U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
 
84 posts, read 94,815 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Listen, I get that Puerto Ricans and African-Americans are making strives and some are doing better, but I think you're exaggerating. It's even hard for recent college graduates and people with experience and advanced degrees to get jobs in this economy and the statistics show that African-Americans and Hispanics are still underachieving significantly in school, so the question is where are African-Americans and Hispanics supposed to be getting these fabulous high paying jobs at when other people that are just as qualified or more qualified can't find work?
If you want to find out that I'm not exaggerating, call every job training school and college in the Bronx and ask their employment specialist what is the percentage of graduates that get placed with long-term employment immediately after graduation/certification. Most have at least an 85% placement rate, and the majority of the students that attend these job training schools and colleges are PRs and AAs. Also, ask them what are their starting salary when they get placed in long-term employment and I guarantee you that it's at least 20K per year and as experience and/or continuing education increases, income increases as well. That's where PRs and AAs actually get their career opportunities from and it's profitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,965,146 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
If you want to find out that I'm not exaggerating, call every job training school and college in the Bronx and ask their employment specialist what is the percentage of graduates that get placed with long-term employment immediately after graduation/certification. Most have at least an 85% placement rate, and the majority of the students that attend these job training schools and colleges are PRs and AAs. Also, ask them what are their starting salary when they get placed in long-term employment and I guarantee you that it's at least 20K per year and as experience and/or continuing education increases, income increases as well. That's where PRs and AAs actually get their career opportunities from and it's profitable.
Are you serious with this comment???? 20k is considered to be right in line with low poverty levels, so how are they supposed to be pulling themselves out of poverty making 20,000 a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM
 
84 posts, read 94,815 times
Reputation: 17
Cool Easy does it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Are you serious with this comment???? 20k is considered to be right in line with low poverty levels, so how are they supposed to be pulling themselves out of poverty making 20,000 a year?
As I've previously mentioned, as work experience and/or continuing education increases, so will income increase and the sky is the limit. PRs and AAs are known for sacrificing their life to make it to the top when something is really profitable. Financial success is really for business owners with their own specialty in careers, so PR's and AA's future is solid gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,965,146 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
As I've previously mentioned, as work experience and/or continuing education increases, so will income increase and the sky is the limit. PRs and AAs are known for sacrificing their life to make it to the top when something is really profitable. Financial success is really for business owners with their own specialty in careers, so PR's and AA's future is solid gold.
But if you're going to make that comment, you have know that African-Americans and Hispanics continue to lag behind other groups in terms of education and not by a small amount either, so it's hard to believe that somehow these two groups are doing so well yet the numbers (education and unemployment) paint a different picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:21 PM
 
84 posts, read 94,815 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
But if you're going to make that comment, you have know that African-Americans and Hispanics continue to lag behind other groups in terms of education and not by a small amount either, so it's hard to believe that somehow these two groups are doing so well yet the numbers (education and unemployment) paint a different picture.
85% is a much more higher number compared to the media statistics that you commenting about Grosvenor. It's also 85% in all job training schools and colleges throughout NYC where the majority of students and graduates are PRs and AAs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,965,146 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
85% is a much more higher number comparing to media statistics that you commenting about Grosvenor.
85% meaning what??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:37 PM
 
84 posts, read 94,815 times
Reputation: 17
Cool 85%:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
85% meaning what??
The Long-Term Employment percentage of PRs and AAs that graduate from job training schools and colleges. PRs and AAs that are not elderly, disabled or under 18 years old are either still in high school, in GED school, job training/apprenticeship school, college, employed or owning their own business. 100% of PRs and AAs are working on their careers and 85% are starting or advancing in their careers. The other 15% are pursuing their careers in another state, so it's all profitable and pure gold. Those media statistics that you commenting about is designed to keep PRs and AAs down and out, but it's not working anymore Sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,769 posts, read 10,180,494 times
Reputation: 14284
Sure, there are many black and Hispanics who are unemployed. But they are in the minority. A majority of Blacks and Hispanics are employed -- in New York City and elsewhere.

Hablo is right in that some people have alternative paths to success. Some go to trade schools and obtain specialized training. They get their foot in the door, making entry level pay, and then go on to command higher salaries as their experience progresses. They can become supervisors and managers. At a law firm I was at years ago, I'd assume about 40% of the skilled, non-lawyer staff was minority. The salaries were over $50,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,965,146 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
The Long-Term Employment percentage of PRs and AAs that graduate from job training schools and colleges. PRs and AAs that are not elderly, disabled or under 18 years old are either still in high school, in GED school, job training/apprenticeship school, college, employed or owning their own business. 100% of PRs and AAs are working on their careers and 85% are starting or advancing in their careers. The other 15% are pursuing their careers in another state, so it's all profitable and pure gold. Those media statistics that you commenting about is designed to keep PRs and AAs down and out, but it's not working anymore Sir.
Those numbers are very misleading. You make it sound as if there are no African-Americans or Hispanics unemployed when that is simply not true. We're in a recession now so no one is doing that great. I don't see why it would be any different for African-Americans or Hispanics. If they're doing that great, they should put out the word to all of the recent college graduates that can't find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM
 
84 posts, read 94,815 times
Reputation: 17
Cool Actually, those numbers are accurate and I've previously proved my point, I have no need to prove it twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Those numbers are very misleading. You make it sound as if there are no African-Americans or Hispanics unemployed when that is simply not true. We're in a recession now so no one is doing that great. I don't see why it would be any different for African-Americans or Hispanics. If they're doing that great, they should put out the word to all of the recent college graduates that can't find a job.
The PRs and AAs that are unemployed are either under 18 years old, disabled, elderly or in school. The PRs and AAs that do have careers that are not high in demand are going back to school to upgrade their career skills and are getting employed by the employment connections that employment specialists in all job training/apprenticeship schools and/or colleges have with companies for their graduates. I did not say that there are no PRs and AAs that are unemployed. The recession has nothing to do with the employed or the potential employee within companies that's not affected by the recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top