Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 11:34 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,783,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Just so everybody knows, there are practically no neighborhoods in NYC with a PR majority (because majority means the population is over 50%). There are some neighborhoods with a PR plurality (which means they are the largest group, but not over 50%)

Alright. I'm on the socialexplorer site right now. Ridgewood still has the higher Puerto Rican population, but it's not a huge difference.

In Glendale, north of Myrtle Avenue, the PR population is about 13-14%, with the numbers going down as you move further east. South of Myrtle Avenue, it's about 17-18%. There's a pocket by the eastern end of Cypress Avenue where the PR population is 30.1%, but I'm not sure whether that's Ridgewood or Glendale.

In Ridgewood, along Fresh Pond Road, the PR population is in the 11-13% range. Along the Brooklyn-Queens border, it's around 22-23%, and for the rest of the neighborhood, it's in the high teens (18-19%).

As far as other neighborhoods go, Cypress Hills is also in the high teens. For the rest of East NY, it gets lower as you go further south, but it picks up a little bit in Starrett City (the 2 census tracts have a PR population of 10.3% and 12.1%). Sunset Park is in the 20-25% range for the most part (this is only referring to the Hispanic parts, not "Brooklyn's Chinatown"). Mexicans actually outnumber them there, since it's in the 25-30% range (west of 3rd Avenue, it actually goes up to 35.9%)

Bushwick is in a similar situation, but the Mexican population is much smaller (in the single digits for the most part, except for a section west of Myrtle Avenue, going along Wilson Avenue)

The LES has a lot of Puerto Ricans living in the PJs along Avenue D (about 42%). Along Avenue B and C, it's in the 20% range.

In East Harlem, it's in the 30% range, with Mexicans being concentrated in a couple of pockets, but still outnumbered for the most part by PR. Southside Williamsburg is in the 20-25% range, with some Dominicans being concentrated along both sides of the BQE.

In The Bronx, the residential part of Throgs Neck is 34.5% PR. There are a lot in Soundview/Castle Hill (40% area). In the area on the other side of the Bruckner from Country Club (not sure of the name), it's around 20%. Along Pelham Parkway, it's in the 15% range, except immediately by WPR, where it's about 20%.

In the South Bronx east of Webster Avenue, it's in the 30-40% range. West of about Webster Avenue, Dominicans become the plurality (30-40% range). Actually, on the other side of the river, Dominicans are the majority of the population (the highest tract has a DR population of 67.5%). Of course, I'm referring to the Washington Heights/Inwood area. Hamilton Heights has a large DR population (around 35%), but it's not the majority like the areas to the north.

For Woodhaven, Queens, the PR population is about 13% or so, depending on the specific area. Dominicans actually have roughly the same sized population, give or take. South Americans actually outnumber them, being about 17-18% (though if you break it down by country, none of the countries surpasses PR or DR, and yes I know PR is a commonwealth, but you get the point).

Pretty much everywhere else in Queens (except for a few housing projects) is in the single-digits. There are a few in the South Jamaica and Queens Village areas, but nothing special. (Just a little over 5%)

And for my home borough, there is a decent-sized PR population (17-18%) in the Arlington/Mariners' Harbor/Elm Park area, and also in the St. George area (as well as the area by the Stapleton Houses)

And just about every housing project has a decent-sized (20%+) PR population.
Fantastic post man... Thank you for the great information... When I originally saw the numbers I was actually surprised at how the numbers in Ridgewood were still so high for Puerto Ricans but while preaching towards the Brooklyn border today by Palmetto, Woodbine, Madison, Cornelia and Cypress, Seneca and Myrtle, I realized just how many Puerto Ricans are still in the neighborhood and while there are some that move out it seems like there's a number of new puerto ricans moving in from what my only guess would be Bushwick... When I talk to them they don't sound like your typical third generation Puerto Rican that barely speaks any spanish but rather first or second generation which to be honest was kind of refreshing to see...

I was also shocked at Bushwick's numbers I'm pretty sure they are being undercounted or underrepresented because it seems like everywhere I go in Bushwick I see whole blocks and avenues dominated by Puerto Ricans and I would assume that the Puerto Rican population in that neighborhood would be somewhere around 30-35% Dominican 15-20% Percent and Mexican/Ecuadorian the other 25-30%...

East Harlem also shocked me... I thought it would really be closer to 50%... still a high pop. though not as high as I would have imagined...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 12:00 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,089,400 times
Part of it could be the fact that you might have some PR who are mixed with another Hispanic group, but since I'm pretty sure you can only pick one nationality, they just pick "Other Hispanic". (I mean, I'm sure there are some from a country with Spanish influence that's not listed, but I assume that number is pretty small)

Old 04-01-2012, 12:01 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,868,057 times
I'm surprised Woodhaven is so low.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,089,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I'm surprised Woodhaven is so low.
Well, if you think about it, it's about 50-60% Hispanic. Out of those, it's around 15% Dominican, 13-14% PR, and 17-18% South American, so that adds up to around 45%. It's not too hard to have Mexicans, Cubans, and Central Americans make up the remaining 10% or so (I forgot to check the percentages for those groups).

Old 04-01-2012, 11:59 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,552,857 times
Quote:
Part of it could be the fact that you might have some PR who are mixed with another Hispanic group, but since I'm pretty sure you can only pick one nationality, they just pick "Other Hispanic". (I mean, I'm sure there are some from a country with Spanish influence that's not listed, but I assume that number is pretty small)
This is what I also suspect. You meet many people who are half PR/half DR, half black/half PR, half PR/half Italian etc...so it's up to them whether they identify as PR or not.

Anon1, I have to agree with Bushwick. Even til this day, I feel nothing but Lil Puerto Rico when I go there, not that I don't notice other Hispanic groups, but they still dominate like crazy.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Just so everybody knows, there are practically no neighborhoods in NYC with a PR majority (because majority means the population is over 50%). There are some neighborhoods with a PR plurality (which means they are the largest group, but not over 50%)

Alright. I'm on the socialexplorer site right now. Ridgewood still has the higher Puerto Rican population, but it's not a huge difference.

In Glendale, north of Myrtle Avenue, the PR population is about 13-14%, with the numbers going down as you move further east. South of Myrtle Avenue, it's about 17-18%. There's a pocket by the eastern end of Cypress Avenue where the PR population is 30.1%, but I'm not sure whether that's Ridgewood or Glendale.

In Ridgewood, along Fresh Pond Road, the PR population is in the 11-13% range. Along the Brooklyn-Queens border, it's around 22-23%, and for the rest of the neighborhood, it's in the high teens (18-19%).

As far as other neighborhoods go, Cypress Hills is also in the high teens. For the rest of East NY, it gets lower as you go further south, but it picks up a little bit in Starrett City (the 2 census tracts have a PR population of 10.3% and 12.1%). Sunset Park is in the 20-25% range for the most part (this is only referring to the Hispanic parts, not "Brooklyn's Chinatown"). Mexicans actually outnumber them there, since it's in the 25-30% range (west of 3rd Avenue, it actually goes up to 35.9%)

Bushwick is in a similar situation, but the Mexican population is much smaller (in the single digits for the most part, except for a section west of Myrtle Avenue, going along Wilson Avenue)

The LES has a lot of Puerto Ricans living in the PJs along Avenue D (about 42%). Along Avenue B and C, it's in the 20% range.

In East Harlem, it's in the 30% range, with Mexicans being concentrated in a couple of pockets, but still outnumbered for the most part by PR. Southside Williamsburg is in the 20-25% range, with some Dominicans being concentrated along both sides of the BQE.

In The Bronx, the residential part of Throgs Neck is 34.5% PR. There are a lot in Soundview/Castle Hill (40% area). In the area on the other side of the Bruckner from Country Club (not sure of the name), it's around 20%. Along Pelham Parkway, it's in the 15% range, except immediately by WPR, where it's about 20%.

In the South Bronx east of Webster Avenue, it's in the 30-40% range. West of about Webster Avenue, Dominicans become the plurality (30-40% range). Actually, on the other side of the river, Dominicans are the majority of the population (the highest tract has a DR population of 67.5%). Of course, I'm referring to the Washington Heights/Inwood area. Hamilton Heights has a large DR population (around 35%), but it's not the majority like the areas to the north.

For Woodhaven, Queens, the PR population is about 13% or so, depending on the specific area. Dominicans actually have roughly the same sized population, give or take. South Americans actually outnumber them, being about 17-18% (though if you break it down by country, none of the countries surpasses PR or DR, and yes I know PR is a commonwealth, but you get the point).

Pretty much everywhere else in Queens (except for a few housing projects) is in the single-digits. There are a few in the South Jamaica and Queens Village areas, but nothing special. (Just a little over 5%)

And for my home borough, there is a decent-sized PR population (17-18%) in the Arlington/Mariners' Harbor/Elm Park area, and also in the St. George area (as well as the area by the Stapleton Houses)

And just about every housing project has a decent-sized (20%+) PR population.
After taking a closer look at this statement I forgot to ask you a few questions though...

In terms of the eastern end of Cypress ave being 30% Puerto Rican, what blocks are you not sure about...I am very familiar with the borders for these two areas in question so I could tell you whether its in Ridgewood or Glendale...

I also wanted to know if you knew the exact percentage or a close rough estimate of the Puerto Rican population in Bushwick and where are the concentrations the highest and what are they... I also wanted to know what is the closest estimate for East Harlem as well...

What is the Puerto Rican population in Ozone Park? Do they have any parts where there is a strong Puerto Rican population or is it just majority west indian/asian... When I worked in john adams, there were alot of Guyanese around there and other asian groups but there was also a very strong hispanic presence over there mainly Puerto Rican/Dominican so I was just wondering what the Puerto Rican pop. was like over there... Thanks again man...

Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,552,857 times
Checkmatechamp13, how about the LES below E Houston St? I know there's still a good amount of PRs there like Alphabet City.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 PM

yea he said LES still has a good amount of PRs still... he made it seem as if the pop. over there was almost what it was for east harlem

Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,155,825 times
Anyone know the stats for the Upper West/East Sides? Also a 10 year comparison (2000 v 2010)? I know a lot of Puerto Rican descented Americans that live in those areas, although some identify themselves as White.

I would love to see an income breakdown as well. Areas like Castle Hill get a bad rep although many of the properties owned in that neighborhood are owned by Puerto Ricans. I want to go as far as saying they are squarely middle class economically, while due to the poverty in the area not so much socially.

Country Club, Throgs Neck, Riverdale, Pelham Bay PRs are middle class economically and socially.

I am defining middle class economically as financially stable. Mix of white collar educated professionals, blue collar, and city job holders.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:23 PM

171 posts, read 304,127 times
completely OT but all i know is my Nuyorican and PR friends were and still are some of the warmest and most caring people i have ever known. When i was too broke to do anything other than pay rent they and only they (not even my family) were the ones who made sure i had food in the kitchen and a jacket on my back.
i will never forget the love that i felt and continue to feel to this day from the PR community and it saddens me tremendously that you guys are leaving in droves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City