U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-10-2012, 02:51 PM
 
8,750 posts, read 16,013,600 times
Reputation: 4168

Advertisements

Being on section 8 does not make you a "welfare moocher that doesn't know what you are talking about"....maybe it does in your eyes...but not mine. The facts haven't changed, due to the economy movement of ALL people has slowed, but not stopped...which applies to PR. As the economy improves PRs will resume their migration out of NYC, if you believe otherwise, please provide evidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 5,910,417 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Being on section 8 does not make you a "welfare moocher that doesn't know what you are talking about"....maybe it does in your eyes...but not mine. The facts haven't changed, due to the economy movement of ALL people has slowed, but not stopped...which applies to PR. As the economy improves PRs will resume their migration out of NYC, if you believe otherwise, please provide evidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure that section 8 comment that I made no reference to was probably misinterpreted...

As for facts you yourself have read them and posted them on here and I've explained to you as well as others throughout this thread... There's really no need to continue repeating myself...

As for your exclamation points and other attacks and sly remarks I can see how you feel about this topic and clearly I've hit a nerve... Oddly enough, maybe because the only type of Puerto Rican people you see are the ones in your little bubble of Mott Haven you want to assume that the low class people you constantly attack as being lazy and crime oriented are moving out... But the reality is that the vast majority of Puerto Ricans in this city are moving out of bad neighborhoods but not out of the city but rather across the city to many other middle class areas and the fact that the percentage loss of Puerto Ricans from 00-09 was almost nil when early on during that decade they left in masses tells you that the movement stopped... Not that it diminished... It STOPPED... and when you can comprehend that and realize that many Puerto Ricans and AA's as well are moving into working middle class areas that were once considered a no-go, then we might be able to have a reasonable discussion...

Most of Florida aside, many Puerto Ricans and AA's who moved down south didn't realize how different this city really is in comparison with down south... The only reason why prejudice and racism isn't always seen down south is because the diversity in these areas is and was nearly non-existant... But many are starting realize with the change in demographics how backwards some of these areas really are and are starting to move back... It's happened with a number of friends of mine but you don't even have to take my word for it... Take a poll on city-data and look up the statistics for yourself to see that many are deciding to move back... Whether it be because of what I just mentioned or because of boredom, or lack of jobs or whatever it may be... A number of people are finding that things weren't as they imagined it would be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM
 
8,750 posts, read 16,013,600 times
Reputation: 4168
I actually don't claim PRs are lazy or crime oriented, but I will say there is a lack of work ethic among many which is endemic to poor communities..and isn't unique to any one group. I have never explicitly attacked any group however. Furthermore, my exposure to PRs is from multiple neighborhoods, and states, I have lived in Florida and NJ, and not just NYC. How about you?

If you believe that the "vast majority of PRs are not moving out of NYC but in fact moving out of bad neighborhoods and into middle class neighborhoods" PLEASE CITE YOUR SOURCE. If you believe there are a substantial number of PRs who have left NYC and now are returning due to all the reasons you listed, PLEASE CITE YOUR SOURCE.

All of my statements are backed up with specific facts, articles, and census data, etc. I am happy to believe all of your claims IF YOU PROVIDE YOUR SOURCE of information. Until then, my facts remain...PRs are leaving NYC for the sunbelt, and although that number has slowed recently due to the economy, as it has for almost every group, the trend will continue as the economy once again improves. The end.

PS-For the record I don't consider "PRs" in neighborhoods like Mott Haven to be PR. They are 3, 4, and 5 generations here, and have no idea or sense of what being PR is or means. To these people, it means waving a flag once a year, hanging out at the bodega drinking malta, and liking Marc Anthony. If they are lucky they get to visit a friend or random cousin in PR once every 10 years. They are simply poor people at this point who speak bad spanish AND bad english, no more, no less.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 04-10-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,296 posts, read 4,649,465 times
Reputation: 1084
The source for the changing demographics for NYC is the New York City Department of City Planning - Population Division. They have written about this subject extensively, and have stated that Puerto Ricans suburbanize within the city and do not move out at the same rate as other groups.

Please stop this silly fussing and contact them to get the information you're seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 09:58 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,712,672 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
The source for the changing demographics for NYC is the New York City Department of City Planning - Population Division. They have written about this subject extensively, and have stated that Puerto Ricans suburbanize within the city and do not move out at the same rate as other groups.

Please stop this silly fussing and contact them to get the information you're seeking.
I hate the word "suburbanizing". I prefer integration into existing moderate and higher income communities. More accurate in reference to NYC.

Here is a article on Hispanic/Latinos in general and how with every generation the term becomes less relevant. This would further skew the stats on the PR experience.

Self-Identification among Hispanics Sociological Images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 8,200,326 times
Reputation: 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
1% decrease from 00-09... what does that hold in store for the future?
Actually it's more then that. 785,000 in 2000 vs 723,000 in 2010. Anyway, I believe that the PR decline, AA decline, and the White population decline has slowed down is due to the economy [many are stuck here]. I believe PR's will always has a solid presence in this city for a very long time, even though they will most likely be surpassed by other hispanic groups soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,296 posts, read 4,649,465 times
Reputation: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I hate the word "suburbanizing". I prefer integration into existing moderate and higher income communities. More accurate in reference to NYC.

Here is a article on Hispanic/Latinos in general and how with every generation the term becomes less relevant. This would further skew the stats on the PR experience.

Self-Identification among Hispanics Sociological Images
Not my terminology although it means what you've described above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/BK
1,271 posts, read 2,239,033 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Actually it's more then that. 785,000 in 2000 vs 723,000 in 2010. Anyway, I believe that the PR decline, AA decline, and the White population decline has slowed down is due to the economy [many are stuck here]. I believe PR's will always has a solid presence in this city for a very long time, even though they will most likely be surpassed by other hispanic groups soon.
You know I've seen numbers vary from 800,000 to about 725,000 for 2010, so who knows what the real numbers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,048 posts, read 18,566,748 times
Reputation: 8097
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Actually it's more then that. 785,000 in 2000 vs 723,000 in 2010. Anyway, I believe that the PR decline, AA decline, and the White population decline has slowed down is due to the economy [many are stuck here]. I believe PR's will always has a solid presence in this city for a very long time, even though they will most likely be surpassed by other hispanic groups soon.
This is what I have been saying for sometime. The economic. Slowdown forced many native new yorkers stay down for a while until things are in the clear including myself. Also many are stuck due to jobs and ill parents who they have to comfort and financially support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,048 posts, read 18,566,748 times
Reputation: 8097
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
You know I've seen numbers vary from 800,000 to about 725,000 for 2010, so who knows what the real numbers are.
Numbers change everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top