U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 12:05 AM

84 posts, read 194,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Soundview and Castle Hill in the Bronx should both be atop that list.
Definitely Castle Hill is full of Puerto Ricans
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:13 AM

484 posts, read 333,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The Puerto Ricans of the NYC city metro can be found everywhere, in every income strata and of every race. Many are also mixed ethnically. Italian-Puerto Rican, Irish-Puerto Rican, Dominican-Puerto Rican, African American- Puerto Rican. Although the populations are declining in traditionally low income areas (formally highest concentration), they are rising in middle and upper income nabes,

A lot more Puerto Ricans in areas like Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Pelham Bay, Pelham Parkway, Riverdale, Fieldston, the Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Chelsea, Meatpacking District, Greenwich Village, ect.

Even areas traditionally Puerto Rican, a demographic change for the better, like the Lower East Side, East Village, Williamsburg, East Harlem, ect.

Many of the "gentrifiers" I have met have been Puerto Rican decent. Born in the city, moved out when times were bad but now coming back.
People have told me that the demographics in Spanish/East Harlem has changed quite a bit from what it once was.

They say there are a lot more African-Americans now, besides a fairly recent arrival of Mexicans.

Is this true?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,300,188 times
Quote:
Miami is more Dominican. Orlando is Puerto Rican land in FL.

Although you find both in those places.
Miami may have a lot of Puerto Ricans, but the largest Hispanic group is Cubans by a longshot.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM

801 posts, read 868,806 times
Hey guys have you ever saw the Puerto Rican factory in NewYork?? I know thats where you can find all Puerto Rico !!!! Lol......::

Old 10-09-2011, 05:20 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,205,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Miami may have a lot of Puerto Ricans, but the largest Hispanic group is Cubans by a longshot.
Definitely. I am just saying that Dominicans are the 2nd dominant hispanic group, not Puerto Ricans.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 PM

801 posts, read 868,806 times
Quote:
Definitely. I am just saying that Dominicans are the 2nd dominant hispanic group, not Puerto Ricans.
You say it cuz of the DR is bigger than PR? It make sence for one part. But the things are getting rude in NY . Puerto Ricans are moving to other states.the second population I believe is not Dominicans or Puerto Ricans. It's all Mexico , plus people confuse the hondurans and Savador as Mexicans those are real big in Latin population in NewYork. The advantage that Puerto Rico is they don't need a green card to cross another state. Others can't really move in or out . Dominicans are big in one note, there island is bigger than Puerto Rico. But I say population between PR and DR in NY is almost even.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:32 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,205,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
You say it cuz of the DR is bigger than PR? It make sence for one part. But the things are getting rude in NY . Puerto Ricans are moving to other states.the second population I believe is not Dominicans or Puerto Ricans. It's all Mexico , plus people confuse the hondurans and Savador as Mexicans those are real big in Latin population in NewYork. The advantage that Puerto Rico is they don't need a green card to cross another state. Others can't really move in or out . Dominicans are big in one note, there island is bigger than Puerto Rico. But I say population between PR and DR in NY is almost even.
I mean in Miami.

Puerto Ricans are bigger in numbers in NYC.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:53 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,735,093 times
@ Doomdan thanks for the links to Sunset Park... I guess it does still have a Puerto Rican presence there and it does seem that it may have had a stronger population before... I guess I just never saw them there like I would in an area like Bushwick, Western Portions of Ridgewood, Cypress Hills, Southside Williamsburg, etc. It always seemed to be more mixed to me...

Also the pics do look a little bit like Knickerbocker but much cleaner...

Old 10-16-2011, 01:34 AM

594 posts, read 1,198,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This is the Cliff Notes version:

They have been here since the early 1900s and first settled in Brooklyn and Manhattan. There was a big migration in the 1950s which brought hundreds of thousands which settled across the city, and especially the Bronx. There was also a substantial population which settled in present day Lincoln Center, and this was the inspiration for the "West Side Story". The manufacturing sector's collapse in NYC around 1970 hit the population particularly hard as many were unskilled laborers and ultimately were not prepared for the changing economy. Unemployment skyrocketed, crime increased, and these communities failed on every level. What you really see today are the remnants of this economic and social collapse of the community...many of the ones remaining are the least capable, least educated...those who "didn't make it out."

Since that time they have migrated to cities throughout the east cost, and are now moving to suburban areas en masses, specifically Central Florida (Orlando area), and Pennsylvania. There are still quite a few remaining here, however the population is dwindling, as is their political power, as other Hispanic groups, especially Dominicans, are close to overtaking their numbers.

The new growth for the population is away from NYC and to Central Florida...where they are opening up businesses and exerting political influence. It is a major shift and one that will ultimately effect out national landscape as Florida is a swing state, and the more PR it becomes, the more likely it will swing Democratic and could tilt the race. Very interesting things happening with this population..major economic and political transformations are happening...

....as a native Floridian,I must say the NYRICANS have definitely changed Orlando....they are making it impossible for anyone else (black, white, whatever) to get a job....by inforcing "spanish-speaking" only requirements on even the most basic jobs.....moving into management and only hiring each other....this is not a racist comment at all, as I am black/white and get mistaken for a Puerto Rican all of the time, its a simple truth.....its forcing those of us who have been here for multiple generations to relocate. My mother has been out of work for two years because she dosent speak spanish, and I am forced to travel out of state for much of the year in order to survive....

Old 10-16-2011, 09:28 AM

14,821 posts, read 17,423,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
....as a native Floridian,I must say the NYRICANS have definitely changed Orlando....they are making it impossible for anyone else (black, white, whatever) to get a job....by inforcing "spanish-speaking" only requirements on even the most basic jobs.....moving into management and only hiring each other....this is not a racist comment at all, as I am black/white and get mistaken for a Puerto Rican all of the time, its a simple truth.....its forcing those of us who have been here for multiple generations to relocate. My mother has been out of work for two years because she dosent speak spanish, and I am forced to travel out of state for much of the year in order to survive....
Ha this phenomenon is not new to anywhere in this country. Here in NYC I met a Transplant from Texas who could not get a job in her native state due to so many out of towners moving to Texas gobbling up every job except for civic government job so she moved out and ended up in Manhattan and found a job in less then a month. Here in NYC much of the jobs in some industries are dominated by Transplants and not by New Yorkers except civic duties positions. Half my block in Mott Haven section of the Bronx has already relocated for central Florida and having the times of the lives and not going back to NYC since its dificult, the quality of life and expensive up here and also hard to find a decent job. THe same is also said for Allentown PA which is dominated by Ricans. I know a nother guy and at his Manhattan office he Rican and he is one of the last few Native New Yorkers left in that office, everyone else is from Yall and Hella Yeah parts of the country. My sisters friend found a job in Arizona after moving out of NYC in no time. I know another girl who is from NC a white girl and in that state so many New Yorkers worked at the office in Relaigh where she worked and she asked her employer to transfer her to a NYC office, at the NYC officer is mostly out of town white waspy Transplansts where she could relate and connect with. In this recession people are moving and looking out for thier own. I probably have a better chance of getting a job in Florida or NC compared to my hometowm of NYC. At my job I have this middle-age Cuban guy from Florida and his friend a hick like type of guy from Jacksonville that he hangs out with. They both left Florida for new careers here in NYC. IF I was you, you should move to NYC since you have a waspy last name mostly you probably will land a job in no time vs a Puerto Rican, or an Italian or a black person with a name like Tequan or Kamika. Lastly here in NYC there are courses to help unlearn NYC accent which will help natives land a job in no time. We have to conform to Transplants sensabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City