U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,402 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Every.puerto rican should.go the loom on flushing avenue on august 10th for beer drinking fun while lots.of students.listen to.local bands for free and proceeds will benefit our nyc based community and youth empowermenf charity , called Social Animal Trust.
We rescue hundreds of dogs and cats in both nyc and the island if puerto rico every year. Prican and community pride..humane education and character building for our youth who are so often exposed to violence and racism.



Inky Blue Sea Animal Rescue or

www.SocialAnimalTrust.org

WE ARE Also on facebook by searching for inky blue sea companion animal
Rescue....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2013, 09:33 AM
 
480 posts, read 797,344 times
Reputation: 623
I miss Puerto Ricans in New York City. They are the most familiar out of the Latinos to me...I live in Washington Heights and um...no further comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Q44
 
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
895 posts, read 760,557 times
Reputation: 1761
Speaking of Puerto Ricans in NYC, is there a grocery store in Manhattan selling quenepas? Have not had them in years since moving upstate. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,853 posts, read 7,606,398 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I agree. This is exactly what happened to my neighborhood in the Bronx in the late 60's and early 70's. The Irish/Italians/Jews moved out and were replaced by Puerto Ricans mostly. Now that I'm back in the neighborhood I still see a sizeable Hispanic presence but I'm not sure it's predominantly Puerto Rican. Seems like a lot of Dominicans and Mexicans.

Anon, Sobro, Super Mario, what's your take on Bedford Park and Norwood? Predominantly Puerto Rican, Dominican or Mexican?
Hispanic Origins Across NYC | WNYC

Mix of PR & DR, with a handful of Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2013, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,853 posts, read 7,606,398 times
Reputation: 1583
I didn't want to bump this thread, but I thought some people might find this interesting:
2010 Census for New York Information - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps
2010 Census for New York Information - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps
2010 Census for New York Information - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps
2010 Census for New York Information - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps
2010 Census for New York Information - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps

Ranked in order of PR population from first to last we have:
Bronx: 21.6%
Staten Island: 8.0%
Brooklyn: 7.0%
Manhattan: 6.8%
Queens: 4.6%

In order of Mexican population from first to last we have:
Bronx: 5.1%
Queens: 4.2%
Staten Island: 4.0%
Brooklyn: 3.8%
Manhattan: 2.6%

So Staten Island of all places is actually ranked second-highest in terms of its PR population, despite Manhattan having the famous "El Barrio" & LES, and Brooklyn having Bushwick & Sunset Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 5,911,021 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I didn't want to bump this thread, but I thought some people might find this interesting:
2010 Census for New York Information - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps
2010 Census for New York Information - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps
2010 Census for New York Information - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps
2010 Census for New York Information - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps
2010 Census for New York Information - ZIP Code Database, ZIP Code Maps

Ranked in order of PR population from first to last we have:
Bronx: 21.6%
Staten Island: 8.0%
Brooklyn: 7.0%
Manhattan: 6.8%
Queens: 4.6%

In order of Mexican population from first to last we have:
Bronx: 5.1%
Queens: 4.2%
Staten Island: 4.0%
Brooklyn: 3.8%
Manhattan: 2.6%

So Staten Island of all places is actually ranked second-highest in terms of its PR population, despite Manhattan having the famous "El Barrio" & LES, and Brooklyn having Bushwick & Sunset Park.
I'm real surprised at the Bronx and Brooklyn being so low. Not so much at the other three mainly because SI right now is the only area increasing in PR population while Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn continue to lose theirs. And to be fair, Queens really never had a strong PR pop. other than places like Ridgewood/Glendale/Maspeth borderline, Woodhaven/Ozone Park/LIC/Flushing/Jamaica where even then no one place had a dominant (more than 50% of the overall pop.) hold on a neighborhood. Manhattan, nowadays is becoming increasingly white and less everything else. The only areas that still have decent size PR pop. is by ave's C and D on the LES, the projects in East Village, some parts of Clinton Hill/Hell's Kitchen by 9th and 10th ave late 40's early 50s, Chelsea PJ's, and East Harlem. Other than that, the PR pop. is non-existant in Manhattan.

I'm surprised at Brooklyn only because supposedly, based on the latest census (can't remember exactly) latinos represented somewhere around 30% of the overall demographics in BK and I would highly doubt that Dominicans outnumber Puerto Ricans in Brooklyn which would mean that Mexicans/Ecuadorians completely took over in a matter of ten years as the number one hispanic group in BK. I just don't see it. You'll find PR folk almost everywhere in Brooklyn. Where I work now in Bensonhurst you'll see a good chunk of PR flags waving from homes and Bay Ridge is no different. You got Coney Island, Sunset, Bushwick, Cypress Hills, City Line (nowhere near as strong as before but still notable), parts of Greenpoint, Starrett City, Wyckoff heights, and people always sleep on Williamsburg like it's lost it's PR population. This is where Puerto Ricans first started moving to in BK. East Williamsburg and South Williamsburg still have significant PR pop. especially in certain sections.

I was thinking that the 2010 census would be something along the lines of:

Bronx: 27-30%
Brooklyn: 10-11%
SI: 7-10%
Queens: 5%
Manhattan: 4%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM
 
192 posts, read 195,543 times
Reputation: 198
The highest rate of public assistance in the US by ethnicity goes to the Puerto Ricans.

Funny how stupid Angel Garcia's rants are in perspective of reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,853 posts, read 7,606,398 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I'm surprised at Brooklyn only because supposedly, based on the latest census (can't remember exactly) latinos represented somewhere around 30% of the overall demographics in BK and I would highly doubt that Dominicans outnumber Puerto Ricans in Brooklyn which would mean that Mexicans/Ecuadorians completely took over in a matter of ten years as the number one hispanic group in BK. I just don't see it. You'll find PR folk almost everywhere in Brooklyn. Where I work now in Bensonhurst you'll see a good chunk of PR flags waving from homes and Bay Ridge is no different. You got Coney Island, Sunset, Bushwick, Cypress Hills, City Line (nowhere near as strong as before but still notable), parts of Greenpoint, Starrett City, Wyckoff heights, and people always sleep on Williamsburg like it's lost it's PR population. This is where Puerto Ricans first started moving to in BK. East Williamsburg and South Williamsburg still have significant PR pop. especially in certain sections.
Actually, Brooklyn was only 20% Hispanic (it says it in the link: 19.8%).

PRs are still the largest Hispanic group in Brooklyn. 19.8 - 7.0 = 12.8, and then minus 3.8 gives you 9%. Unless that 9% is just one group (which it isn't, I'm telling you right now), then that means the group which has 7% (in this case, PR) is the largest.

In any case, you have to consider that those areas are only certain portions of the borough (there are whole swaths of the borough almost entirely devoid of Hispanics), and even within those areas, PR aren't the only Hispanic group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2013, 12:38 PM
 
22 posts, read 39,473 times
Reputation: 34
Default Statictics Data Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsui View Post
The highest rate of public assistance in the US by ethnicity goes to the Puerto Ricans.

Funny how stupid Angel Garcia's rants are in perspective of reality.
I read your post and I looked it up - the welfare statistics on Statistic Brain (a pretty reputable site, data source used was: US Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Commerce, CATO Institute) is reporting that as of 9/30/13....... 17.5% of recipients are Hispanic, 38.8% are White and 38.9% are Black.

May I ask where you got your information? I'm curious and would like to do a little more research. Thank you I am also going to check out Angel Garcia's rants lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2013, 04:56 PM
 
7,402 posts, read 5,891,446 times
Reputation: 3762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Speaking of Puerto Ricans in NYC, is there a grocery store in Manhattan selling quenepas? Have not had them in years since moving upstate. Thanks.

You might find them in Korean fruit stores that market to Caribbean people. We call them guineps. Not as good as those back home though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top