Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,866,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I was wondering which neighborhoods in Queens and LI have a substantial Puerto Rican population? I don't ever recall a large concentration in Queens -- seems to be more Dominicans, South Americans and Mexicans but maybe I'm wrong. No clue about where they are on the island.

Anyone know?
Most of the PRs in Queens are found in western Queens near Brooklyn. Astoria, Ridgewood, Glendale, Maspeth, Woodhaven, Ozone Park, and the Lindenwood section of Howard Beach. However, they aren't the majority in any of these areas by a long shot, unlike East Harlem, or the major PR hoods in Brooklyn or the Bronx.

I think so far Ridgewood and Woodhaven have the most PRs out of any neighborhood in Queens. Ridgewood borders Bushwick [one of the biggest PR hoods in the whole city] and Woodhaven borders Cypress Hills.

Last edited by DoomDan515; 03-29-2012 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,782,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Most of the PRs in Queens are found in western Queens near Brooklyn. Astoria, Ridgewood, Glendale, Maspeth, Woodhaven, Ozone Park, and the Lindenwood section of Howard Beach. However, they aren't the majority in any of these areas by a long shot, unlike East Harlem, or the major PR hoods in Brooklyn or the Bronx.

I think so far Ridgewood and Woodhaven have the most PRs out of any neighborhood in Queens. Ridgewood borders Bushwick [one of the biggest PR hoods in the whole city] and Woodhaven borders Cypress Hills.
Good answer... But the Puerto Rican population in Ridgewood is declining while the population in Glendale and Woodhaven continues to increase... I wouldn't be surprised if Puerto Ricans made up at least 20-25% of the population in Glendale and Woodhaven... In Glendale the vast majority of the hispanics that live there are Puerto Rican though the neighborhood is still majority white... In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Glendale passed Ridgewood in terms of the overall Puerto Rican population...

While there are still some cases where either Puerto Ricans from Bushwick or a random case of one actually coming from Puerto Rico moving into the neighborhood, majority of the neighborhood is Ecuadorian, Dominican and then I'd say Puerto Rican with a growing number of Mexicans as well (not counting the still large European and then asian population)...

Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,331,512 times
I was in Puerto Rico last month and just about everyone I met had lived here and moved back there, so that's another large migration out of the city. Very similar to African Americans moving back to the southeast.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,552,522 times
Interesting cause I've been wondering about the new migration out of Puerto Rico and I know Florida is a big destination for the migrants, but is a significant amount coming to NYC's traditional Puerto Rican hoods such as Bushwick, South BX, East Harlem, LES etc.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,087,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Good answer... But the Puerto Rican population in Ridgewood is declining while the population in Glendale and Woodhaven continues to increase... I wouldn't be surprised if Puerto Ricans made up at least 20-25% of the population in Glendale and Woodhaven... In Glendale the vast majority of the hispanics that live there are Puerto Rican though the neighborhood is still majority white... In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Glendale passed Ridgewood in terms of the overall Puerto Rican population...

While there are still some cases where either Puerto Ricans from Bushwick or a random case of one actually coming from Puerto Rico moving into the neighborhood, majority of the neighborhood is Ecuadorian, Dominican and then I'd say Puerto Rican with a growing number of Mexicans as well (not counting the still large European and then asian population)...
There is a site called socialexplorer.com where it breaks down the Hispanic populaton by origin. That's premium content, so you have to pay for it, but you can get it for free if you go to a university. I'm going tomorrow, so I'll see if I can get the exact numbers.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,591,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I was wondering which neighborhoods in Queens and LI have a substantial Puerto Rican population? I don't ever recall a large concentration in Queens -- seems to be more Dominicans, South Americans and Mexicans but maybe I'm wrong. No clue about where they are on the island.

Anyone know?
When I lived out in Suffolk County, I recall there were Puerto Ricans scattered along the South Shore. Some areas were Brentwood, Deer Park, Lindenhurst. I believe Hauppauge had some sections also.

When my grandparents came here from PR she settled in East NY. Probably why we all ended up growing up in Starrett.

The highest concentrations in Brooklyn now are probably Bushwick, Sunset Park and East NY along with Cypress Hills.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
When I lived out in Suffolk County, I recall there were Puerto Ricans scattered along the South Shore. Some areas were Brentwood, Deer Park, Lindenhurst. I believe Hauppauge had some sections also.

When my grandparents came here from PR she settled in East NY. Probably why we all ended up growing up in Starrett.

The highest concentrations in Brooklyn now are probably Bushwick, Sunset Park and East NY along with Cypress Hills.
Don't forget to add Southside to that list... It still has a very strong Puerto Rican and Dominican population over there... Hooper and Keap haven't changed much even with the hype...

Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Interesting cause I've been wondering about the new migration out of Puerto Rico and I know Florida is a big destination for the migrants, but is a significant amount coming to NYC's traditional Puerto Rican hoods such as Bushwick, South BX, East Harlem, LES etc.
I think the only Puerto Ricans you'll see moving into those areas now are second or third generation Puerto Ricans that either couldn't afford where they were currently living or moved out of worse hoods...

A couple of examples of this would be of a number of friends of mine from Ridgewood and Glendale that couldn't afford the rents in the area so they moved into Bushwick for cheaper rents... The opposite has also happened with Puerto Ricans from Bushwick moving into these areas as well because they have been priced out of their apartments from hipsters so it goes both ways...

In addition to this I have also first and second generation Puerto Ricans move into Bushwick from the Bronx because they felt that the area was slightly better than where they used to live...

In terms of Puerto Ricans that actually moved here from Puerto Rico, I'd say that number is very small but it does still happen... The thing is, the vast majority of the Puerto Ricans that come from Puerto Rico aren't broke like the first migration of Puerto Ricans so you won't see them moving into areas like Bushwick, East Harlem, Cypress Hills, etc. but to working middle class areas like Ridgewood, Glendale, or Woodhaven...

And to be fair, most of the Puerto Ricans from puerto Rico don't move over here anyways but rather to Florida... I remember when I went on a cruise leaving from puerto rico with family and friends... most of the puerto ricans on that cruise were FOB Puerto Ricans from Florida... You'll see one or two families move over here from time and time and I have seen them move into my neighborhood in recent years but the overall pop. is still either remaining stagnant or declining in my neighborhood...

Old 03-31-2012, 11:15 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,087,961 times
Just so everybody knows, there are practically no neighborhoods in NYC with a PR majority (because majority means the population is over 50%). There are some neighborhoods with a PR plurality (which means they are the largest group, but not over 50%)

Alright. I'm on the socialexplorer site right now. Ridgewood still has the higher Puerto Rican population, but it's not a huge difference.

In Glendale, north of Myrtle Avenue, the PR population is about 13-14%, with the numbers going down as you move further east. South of Myrtle Avenue, it's about 17-18%. There's a pocket by the eastern end of Cypress Avenue where the PR population is 30.1%, but I'm not sure whether that's Ridgewood or Glendale.

In Ridgewood, along Fresh Pond Road, the PR population is in the 11-13% range. Along the Brooklyn-Queens border, it's around 22-23%, and for the rest of the neighborhood, it's in the high teens (18-19%).

As far as other neighborhoods go, Cypress Hills is also in the high teens. For the rest of East NY, it gets lower as you go further south, but it picks up a little bit in Starrett City (the 2 census tracts have a PR population of 10.3% and 12.1%). Sunset Park is in the 20-25% range for the most part (this is only referring to the Hispanic parts, not "Brooklyn's Chinatown"). Mexicans actually outnumber them there, since it's in the 25-30% range (west of 3rd Avenue, it actually goes up to 35.9%)

Bushwick is in a similar situation, but the Mexican population is much smaller (in the single digits for the most part, except for a section west of Myrtle Avenue, going along Wilson Avenue)

The LES has a lot of Puerto Ricans living in the PJs along Avenue D (about 42%). Along Avenue B and C, it's in the 20% range.

In East Harlem, it's in the 30% range, with Mexicans being concentrated in a couple of pockets, but still outnumbered for the most part by PR. Southside Williamsburg is in the 20-25% range, with some Dominicans being concentrated along both sides of the BQE.

In The Bronx, the residential part of Throgs Neck is 34.5% PR. There are a lot in Soundview/Castle Hill (40% area). In the area on the other side of the Bruckner from Country Club (not sure of the name), it's around 20%. Along Pelham Parkway, it's in the 15% range, except immediately by WPR, where it's about 20%.

In the South Bronx east of Webster Avenue, it's in the 30-40% range. West of about Webster Avenue, Dominicans become the plurality (30-40% range). Actually, on the other side of the river, Dominicans are the majority of the population (the highest tract has a DR population of 67.5%). Of course, I'm referring to the Washington Heights/Inwood area. Hamilton Heights has a large DR population (around 35%), but it's not the majority like the areas to the north.

For Woodhaven, Queens, the PR population is about 13% or so, depending on the specific area. Dominicans actually have roughly the same sized population, give or take. South Americans actually outnumber them, being about 17-18% (though if you break it down by country, none of the countries surpasses PR or DR, and yes I know PR is a commonwealth, but you get the point).

Pretty much everywhere else in Queens (except for a few housing projects) is in the single-digits. There are a few in the South Jamaica and Queens Village areas, but nothing special. (Just a little over 5%)

And for my home borough, there is a decent-sized PR population (17-18%) in the Arlington/Mariners' Harbor/Elm Park area, and also in the St. George area (as well as the area by the Stapleton Houses)

And just about every housing project has a decent-sized (20%+) PR population.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,980,616 times
Checkmate, how recent are those numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City