U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,251,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
Is there a reason why they don't leave the stroller there? (Worried of getting it stolen? No storage space on premise?)
They don't leave it there so that they can bring it on the subway and continue to annoy people even without the child.

Kidding.

I'm sure there is a reason.
There probably isn't storage for the number of strollers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,566,712 times
I've never seen somebody get so angry at strollers. ****ing strollers!

If I'm on the subway, give me a stroller over somebody eating disgusting food or people with an ungodly B.O problem ANY DAY!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,154,796 times
While I do not have children of my own, I use to be nanny for 3 children and agree with the OP. Put the baby in a snuggie across your chest or if the baby is older carry them. Once a child is past 2ish they don't need a stroller anymore. That's just asking for your kid to be obese and lazy pushing them around till they are 4 as their feet touch the ground while you push them. I find most people use strollers more for their storage then they do their baby. I mean you could live a week on what most people have in one of those.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainity411 View Post
Actually the MTA rule for subway riding clearly states that your child remain buckle in to the stroller while riding the subway. Infact they say the only time you should take your child out of the stroller is when using an escalator.And as for the McLaren comment they are one of the most affordable strollers out there. So by saying if you can afford one you can afford a taxi is also very ignorant.

Are you kidding me...MacLaren is one of the higher priced strollers. Wonder what you budget/live style is that you think that's affordable. BUT Shows what you know, you can't even spell the brand correctly. You want an affordable brand try Costco or Graco

Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 PM

393 posts, read 641,594 times
I agree but only to a certain extent. There are women who use common sense like not taking the stroller on the subway during rush hour, standing it somewhere where it clearly won't get in the way of others and waiting for people to get off the train or get on the train before going in and out.

The entitled parents really **** me off though. Some people expect a lot of concessions from others because everybody is supposed to be sympathetic and supportive of the fact that some stranger decided to have 3 kids...like that's some lifetime accomplishment all of us should respect. I'm sorry but some parents act ridiculous. I can't even count how many times I've held doors open for women with strollers and they didn't say thank you like it was just something I was supposed to do. Or how many times I've been run over by an agrressive stroller pusher on the street and in stores and gotten a look like "I have a child, so get out of my way"...same entitled look from parents who don't control their children and they are swinging from subway bars and almost kicking me in the face..like oh it's a child so what do you want them to do?

That's the kind of attitude that really annoys me. If you are going to have children, that's not anyone else's problem and doesn't give you a pass on common courtesy. Why should your choice inconvenience me?

On the other side though, there are people who are rude for no reason. I will always hold the door open for parents (and really others), help a woman bring the stroller down or up the stairs if she is alone and sturggling, etc. provided that my help is appreciated and not expected. Rude people are everywhere..some of them happen to be parents. Bikes annoy me a whole lot more. There is nothing more aggravating than some dude in spandex dragging his enormous mountain bike onto a crowded subway car.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM

42 posts, read 70,829 times
I can say the same for annoying tourists with their big suitcases getting in the way and walking so slowly in front of me when im trying to go to work in Manhattan @__@

Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
As a driver who subsidizes your cheap subway rides daily and has been for years, on the rare occasions that we need to use a subway with our stroller, I certainly am not going to feel bad about it. Hell, after this thread, I might just consider it payback.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 PM

19,087 posts, read 32,666,756 times
There's only one reason why parents bring strollers onto the train - and that is because they cannot afford to own a car or fare for a taxi. As a parent I'm saying this. The few times my son has been on the train, once I used one of those papoose things and had him strapped to me (he was a baby then), the next time we used a stroller, but that's because we were going to the Bronx Zoo and I wanted the kids to get the real Bronx experience by taking the 2 train rather than driving up there. But we took the stroller because it was a hot summer day and walking around the zoo can get tiring, so if he got too overwhelmed he could sit in the stroller and rest/get some shade. Otherwise using a stroller on the train sucks plain and simple. Now he's 3.5 and running around the place so no stroller required at all.

And my McLaren stroller cost me $180. They're not exactly affordable.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 AM

7,574 posts, read 10,387,529 times
To the OP: May you be condemned to live for all eternity in Boro Park where PHALANXES of strollers crush the populace under their wheels. God bless the babies. THEY matter, the kvetchers don't.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM

4,052 posts, read 2,930,089 times
If we could put with with peddlers, bootleggers, sleeping stinky homeless, even cyclists in spandex, I am sure we could put with strollers in the subways, no?

Instead of bitching and complaining, next time you see a mom with a stroller, help her to carry the stroller up the stairs, will you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City