Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Soundview and Castle Hill in the Bronx should both be atop that list.
Also east tremont and van nest is still mostly. In The bronx, puerto ricans are the largest hispanic ehtnic group in that borough. Its the 2nd largest ethnic group in the bronx after AA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
To the ones who spoke about Puerto Ricans declining in low income areas but increasing in middle class and upper middle class areas that is definitely true... And I do think that the population is undercounted because I know of many second and third generation Puerto Ricans that have moved out of these low-income areas that want nothing to do with being puerto rican or being associated with Puerto Ricans... It's unfortunate that the low-income ghetto mentality that so many PR's in this city developed over the years created this separation but I can't tell you how many light skinned Puerto Ricans I know that don't put their heritage but rather other/white or hispanic... Also many third generation PR's that have lived in this city may not consider themselves to be Puerto Rican anymore but rather full blown americans...

I say this because while I do not see the presence in businesses and politics the way I did maybe 10-15 years ago, I still see Puerto Rican people living here and I have seen a number of people from Puerto Rico move to this city because of the crime that is taking place over there... Hotblue said it right when he mentioned how people are fleeing the country... Puerto Rico is in turmoil right now and alot of decent hard working people as well as struggling low income people have been moving into this city (though in much smaller numbers) in recent years... I'd say I know about at least 20 people that have moved from Puerto Rico to this city mostly middle class folk but a few poor working class folk as well...

Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 PM

652 posts, read 1,276,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
To the ones who spoke about Puerto Ricans declining in low income areas but increasing in middle class and upper middle class areas that is definitely true... And I do think that the population is undercounted because I know of many second and third generation Puerto Ricans that have moved out of these low-income areas that want nothing to do with being puerto rican or being associated with Puerto Ricans... It's unfortunate that the low-income ghetto mentality that so many PR's in this city developed over the years created this separation but I can't tell you how many light skinned Puerto Ricans I know that don't put their heritage but rather other/white or hispanic... Also many third generation PR's that have lived in this city may not consider themselves to be Puerto Rican anymore but rather full blown americans...

I say this because while I do not see the presence in businesses and politics the way I did maybe 10-15 years ago, I still see Puerto Rican people living here and I have seen a number of people from Puerto Rico move to this city because of the crime that is taking place over there... Hotblue said it right when he mentioned how people are fleeing the country... Puerto Rico is in turmoil right now and alot of decent hard working people as well as struggling low income people have been moving into this city (though in much smaller numbers) in recent years... I'd say I know about at least 20 people that have moved from Puerto Rico to this city mostly middle class folk but a few poor working class folk as well...
wow...this is what I like about this thread...very educational!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:
I agree with this 100%. My parents were born in Puerto Rico, I was born in NYC, but I consider myself American over Puerto Rican. Considering where I was born and raised (NYC), Puerto Rico is not a country, and a culture I only know from books.

I agree the ghetto mentality that thrives in the low income sections of the city does hurt the desire to identify, but I do believe there is a tremendous undercount in more affluent areas.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 10-04-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Florida is not pure Cubans...Miami is predominantly Cuban however their numbers are dwindling fast as other groups are moving in, including PRs. Central Florida has a growing concentration of PR, and is where many PRs (from the Island and NorthEast) are moving to. Like NYC used to be pure PR, Florida used to be pure Cuban...lots of other groups are moving in..and that's ok.

As for why they didn't choose Florida/Miami when they first arrived in the 50s is the same reason every other immigrant group didn't choose Miami..NYC was the gateway to the country...and that was where almost all immigrants entered. Miami was a sleepy, backwoods, retirement town and not much else...why would anyone go there?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Remember puerto ricans are migrants and not immigrants.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:28 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
I thought the term on this board for migrants was "transplants"

Old 10-05-2011, 10:25 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Interesting point BG7....there is an argument to be made that they are transplants.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
My family has worked in that area for years along the warehouses on 2nd and 3rd avenues... That area was never dominated by Puerto Ricans... If South Americans began moving in there it was in the 60s or 70s cause that's all I've ever seen passing through there... And along 4th avenue it's Dominican central for the most part
5th Avenue in Sunset Park, Brooklyn: 36th Street to 47th Street

5th Avenue in Sunset Park, Brooklyn: 47th Street to 63rd Street

Almost reminds me of Knickerbocker Avenue in Bushwick.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Florida is not pure Cubans...Miami is predominantly Cuban however their numbers are dwindling fast as other groups are moving in, including PRs. Central Florida has a growing concentration of PR, and is where many PRs (from the Island and NorthEast) are moving to. Like NYC used to be pure PR, Florida used to be pure Cuban...lots of other groups are moving in..and that's ok.

As for why they didn't choose Florida/Miami when they first arrived in the 50s is the same reason every other immigrant group didn't choose Miami..NYC was the gateway to the country...and that was where almost all immigrants entered. Miami was a sleepy, backwoods, retirement town and not much else...why would anyone go there?
Miami is more Dominican. Orlando is Puerto Rican land in FL.

Although you find both in those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City