U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:56 PM

84 posts, read 193,833 times

Advertisements

There are a few older Italian families still left but there aren't many Italians in the street. I know about Ann & Tony's, Palombo's, Full Moon, Casa Della Mozarella, and all those businesses on Arthur Avenue but walking the streets you don't see that many Italians. You see far more Fordham students, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,862,822 times
I always wanted to check out Authur Avenue, does the atmosphere on the street still carry that old school Italian feel to it?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:05 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
There are a few older Italian families still left but there aren't many Italians in the street. I know about Ann & Tony's, Palombo's, Full Moon, Casa Della Mozarella, and all those businesses on Arthur Avenue but walking the streets you don't see that many Italians. You see far more Fordham students, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in the street.
Well,as I said in an earlier post,I go shopping around Arthur Avenue at least twice a week and eat out there often.I have shopped in every store and eaten in every restaurant and in almost all of them the people are not only Italian but they speak Italian.

I speak Italian and I go there in part to have people to speak Italian with.

Granted,some of the shop owners actually live in Morris Park or Pelham Parkway or Westchester but the Italian culture is still thriving around Arthur Ave/187th St...... every day,all year round !

Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 PM

84 posts, read 193,833 times
Yeah but I always thought that for an area to be called a Little anything the majority of the people living in the neighborhood have to be from that nation. In terms of people speaking Italian you are right I hear a lot of Italian walking the streets.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:22 PM

82 posts, read 122,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
There are still a decent amount but the Chinese people are really taking Bensonhurst over. Even the Popeyes on 86 Street is in Chinese, which is strange considering even the one in Flushing, Queens [A far more heavier Chinese/Asian neighborhood] isn't.

There's also a lot of Russians there, and I noticed many Hassidics moving in as well. But Bensonhurst was always an immigrant neighborhood, the Italians that lived there Americanized over time and simply left for the American dream.
I'm Italian and I understand that Italians leave the old neighborhoods and become Americanized but Bensonhurst, at least to me, seemed like a stronghold full of Italian Americans that were 2nd or 3rd and even 4th generation Italians that stayed in the neighborhood even when; moving to the suburbs was an option and when other Italian area's had already changed. Why did it take up until the 2000's for it to change? It seems like this is when Brooklyn became more stable and and safe as far as crime rate goes. Did it just become unpopular in the Italian community to live there? It saddens me for some reason.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:58 PM

14,812 posts, read 17,410,399 times
No.way let me check that out.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 PM

14,812 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid wave View Post
I'm Italian and I understand that Italians leave the old neighborhoods and become Americanized but Bensonhurst, at least to me, seemed like a stronghold full of Italian Americans that were 2nd or 3rd and even 4th generation Italians that stayed in the neighborhood even when; moving to the suburbs was an option and when other Italian area's had already changed. Why did it take up until the 2000's for it to change? It seems like this is when Brooklyn became more stable and and safe as far as crime rate goes. Did it just become unpopular in the Italian community to live there? It saddens me for some reason.
Yeah many italians are leaving bronx and brooklyn hoods behind. If you want a real italian hood check out howard beach in queens aswell partd of the rockaways going southwest. Aswell as staten island.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:37 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,862,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid wave View Post
Yeah it saddens me too, I never got to experience Bensonhurst when it was still Brooklyn's Little Italy. But there is more to America then living in a concrete Brooklyn nabe. The Italians simply left, and newer immigrants filled in the void they left behind. Italians don't really immigrant to NYC anymore, unlike decades ago when they were easily the dominate European group immigrating to this city.

If I remember, Bensonhurst started as a German hood, then a mixed Italian/Jew nabe, the Jews left and Italian immigrants were still flocking NYC in droves when they left, so they became the dominate ethnic group in the area, and around the 1990s Asians started moving in. Believe it or not, but Bensonhurst in 1990 was 85% White and about 11% Asian, so even back then their were signs that the area was gonna become more of a Chinatown in the near future.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:18 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,516,906 times
Massapequa on Long Island.

There's a strip with all Italian grocery stores, and everyone is Italian American.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM

58 posts, read 141,081 times
So, everybody's saying that there aren't an original Little Italy in New York :-(
When I've been in Bensonhurst (in 2008) I remember that I didn't see an italian-american neighbourhood, but only a few shops and some italian-american man in the restaurant or club. I'd like to know if in Arthur Avenue is the same thing or if it's more italian..
And what about Hoboken in New Jersey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City