Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,088,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
Let's not forget that many Puerto Ricans born here have married White Gringos......
So count the wife as PR and don't put down anything for the husband as far as Hispanic origin goes. Problem solved.

For the kids, well, it all depends on how the parents want them to identify (since the parents are the ones filling out the census form).

And BTW, I checked some of the numbers for Philly. It doesn't have a large Hispanic population (12.3%), but their Hispanic population seems to be overwhelmingly Puerto Rican (with some Mexicans mixed in). The thing is that they're much more segregated than here in NYC. There was a tract in the Kensington area where the PR population was 77.8%, and there were a lot of tracts that were 50+% PR, but it was only in one section of the city. (Mostly that Kensington area).

I should've studied it a little more in depth, but that's what stood out to me.

Personally, to me, if the PR population remains the same in NYC and the immediate suburbs (i.e. Not 2 hours away in Allentown, PA or something), but continues spreading out, that's actually good for NYC because it means they are integrating more. Rather than have areas like Philly where you have a 70% PR population in one area and a 1% population in most other areas, you can have a 40% populaton in a few areas, and then a few more areas where the population is 20%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,155,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
Let's not forget that many Puerto Ricans born here have married White Gringos......
As groups assimilate they tend to identify the the American standard. I personally know many Puerto Ricans that identify as White. I feel there is an undercount when it comes to higher income PR earners since most of these people are highly educated, make bank, and sometimes 3rd + generation. It sheds within a generation if the person is ethnically mixed (Italian/Irish being some of the most common).

Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,983,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Don't worry we're not... lol... And appreciate the comment bro... I know some people think Puerto Ricans can be rude or too honest sometimes and its probably true for some of us (we don't hold back lol) but I do feel that as a whole we're a very caring people and that once we warm up to our friends, those are our friends for life and we'll have their back no matter what the situation...

Other hispanic cultures ive known in NYC may be a little nicer on the surface but won't be as caring once they're your friends either so in the end people have to just realize that there's good and bad attributes to each and every culture...
Anon it kills me that you and so many other half bori/half domi hybrids choose the PR side over DR. That is why I refuse to procreate with a Puerto Rican. My kid aint going to choose his PR over his DR. Or I could do what my brother is doing, which is completely brainwash his PR girlfriend into thinking she is Dominican. She is even starting to speak Dominican! I would not be the cause of the death of my culture.

I understand many of you have had dead beat Dominican dads but sigh..everyone wants to be PR.

Tu ere Dominicano mi hermano, que no se te olvide.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree with this, Puerto Ricans are very noticiable in this area even though University Heights is majority Dominican. What I have noticed is that some Ricans in the area are home owners while the majority of Dominicans live in the tenements of university heights and pay rent. I noticed this a couple of years back, however I could be wrong now!
No you're right. It is still like that. Some of the avenues (like University ave) you see mostly Puerto Ricans hanging out in front of buildings. Across the street from my building, a few years ago, all you saw where Puerto Ricans. But Dominicans are still the mayority here. However, as you get closer to the train, PR's make up alot of ground. Grand ave was Heavily Puerto Rican (South Bronx levels) back in 2000, now its Dominican. You still see hundreds of PR flags on those buildings and hanging in the ave. Makes sense, University Heights, like the rest of the Bronx, was Puerto Rican for much of the 80's.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,783,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Anon it kills me that you and so many other half bori/half domi hybrids choose the PR side over DR. That is why I refuse to procreate with a Puerto Rican. My kid aint going to choose his PR over his DR. Or I could do what my brother is doing, which is completely brainwash his PR girlfriend into thinking she is Dominican. She is even starting to speak Dominican! I would not be the cause of the death of my culture.

I understand many of you have had dead beat Dominican dads but sigh..everyone wants to be PR.

Tu ere Dominicano mi hermano, que no se te olvide.
My man... you're hatred for Puerto Ricans really is unhealthy... And real talk for a minute... I can understand where you're coming from but I've seen both sides of the fence and there's good and bad with every race... And don't get it backwards and think for one second that I don't know what I am... I appreciate both my backgrounds equally, the only difference is, I grew up at a time where the area around me was mostly Puerto Rican or Black... The Blacks at the time hated us Puerto Ricans when I got jumped they had my back and we stuck together...

I didn't have that experience with my fellow Dominicans because they came later so yea I do feel a certain way about Puerto Ricans because they were there for me no matter what... Some of them had attitude, and alot of them acted stupid for no reason (I know, and that's why I stopped hanging out with the ignorant ones)... but that doesn't change the fact that even though we didn't keep close ties, they always considered me a friend and they had my back through thick and thin...

That being said, just because of my past experiences, that doesn't mean I don't get down with both races the same and in fact I probably hang out way more with Dominicans now that they are becoming the dominant group in my neighborhood more than Puerto Ricans... Both races are cool and if you just learn to move on from whatever you went through and realize those past issues were just some ignorant idiots disgracing their people... you can let go of that hate, ignore the stupid ones and have some real friendships with a group of people that are not so different from your own... We're caribbean brother... we have the same blood and as much as we like to fight it, there's alot of similarities between both races...

Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
My man... you're hatred for Puerto Ricans really is unhealthy... And real talk for a minute... I can understand where you're coming from but I've seen both sides of the fence and there's good and bad with every race... And don't get it backwards and think for one second that I don't know what I am... I appreciate both my backgrounds equally, the only difference is, I grew up at a time where the area around me was mostly Puerto Rican or Black... The Blacks at the time hated us Puerto Ricans when I got jumped they had my back and we stuck together...

I didn't have that experience with my fellow Dominicans because they came later so yea I do feel a certain way about Puerto Ricans because they were there for me no matter what... Some of them had attitude, and alot of them acted stupid for no reason (I know, and that's why I stopped hanging out with the ignorant ones)... but that doesn't change the fact that even though we didn't keep close ties, they always considered me a friend and they had my back through thick and thin...

That being said, just because of my past experiences, that doesn't mean I don't get down with both races the same and in fact I probably hang out way more with Dominicans now that they are becoming the dominant group in my neighborhood more than Puerto Ricans... Both races are cool and if you just learn to move on from whatever you went through and realize those past issues were just some ignorant idiots disgracing their people... you can let go of that hate, ignore the stupid ones and have some real friendships with a group of people that are not so different from your own... We're caribbean brother... we have the same blood and as much as we like to fight it, there's alot of similarities between both races...
Ok, respect my brother.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,331,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Ok, respect my brother.
We are all beautiful, God's creations, and need to remember that when it's tossed around that we're not. The most time I have wasted in life has been fighting against stereotypes about African Americans. I am me -- a unique, beautiful person. I hope that one day we can look at each other as individuals without the race or ethnicity lens, and preconceived notions about how we're supposed to be. As one of you said, DR, PR are very alike. And, truth to tell, based on the DNA of AAs, all three groups are more similar than what common opinion says.

I have DR and PR, Panamanian , Cuban. Ecuadorian, and more, brothers & sisters from another mother, and total love and respect for them all.

Please, let's stop putting each other on some pecking order based on some arbitrary BS.

One Love <3

Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 AM

359 posts, read 327,399 times
thats bad ass

Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,783,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
We are all beautiful, God's creations, and need to remember that when it's tossed around that we're not. The most time I have wasted in life has been fighting against stereotypes about African Americans. I am me -- a unique, beautiful person. I hope that one day we can look at each other as individuals without the race or ethnicity lens, and preconceived notions about how we're supposed to be. As one of you said, DR, PR are very alike. And, truth to tell, based on the DNA of AAs, all three groups are more similar than what common opinion says.

I have DR and PR, Panamanian , Cuban. Ecuadorian, and more, brothers & sisters from another mother, and total love and respect for them all.

Please, let's stop putting each other on some pecking order based on some arbitrary BS.

One Love <3
You know what I love... This... It seems like lately we've been having some really productive and educational race discussions without any ignorance... It's when we can do this without sarcasm, ignorance, or stupidity like we're doing now that progress can happen...

Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,155,564 times
Spin city - m.NYPOST.com

(Fist Pump!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City