Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 02:10 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,783,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
The economy in Florida is fairly stagnant and jobs are not easy to come by. It will be interesting to watch trends into Florida if that continues to be the case.
Shh... Don't tell that to sobroguy... his enfatuation with Florida will have him deeply troubled with this fact...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
True, but we should remember that many that are leaving NYC to florida are also retirees who are not going to work, but for leisure. They are picking up homes for dirt cheap, paying them in cash, and living quite comfortably.
Wow... you're lack of credibility with this topic knows no bounds...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,311,009 times
My credibility are the sources I cited..what are yours? And really, PRs can't retire to Florida and buy a $150K home in cash????? You have spent too long in NYC..try getting out and seeing what is happening.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,332,332 times
Quote:
True, but we should remember that many that are leaving NYC to florida are also retirees who are not going to work, but for leisure. They are picking up homes for dirt cheap, paying them in cash, and living quite comfortably.
Yes, that's true too. My folks moved to FL and their city was made up of black/African American retirees from NYC (mainly teachers, cops, firemen, and other civil servants), and whites from all over the east coast.

They tell me that new black/African American retirees aren't coming anymore and the city has become overwhelmingly white, as the blacks die off.

Seems that the newer wave of black/Af-Am retirees are going to the Carolinas.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 PM

Yes indeed with Atlanta a big draw for middle class African Americans. The one black family on my block who have been here since 1950 (they can tell you some stories about what they went through here), are calling it quits and moving to ATLANTA with his son and grandchildren. He is 89! They have a nice old single family brownstone, needs a total gut rehab but great building.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Yes indeed with Atlanta a big draw for middle class African Americans. The one black family on my block who have been here since 1950 (they can tell you some stories about what they went through here), are calling it quits and moving to ATLANTA with his son and grandchildren. He is 89! They have a nice old single family brownstone, needs a total gut rehab but great building.
So one example, makes a whole story... Isn't that what you always argue against... Really man, you talk about my lack of facts... The facts that were provided in previous posts that talk about percentages of Puerto Rican populations in this city show you that Puerto Ricans are still major strongholds in this city and continue to grow in areas like Queens... Just earlier this year there was an article that came out in the times about the growth in the Puerto Rican population in Queens which we discussed... You can continue arguing what you want to believe but I will stand by what I have said about both groups... the migration out of this city is not what it used to be... Some will move out, others will move back and the population will remain pretty much as is...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 PM

No, I cited my source already, I am giving you my observation also. What you are not comprehending is that some neighborhoods might be increasing in population, but the NET is declining...why are you even arguing this point? They are at par with Orlando/Central Florida, and the political and economic might is shifting rapidly to Florida...

The Puerto Rican Population Of New York Is On The Verge Of Being Eclipsed By Dominicans | Fox News Latino

"The Puerto Rican community at one time made up 80 percent of all Latinos in the city," said Angelo Falcón, president and co-founder of the National Institute of Latino Policy, a think tank on Latino issues. "Now it's about a third." The downward trend has been playing out for at least two decades. In 1990, there were 896,763 Puerto Ricans in New York City, according to the Census. By 2000, there were 107,591 fewer Boricuas in the city, a 12 percent dip.
The slowdown eased a bit in the last decade. There were 782,222 Puerto Ricans in New York in 2009, according to the American Community Survey, down about 1 percent from the 2000 Census population figure."

Puerto Ricans leave the city as they age, become more affluent and consider other places to raise their children, studies have shown. They have resettled in New York suburbs, Florida and New England, and, in a return home of sorts, Puerto Rico, according to a 2008 study by the Centro de Estudios Puertorriqueños at Hunter College of the City University of New York.
Salvo called the outmigration a "natural progression." "I wouldn't call it an exodus," he said. "Puerto Ricans have been here for a long time, and it's very common for groups to leave."

Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
No, I cited my source already, I am giving you my observation also. What you are not comprehending is that some neighborhoods might be increasing in population, but the NET is declining...why are you even arguing this point? They are at par with Orlando/Central Florida, and the political and economic might is shifting rapidly to Florida...

The Puerto Rican Population Of New York Is On The Verge Of Being Eclipsed By Dominicans | Fox News Latino

"The Puerto Rican community at one time made up 80 percent of all Latinos in the city," said Angelo Falcón, president and co-founder of the National Institute of Latino Policy, a think tank on Latino issues. "Now it's about a third." The downward trend has been playing out for at least two decades. In 1990, there were 896,763 Puerto Ricans in New York City, according to the Census. By 2000, there were 107,591 fewer Boricuas in the city, a 12 percent dip.
The slowdown eased a bit in the last decade. There were 782,222 Puerto Ricans in New York in 2009, according to the American Community Survey, down about 1 percent from the 2000 Census population figure."

Puerto Ricans leave the city as they age, become more affluent and consider other places to raise their children, studies have shown. They have resettled in New York suburbs, Florida and New England, and, in a return home of sorts, Puerto Rico, according to a 2008 study by the Centro de Estudios Puertorriqueños at Hunter College of the City University of New York.
Salvo called the outmigration a "natural progression." "I wouldn't call it an exodus," he said. "Puerto Ricans have been here for a long time, and it's very common for groups to leave."
This was my only point...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,089,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I agree with you. I attended a presentation on the changing demographic of NYC and it was mentioned that Puerto Ricans "suburbanize" within the city limits as they move up the economic scale. They specifically mentioned the Puerto Rican migration into many of the neighborhoods you mentioned.

I wish the African-American middle class would find a way to stay as well.
And just to add onto this, Staten Island has seen the largest increase in its Hispanic population out of the 5 boroughs, and SI and The Bronx were the only one to see an increase in the Black population. (And we all know SI is the most suburban borough)

Bluedog2 posted this a while ago, and it's very interesting: Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post

Percent change in Hispanics:
Staten Island: +51.4%
Bronx: +15.0%
Queens: +10.3%
Brooklyn: +1.7%
Manhattan: -3.4%

Percent change in Blacks:
Staten Island: +11.6%
Bronx: +0.1%
Brooklyn: -5.8%
Queens: -6.4%
Manhattan: -12.5%

Now, there's nothing saying that suburban areas are necessarily middle class. I mean, this is the area with the highest concentration of Hispanics: http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Island-NY.html At $26,000, it's working class at best, but there has been an increase in the Hispanic population all over SI, including in middle class neighborhoods, and there are a few middle class areas with a Hispanic plurality. For instance: http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Island-NY.html and http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Island-NY.html

Keep in mind that the racial numbers are outdated, but the income level should be more or less the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ Queensgrl, same thing goes for Black folk... Many moved down south late 90s to mid 2000s for greener pastures but then realized that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and have decided to move back... Some move and like it over there but for many, down south just isn't for them... And now that they are moving back, they're realizing that racism and prejudice isn't as strong as it was even in the late 90s and they are now able to move into areas that were previously a no go just a few years ago...
The interesting thing I noticed about that map is the fact that 20 years ago, the Black population in Canarsie was miniscule, except for the Northeast portion. You were seeing numbers like 0.1%, 0.3%, 0.4%, etc. Nowadays, all portions of the neighborhood are at least 70% Black.

To a lesser extent, you see it in the Flatlands area, where Blacks went from being less than 1% of the population to being over 50-60% of the population.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,613,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Anon it kills me that you and so many other half bori/half domi hybrids choose the PR side over DR. That is why I refuse to procreate with a Puerto Rican. My kid aint going to choose his PR over his DR. Or I could do what my brother is doing, which is completely brainwash his PR girlfriend into thinking she is Dominican. She is even starting to speak Dominican! I would not be the cause of the death of my culture.

I understand many of you have had dead beat Dominican dads but sigh..everyone wants to be PR.

Tu ere Dominicano mi hermano, que no se te olvide.
SuperMario: This post is so immature, that it makes me laugh out loud. You have such an intense hate of Puerto Ricans. Did anyone of them do you in? I bet it was a woman...... Your hate shows so blatanly.....

Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are Caribbean neighbors, and one group is equal to the other. Both groups should join hands against the inequalities perpetrated by the other groups, so please stop trying to put the Puerto Ricans down. Many of them have move on, and made good lives for themselves in other cities, as well as here in NYC, and many have become professionals, doctors, lawyers, etc. Accept the fact that they have been here longer, were discriminalized by other groups, learned their lessons, and put them to good use........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City