U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:56 PM

204 posts, read 607,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Having been in your shoes (engineer) I have to tell you that the jobs aren't as plentiful as you would think. My advice would be to concentrate on your degree (it's a tough one and you should be proud) but be flexible on where you end up working. It might be NYC, but it could very well be in CA (where the bulk of the engineering jobs are). in your last year, try to get an intern position, or work with a start up, anything to get real work experience that would set you apart from other job applicants.
It depends what you're interested in. If you want to come to NYC, the two biggest areas I see demand in are real-time trading systems (distributed systems and concurrency issues galore). If you're more into web application development, there's lots of startups hiring software engineers.

Since you're a cpe I'm guessing you're a bit lower-level than what most nyc engineering jobs entail. Research triangle might be more up your alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
LS grads also make 160k/year out of school.
Oh wait. I forgot to add that less than 10% of them make that amount.

Unless OP is at the top of his class and/or has networking connects, he will not land a 70k gig out of school.

C/S is not in demand. Certain specific sectors of C/S are in demand.
I'm not totally sure about starting salaries (aside from Google and Fogcreek whick start grads out above 75k in nyc), but I have many friends in engineering in nyc working at startups and more established firms making 85-135k, they range from 1 to 4 years of experience.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 AM

3,333 posts, read 3,290,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesterUnited View Post
I'm not totally sure about starting salaries (aside from Google and Fogcreek whick start grads out above 75k in nyc), but I have many friends in engineering in nyc working at startups and more established firms making 85-135k, they range from 1 to 4 years of experience.
I have friends in their mid 20's making six figures as well.
How many people in their mid 20's make 6 figures? Maybe 5%?

See where I'm getting at?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:

I have no idea what the % is, but I don't care if it's 1% or 50%. The point is that there are several high paying software engineering jobs available, even in this economy. Even startups in NYC pay really well. Check out companies like ZocDoc, Group Commerce, Foursquare, Tumblr, Signpost, Gilt Groupe, Etsy, Meetup, etc.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:09 PM

16 posts, read 43,473 times
Quote:

Just because i'm a computer engineer, doesn't mean I'm limited to one field. Some of the people posting need to research before they post something about my future profession, I asked for help with the limitations I had stated initially, about the living conditions and what is necessary to get by with what I want. not for you to tell me how much you think that I will be making, because I know what I'll be making, you think I've been in university for 2 1/2 years now and I haven't had one prof, student, counselor, company intern program tell me how much kids are making out of school? We have EA Games, Microsoft, Apple, Ubisoft, Creative, Logitech you name it coming to our school almost every week and just hand picking the kids that they like most.

I'm fluent in most of the modern languages; Java, C/C++, Pearl, C#. And have a fair understanding of a very in demand language: Ocaml. My friends who just graduated moved to New York and say they are making 95G. One of them who wasn't even a star student is making 100,000 and its his second year (Webos). They say that they just got a working visa and that after a long period of time they will become residents of the United States.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
Probably more has been said about the single UNDEFINED phrase, MIDDLE CLASS, than about any other undefined phrase in the language. Maybe FREEDOM is the sole exception.

How do the many who talk about middle class this and middle class THAT define the Middle Class in America? Without a definition, all discussion is completely meaningless.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 PM

My friend this or my friend that is meaningless. So is 'this company pays this or this company pays that'.

Anecdotal evidence may or may not be indicative of the larger trend.

If you wish to land a high paying job straight out of college, you either have to have exceptional skills (top of your class) and/or networking connections. [ we won't mention the folks with good fortune; that can't be controlled).

It isn't any more simple nor more complicated than that.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
My friend this or my friend that is meaningless. So is 'this company pays this or this company pays that'.

Anecdotal evidence may or may not be indicative of the larger trend.

If you wish to land a high paying job straight out of college, you either have to have exceptional skills (top of your class) and/or networking connections. [ we won't mention the folks with good fortune; that can't be controlled).

It isn't any more simple nor more complicated than that.
I disagree, for an individual the trend is meaningless, the anecdotes are what matters. If you're trying to forecast macro-economics then the trend matters. If you're trying to get a 100k job out of school, having 5 anecdotes of other students who got 100k jobs at companies x, y, & z in NYC last year, is super important and tells you exactly where to start your search. Anecdotes are actionable, trends are not.

It doesn't matter if 99% of cs grads make 10k a year, as long as you know where the other 1% making 100k are going and you follow. You don't have to be a 4.0 student from an ivy. If you graduate with a degree from an accredited school and nail the interview you can get a high paying job in this city.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,886,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Java View Post
I'm fluent in most of the modern languages; Java, C/C++, Pearl, C#. And have a fair understanding of a very in demand language: Ocaml. ]
I know of ONE NYC firm which uses that language. From what I hear, they do pay very, very, very well, however.

Anyway, you're looking way too far ahead. Get the degree, get the job (as you say, you should be able to get TN-1 status if you get a job; permanent residency is another question to be worried about later). Then worry about where you're going to live; you'll be able to find something, even if it's not ideal. Once you're established you can start looking around for the ideal place (and applying for permanent residency).

Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesterUnited View Post
I disagree, for an individual the trend is meaningless, the anecdotes are what matters. If you're trying to forecast macro-economics then the trend matters. If you're trying to get a 100k job out of school, having 5 anecdotes of other students who got 100k jobs at companies x, y, & z in NYC last year, is super important and tells you exactly where to start your search. Anecdotes are actionable, trends are not.

It doesn't matter if 99% of cs grads make 10k a year, as long as you know where the other 1% making 100k are going and you follow. You don't have to be a 4.0 student from an ivy. If you graduate with a degree from an accredited school and nail the interview you can get a high paying job in this city.
It's not difficult to find out which corps are leaders in their sector and what they pays so your point there is moot. It's not some closely held secret.

As for just nailing the interview; good luck landing an interview with a top firm without top grades/ past connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City