U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM
 
84 posts, read 94,782 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Thanks for telling me boliqua2. I now understand why Sobroguy thinks that Puertoricans are infestation to NYCHA and he does not feel like he's in the island when he visits one of our predominant neighborhoods (Barrios) throughout NYC. Because the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx was full of graffiti, drugs (especially crack), prostitution, AIDS, gang and crime infestation in the 70's, 80's and 90's due to the depression of abandoned buildings and extreme poverty. Alot of Puertoricans that grew up in this environment felt a low self-esteem about themselves and living in the same environment for years will impact anyone's way of life.

But now it's 2013. The Mott Haven section of the South Bronx is an up and coming neighborhood now which is now called "Downtown Bronx" where there are newly renovated buildings all over the neighborhood and new businesses are now being established as well. NYCHA housing projects (especially in Mott Haven) such as Millbrook, Mitchells, Mott Haven, Patterson, Betances and Jackson will have security camaras installed by the end of this year. Overall, Mott Haven is now a clean and enjoyable neighborhood to visit or live in.

The Puertorican graffiti artist of today are now going to college to become an Artist, a Web and/or Graphic Designer, a Writer/Publisher. The Puertorican Drug Dealers of today are now going to school to become Pharmacy Technicians, Pharmacist, they are now Executives in the Network Marketing fields with profitable companies such as Amway, Nuskin, Herballife, etc. and some are actually going to college for Business Administration to own their own legitimate businesses. The Puertorican ladies that were once looking for financial success and/or drug habit support through prostitution are now using their beauty, natural attributes and talents make a drug-free honest living to support themselves and their families by graduating from career training and colleges and getting legitimate high paying jobs without having to sell their bodies to make a living. There are HIV clinics in the entire South Bronx to control the AIDS epidemic and will soon be a cure to HIV and AIDS. The Puertorican gangsters of today now have good paying jobs in Construction, Network Administrators, Pest Control Technology, Substance Abuse Counseling, etc. or are making success in sports or in the music industry as singers, dancers and/or rappers. They don't have to terrorize the South Bronx anymore to make a living like they used to. Crime in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx was do to extreme poverty which created depression and low self-esteem among Puertoricans in this neighborhood and other predominantly Puertorican neighborhoods as well but those days are over Sobroguy, okay?

Last edited by hablodecorazon2013; 06-12-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,964,901 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
Thanks for telling me boliqua2. I now understand why Sobroguy thinks that Puertoricans are infestation to NYCHA and he does not feel like he's in the island when he visits one of our predominant neighborhoods (Barrios) throughout NYC. Because the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx was full graffiti, drug (especially crack), prostitution, AIDS, gang and crime infestation in the 70's, 80's and 90's due to the depression of abandoned buildings and extreme poverty. Alot of Puertoricans that grew up in this environment felt a low self-esteem about themselves and living on the same environment for years will impact anyone's way of life.

But now it's 2013. The Mott Haven section of the South Bronx is an up and coming neighborhood now which is now called "Downtown Bronx" where there are newly renovated buildings all over the neighborhood and new businesses are now being established as well. NYCHA housing projects (especially in Mott Haven) such as Millbrook, Mitchells, Mott Haven, Patterson, Betances and Jackson will have security camaras installed by the end of this year. Overall, Mott Haven is now a clean and enjoyable neighborhood to visit or live in.

The Puertorican graffiti artist of today are now going to college to become an Artist, a Web and/or Graphic Designer, a Writer/Publisher. The Puertorican Drug Dealers of today are now going to school to become Pharmacy Technicians, Pharmacist, they are now Executives in the Network Marketing fields with profitable companies such as Amway, Nuskin, Herballife, etc. and some are actually going to college for Business Administration to own their own legitimate businesses. The Puertorican ladies that were once looking for financial success and/or drug habit support through prostitution are now using their beauty, natural attributes and talents make a drug-free honest living to support themselves and their families by graduating from career training and colleges and getting legitimate high paying jobs without having to sell their bodies to make a living. There are HIV clinics in the entire South Bronx to control the AIDS epidemic and will soon be a cure to HIV and AIDS. The Puertorican gangsters of today now have good paying jobs in Construction, Network Administrators, Pest Control Technology, Substance Abuse Counseling, etc. or are making success the music industry as singers, dancers and/or rappers and they don't have to terrorize the South Bronx anymore to make a living like they used to. Crime in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx was do to extreme poverty which created depression and low self-esteem among Puertoricans in this neighborhood and other predominantly Puertorican neighborhoods as well but those days are over Sobroguy, okay?
You make it sound as if there are no longer Puerto Ricans that are suffering from poverty and unemployment. That is hard to believe in this current economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 10:23 AM
 
8,750 posts, read 16,048,945 times
Reputation: 4168
Hablodecorazon is clearly out of his mind.....I think you should call yourself "Hablodemierda" or "Hablodelocuras"..because that's how you are coming across. Good luck with what you are selling, because nobody is buying it!

And with that, I will no longer respond to that commenter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 AM
 
84 posts, read 94,782 times
Reputation: 17
Cool Grosvenor, there is a huge difference between extreme poverty and poverty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
You make it sound as if there are no longer Puerto Ricans that are suffering from poverty and unemployment. That is hard to believe in this current economy.
If you were born and raised in the South Bronx, you would understand what it feels like living in extreme poverty, which is worse than poverty and unemployment. The South Bronx of the 70's, 80's and 90's was a place of starvation and dehydration. The factories all over Bruckner blvd and Hunts point were all paying minimum wage and there weren't enough jobs for everybody in the South Bronx. Puertorican bodega owners and Cuchifritos (restaurants) were selling their business to the the Dominicans for $100,000 and leaving NYC, in which did hurt employment opportunities for Puertoricans in the South Bronx and other predominantly Puertorican neighborhoods dramatically. For alot of Puertoricans (especially in the South Bronx), the only way to get money was to collect welfare/SSI/SSD/food stamps, prostitution (women), sell piragua and/or cocito (Puertorican Ices) that required alot of money to invest, run a number spot, sell drugs or do stick ups because the majority of companies in NYC was discriminating us because the people in those companies that were doing the hiring were not Puertorican like us and were hiring their own kind. That's extreme poverty.

Now, yes there are Puertoricans that are in poverty and unemployment but we are now working our way out of it becuase of decades of low self-esteem, frustration and extreme poverty that we are tired of suffering by watching everything we need and want in life on TV year after year. Even though we as a people have been through hell on earth, we do have a great future and we are gonna make it to the top legitimately whether other people like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 10:54 AM
 
84 posts, read 94,782 times
Reputation: 17
Cool As I previously mentioned, extreme poverty does greatly impact someone's way of life as far as low self-esteem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Hablodecorazon is clearly out of his mind.....I think you should call yourself "Hablodemierda" or "Hablodelocuras"..because that's how you are coming across. Good luck with what you are selling, because nobody is buying it!

And with that, I will no longer respond to that commenter!

You could live for the future or live in the past and suffer within yourself Sobroguy, it's your choice in this lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,964,901 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
If you were born and raised in the South Bronx, you would understand what it feels like living in extreme poverty, which is worse than poverty and unemployment. The South Bronx of the 70's, 80's and 90's was a place of starvation and dehydration. The factories all over Bruckner blvd and Hunts point were all paying minimum wage and there weren't enough jobs for everybody in the South Bronx. Puertorican bodega owners and Cuchifritos (restaurants) were selling their business to the the Dominicans for $100,000 and leaving NYC, in which did hurt employment opportunities for Puertoricans in the South Bronx and other predominantly Puertorican neighborhoods dramatically. For alot of Puertoricans (especially in the South Bronx), the only way to get money was to collect welfare/SSI/SSD/food stamps, prostitution (women), sell piragua and/or cocito (Puertorican Ices) that required alot of money to invest, run a number spot, sell drugs or do stick ups because the majority of companies in NYC was discriminating us because the people in those companies that were doing the hiring were not Puertorican like us and were hiring their own kind. That's extreme poverty.

Now, yes there are Puertoricans that are in poverty and unemployment but we are now working our way out of it becuase of decades of low self-esteem, frustration and extreme poverty that we are tired of suffering by watching everything we need and want in life on TV year after year. Even though we as a people have been through hell on earth, we do have a great future and we are gonna make it to the top legitimately whether other people like it or not.
The unemployment numbers seem to say otherwise. Anytime I watch the news, they point to unemployment numbers rising among Hispanics and African-Americans here in New York City, so why would it be any different for Puerto Ricans?

Quite frankly, as far as I'm concerned, we are still in a recession and a bad one at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM
 
84 posts, read 94,782 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
The unemployment numbers seem to say otherwise. Anytime I watch the news, they point to unemployment numbers rising among Hispanics and African-Americans here in New York City, so why would it be any different for Puerto Ricans?

Quite frankly, as far as I'm concerned, we are still in a recession and a bad one at that.
Actually, the media's statistics are not always accurate Grosvenor. Just visit any section of the South Bronx on any weekday, hang out there from 7am-7pm and you'll see that the majority of Puertoricans and African Americans are either going/coming from school/work or going/coming from a job interview. There's not alot of people hanging out in the South Bronx Monday-Friday between 9am-5pm. Ask any African American or Puertorican walking around Third Avenue & 149th Street (a shopping district in the South Bronx called "The Hub") on Monday-Friday between 7:00am-7:00pm if they're at The Hub because they're hanging out and shopping or because they're either looking for a job, in school/job training or going/coming from work. You'll know the facts by survey then Sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,964,901 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
Actually, the media's statistics are not always accurate Grosvenor. Just visit any section of the South Bronx on any weekday, hang out there from 7am-7pm and you'll see that the majority of Puertoricans and African Americans are either going/coming from school/work or going/coming from a job interview. There's not alot of people hanging out in the South Bronx Monday-Friday between 9am-5pm. Ask any African American or Puertorican walking around Third Avenue & 149th Street (a shopping district in the South Bronx called "The Hub") on Monday-Friday between 7:00am-7:00pm if they're at The Hub because they're hanging out and shopping or because they're either looking for a job, in school/job training or going/coming from work. You'll know the facts by survey then Sir.
Just because people are out and about doesn't necessarily mean they're employed. There was just a report out a few days ago that highlighted how difficult it is to find work because there are still not enough jobs being created, so I don't know where you're getting this fallacy from that everyone is out and about working because many people can't find jobs and have given up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM
 
84 posts, read 94,782 times
Reputation: 17
Cool Again, obtain the facts yourself. Don't rely on the media to tell you what's happening in the world:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Just because people are out and about doesn't necessarily mean they're employed. There was just a report out a few days ago that highlighted how difficult it is to find work because there are still not enough jobs being created, so I don't know where you're getting this fallacy from that everyone is out and about working because many people can't find jobs and have given up.

Anyone that does not have a college degree and/or that's not certified for a specific career will have great difficulty to find long-term employment. I previous mentioned that the Puertoricans and African Americans in the South Bronx alone that are not employed yet are attending school, job training or college to qualify for a specific career once certification and/or degree is granted. The PRs and AAs that are employed have graduated from either a job training or a college degree that's high in demand. In the near future, there will be PRs and AAs owning their own family businesses in the field that they specialize in, houses and buildings all over NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,964,901 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
Anyone that does not have a college degree and/or that's not certified for a specific career will have a great difficulty to find employment. I previous mentioned that the Puertoricans and African Americans in the South Bronx alone that are not employed yet are attending school, job training or college to qualify for a specific career once certification and/or degree is granted. The PRs and AAs that are employed have graduated from either a job training or a college degree that's high in demand. In the near future, there will be PRs and AAs owning their own family businesses in the field that they specialize in, houses and buildings all over NYC.
Listen, I get that Puerto Ricans and African-Americans are making strives and some are doing better, but I think you're exaggerating. It's even hard for recent college graduates and people with experience and advanced degrees to get jobs in this economy and the statistics show that African-Americans and Hispanics are still underachieving significantly in school, so the question is where are African-Americans and Hispanics supposed to be getting these fabulous high paying jobs at when other people that are just as qualified or more qualified can't find work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top