U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,078 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Bronx all my life but never lived in NYCHA. I applied and was accepted. I got accepted for an apartment in the Pelham Parkway Houses in July but I was not able to even see the apartment until Sept. 21st. It was still a mess but not as bad as it was before. I signed the paper work but I told the property manager I would like to think about it because the rooms are very small and I have a very large bedroom set and more closets where I presently live. He also told me the apartment is mine and they couldn't rent it to anyone else unless I refused it and signed the refusal letter. That was obviously a lie. I had a death in my family so I was not thinking about the apartment until after the funeral was over and out of the way. I went there today to look at the apartment again and it was much cleaner and had new appliances, cabinets, doors, etc. I went to the renting office to ask when I could move in and was told they rented the apartment already because I took too long toget back to them. It has only been a week and they rented it already without the courtesy of a phone call to see if I was still interested. I am supposed to be on a high priority list and should get first preference because I'm a domestic violence victim. I need to know who I can call to get this matter resolved because I need to move as soon as possible before I'm homeless all together.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 08:30 AM

365 posts, read 416,894 times
I know there's a Fordham location of NYCHA. Why don't you call them or pay a visit??

Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 AM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
In all matters on NY real estate, you just cannnot wait because there are people lined up right behind you ready to shout YES!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,632,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In all matters on NY real estate, you just cannnot wait because there are people lined up right behind you ready to shout YES!
Absolutely ! This is a good example of "you snooze,you lose"

Pelham Parkway Houses is far and away the best NYCHA project in The Bronx and one of the best in the whole city.It is a well run,well maintained ,low crime, low rise complex in a park like setting, in a middle class neighborhood that has great subway and other transportation links,lots of stores and restaurants within a few blocks and is an easy walk to parks,etc,including the Bronx Zoo and the NY Botanical Garden.

Being offered an apartment @ Pelham Parkway houses is sort of like winning the lottery in the NYCHA world.There are people who wait years to get apartments or get transferred there from other projects.

? The OP got fast tracked into NYCHA because of her situation ,then hit the jackpot with an offer of an apartment @ Pelham Parkway Houses but had to think about it because the bedroom was a little small for her bedroom set and she wanted more closet space ?

This is almost inconceivable to me.

Maybe the bedroom and closet will be bigger when she is shown an apartment @ someplace like Edenwald or the Morrisania air rights project.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-05-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 05:11 PM

19,159 posts, read 32,695,448 times
I have a question:

How did you get back into the apartment to see it all clean and brand new, if it was rented already? So they rented it to somebody else, but you had the keys to get in? Especially the front door building key? They rented it out and even didn't ask you back for that front door building key, which locksmiths aren't even allowed to duplicate? I smell a rat.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-05-2011, 06:06 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,632,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I have a question:

How did you get back into the apartment to see it all clean and brand new, if it was rented already? So they rented it to somebody else, but you had the keys to get in? Especially the front door building key? They rented it out and even didn't ask you back for that front door building key, which locksmiths aren't even allowed to duplicate? I smell a rat.
You might be right,Seventh.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,512,382 times
Troll post why must people lie lol its not that serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City