get any type of jury questionaire or anything, it is going in the garbage, Not interested and i cannot be bothered.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,555,711 times
They will send you a notification for jury duty several times, and if you ignore it (or never received it), then they will issue a bench warrant for your arrest. What that means is they are not actively seeking to arrest you,, however if you are pulled over for some reason, or have some altercation with police, when they run your name a warrant will come up and they will arrest you and put you through the system.

If I get arrested for skipping jury duty I would love a picture of me getting arrested...I am hoping the officer will allow the picture. I will post it on facebook and put a picture in my hallway. I think that would be pretty cool. I am a dangerous felon..I skipped jury duty!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 13,911 times
I just received a jury duty notice for the Supreme Court of NY for a date when I am on vacation out of the country. They claim I have postponed 3x already and also said I was "previously absent". This is 100 % untrue but how can I prove that? While I don't like serving, I believe it is my responsibility....even though it is hard for me because I am a psychologist working with many suicidal patients. I must be responsible to them too, so I often work til midnight after jury duty, seeing my patients. I am a totally reliable person...would NEVER "no show"...but how can I find out my last date of service...I do recall a check for $40.00. The last time I was called to sit on a jury they let me go...felt a psychologist was too risky...hard to predict how I would vote...lawyers dislike that. How can I prove I did not postpone 3x already...this is outrageous because it is not true. My mail is very reliable. How can I get a first postponement since they are claiming it would be my fourth? Please advise me? Is there a number to call or do I need to go down there sometime before I leave on vacation on 7/20/2012. I find this all very distressing. Julie Marcuse, Ph.D.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,162,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMarcuse View Post
The last time I was called to sit on a jury they let me go...felt a psychologist was too risky...hard to predict how I would vote...lawyers dislike that.
The lawyers probably felt that you were a nut!
Whenever I would see a mental patient, an aide & a shrink sitting together in court, waiting for a hearing, i would defy people to tell me which one was which. Generally, the shrink was chosen as the mental patient!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 PM

7 posts, read 30,377 times
Just do it and get it over with. Is this your first time declining jury duty? If so, I believe you can get away with not going 2 more times but write in and explain or go in person but do not ignor the letter. You do get paid a little bit of money, which could work for you since you get paid cash. I went in the winter and wasnt called. i believe I sat for 3 days and they only called 1 round of people. You do get paid very little, $40 a day sounds right but theres a chance there wont be many judges since a lot take off now.
I'm wondering is: what are you waiting for? Are you waiting until you get an office job where they pay you a days pay if you serve jury duty? Because if you are, that wouldent be a bad idea. If not, maybe you can reschedule your dog walkings to the evening but just to remind you: if you do get called, you could serve a pretty long time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City