U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 AM
 
Location: New York City
559 posts, read 929,177 times
Reputation: 384

Advertisements

Don't you just find sooo irritating those inconsiderate people who bring in huge strollers into subway cars? If they can afford a Maclaren, then they can afford a car or a taxi.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
651 posts, read 1,522,019 times
Reputation: 611
My rule while waiting for the subway is to keeping walking if I see a stroller, push cart, bike, or pregnant lady. Better off walking further down the platform so you don't have to fight for a seat/space with them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,746 posts, read 3,423,723 times
Reputation: 2526
Yes, its annoying -- but sometimes its unavoidable.

The city has to work for people who aren't walking/running to work everyday to. Should we also ban children in general, the elderly, those who have crutches or anyone that gets in your way?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,473 posts, read 9,197,604 times
Reputation: 2411
Yeah, it's annoying especially when you're in a hurry and stressed, but I agree with barkomatic and hope we all do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
 
Location: New York NY
4,134 posts, read 5,949,527 times
Reputation: 8680
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
Don't you just find sooo irritating those inconsiderate people who bring in huge strollers into subway cars? If they can afford a Maclaren, then they can afford a car or a taxi.

Sounds like you never had kids. Instead of being annoyed why dont you try helping a woman with a baby carriage up or down the stairs or giving one a seat on the train. Better yet, next time you see a woman with a baby carriage step up and volunteer to pay her for a few hours babysitting so she can go on about her business without worrying about her kid. But I bet you're not willing to do that, are you?

Have a little sympathy. If you want space and freedom from children YOU rent a car or take a taxi. The subways are for everyone.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
 
Location: New York City
559 posts, read 929,177 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Sounds like you never had kids. Instead of being annoyed why dont you try helping a woman with a baby carriage up or down the stairs or giving one a seat on the train. Better yet, next time you see a woman with a baby carriage step up and volunteer to pay her for a few hours babysitting so she can go on about her business without worrying about her kid. But I bet you're not willing to do that, are you?

Have a little sympathy. If you want space and freedom from children YOU rent a car or take a taxi. The subways are for everyone.

By taking up space, they make life harder for others, make the subway system less so "for everyone," and in general negatively affect civic virtues. I can understand giving space and help to the disabled, but why should these stroller people have a similar sense of entitlement?

But why should I, as you suggest, pay for the babysitting costs of the stroller people: they freely chose to inflict on themselves the inconveniences of having children (and I respect that choice); why should they then transfer their self-chosen suffering to others?

Before boarding planes, people with strollers fold them up and carry their children. Why shouldn't these inconsiderate, ignorant, and smug people I've excoriated do the same thing on the subway? They expect full consideration, yet do not extend the same courtesy to others.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
 
234 posts, read 520,484 times
Reputation: 134
If they can afford a Maclaren they can afford a car or taxi? I got my Maclaren off of craigslist for $30. People fold up their strollers before they got on a plane that they are going to be on for a while. You want to make someone take a sleeping newborn out of a stroller and fold it up for two stops? Come on. Have some compassion. Not everyone out there is inconsiderate with their strollers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,727,451 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
Don't you just find sooo irritating those inconsiderate people who bring in huge strollers into subway cars? If they can afford a Maclaren, then they can afford a car or a taxi.
I can tell you as an MTA employee: the rule is that you're supposed to fold them up on the subway. But as you know, it's almost impossible to enforce (unless, of course, everyone who's offended starts making a lot of noise. If you begin a campaign directing complaints about this to MTA, they'll start enforcing the rule).

By the way, people bring a lot worse things than big strollers onto the subway. But we can probably complain about that in a different thread!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
 
Location: New York City
559 posts, read 929,177 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I can tell you as an MTA employee: the rule is that you're supposed to fold them up on the subway. But as you know, it's almost impossible to enforce (unless, of course, everyone who's offended starts making a lot of noise. If you begin a campaign directing complaints about this to MTA, they'll start enforcing the rule).

By the way, people bring a lot worse things than big strollers onto the subway. But we can probably complain about that in a different thread!
Ah-ha! See? There is an MTA rule for obnoxious stroller pushers (assuming Mr Fred is indeed an MTA employee ).

It's little rules like the abovementioned that precisely promote and protect civic virtues and urban livability. By the way, Mr Fred, are there rules about cutting nails in the subway, or body odor, or excessively loud voices.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 12:12 PM
 
74 posts, read 92,595 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
Ah-ha! See? There is an MTA rule for obnoxious stroller pushers (assuming Mr Fred is indeed an MTA employee ).

It's little rules like the abovementioned that precisely promote and protect civic virtues and urban livability. By the way, Mr Fred, are there rules about cutting nails in the subway, or body odor, or excessively loud voices.
Get your head out of the clouds. This is New York City. God forbid somebody's child gets in your way. Next time, why don't you enforce that MTA yourself? Be a vigilante! Do us a great public service by telling those corrupt, filthy and annoying PARENTS to get the eff off the PUBLIC transportation and take up YOUR space elsewhere! YEA!

Just warning ya that if someone smacks you for being an inconsiderate and self-entitlement a-hole, that'll probably be me.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top