Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,344 times

Advertisements

So, as all we city dwellers are probably noticing it's getting hot. In an attempt to live comfortably in my abode I've been trying to get my super to install my AC unit, but the going is slow. My lease outlines that I am not allowed to install this myself, but I've come across some major issues, primarily 1. My super not calling me back and 2. I can't be home during his normal hours.

A week ago today I got an unexpected (and incredibly unpleasant) day to work from home. I had some issues with my window falling out of the frame so, of course, called my super. He responded promptly and was there to fix it in about an hour. While he was here I asked him if there were any regulations about putting in my AC unit and after about 10 minuets of dancing around the question he finally told me that he had to do it and needed to get the brackets. I showed him the unit, he said he'd be back, I waited eight hours and never heard back. Since I was pissed I decided not to call him back as I would likely have been quite impolite. The next day he called, apologized, and said he could stop by then. I explained that I work in New Jersey from 7am to 6pm Monday through Friday and was unable to take time off at this point (especially for something so trivial) so he agreed to come by on the weekend since he felt bad and it was an easy job. Come Saturday I gave him a call. Waited around all day. Never heard anything. Same deal Sunday. It began to cool down, however, so I figured I'd give it some time. But now it's a week later and it's back up to the mid 80's outside. I managed to finagle a way to get home early today and the second I walked into the building I called him (I've been informed that he won't come by if I'm not home). He didn't answer. I left a message. Called back at the very end of his hours, no answer. I'm getting frustrated. I haven't been here long nor have I had this particular job that long, so I feel like my power is limited. However, as an asthmatic who responds quite poorly to heat and humidity I really need a way to stay cool so I can, ya know, breathe... and as someone who works 11 hours a day five days a week I REALLY need to keep at least somewhat comfortable at night so I can get some sleep every now and then. I have fans. Their effectiveness is minimal at best.

So, my question is this - what options do I have? My lease DIRECTLY outlines that I'm not allowed to install an AC unit. Are there any work arounds? Is there something I can leverage to coerce him into showing up? If I just go out and buy my own damn brackets is there anything that the property can do? This is such a simple task that I don't understand why it's become such an issue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 03:38 PM

69 posts, read 93,701 times
For those reading, you can pretty much skip the entire giant second paragraph and get the point succinctly.

I don't know if you have any legal precedent to install it yourself since you're asthmatic. I would keep calling your super and make sure they're aware of that. Maybe that will motivate him to install it.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:47 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I apologize for the rude earlier response.

It seems to me that perhaps at this point you call the landlord or managing agent. Say politely that you're trying to be a good resident and abide by the lease, but your super is being unresponsive, and you'd like their advice. Don't ***** and don't coerce, because that may backfire.

If he works S-S, then you're okay, but otherwise you'll either have to take off work or ask a friend to sit in for you. It's unusual that a super won't come while you're not home, but maybe it's for self-protection.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:05 PM

162 posts, read 181,179 times
Meechial:

You're over-thinking this.

1. Tell your super to come in while you're at work. The guy has a key to your place already. Who cares.

2. If you don't trust him, bribe him. My super's an alcoholic, so I use beer and Bacardi. Works like a charm.

3. I'm a DIY "rebel"... but that's a very risky solution. Installing even the smaller window units can lead to troubleshooting nightmares. My super knows I used to have his job title and the booze helps him look the other way.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:15 PM

81 posts, read 106,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Employable View Post
Meechial:

You're over-thinking this.

1. Tell your super to come in while you're at work. The guy has a key to your place already. Who cares.

2. If you don't trust him, bribe him. My super's an alcoholic, so I use beer and Bacardi. Works like a charm.

3. I'm a DIY "rebel"... but that's a very risky solution. Installing even the smaller window units can lead to troubleshooting nightmares. My super knows I used to have his job title and the booze helps him look the other way.

Hold on a second. You give your super alcohol so you can do his job for him?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:21 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Another option is to pay a company to do it. Like Through the Wall Air Conditioner Installation | Queens Window Air Conditioner Installation - Weston Bros Inc

Choose a company that is insured and whose business is air conditioning. It will cost you more than you probably want to pay, but I didn't see you mention that money is a problem, more so time and asthma.

So that's what I would do, find a properly insured a/c installing company and pay for it.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:25 PM

P.S. My building is a coop and we were required to install properly using the right kind of brackets. I don't remember a prohibition against doing it ourselves, but I think if we hired someone, we had to make sure that person was properly insured. We were NOT allowed to hire the super, supposedly because since he was an employee of the corporation (the coop), it was somehow a conflict of interest.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:27 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Another option is to pay a company to do it. Like Through the Wall Air Conditioner Installation | Queens Window Air Conditioner Installation - Weston Bros Inc

Choose a company that is insured and whose business is air conditioning. It will cost you more than you probably want to pay, but I didn't see you mention that money is a problem, more so time and asthma.

So that's what I would do, find a properly insured a/c installing company and pay for it.
Have you used these guys before? Thinking about going ductless myself.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Have you used these guys before? Thinking about going ductless myself.
Yes, I did. All they did was install my window a/c and they were fine, although they were not very neat with applying the caulk around the window frame. See if they have any reviews on Yelp. They charged a lot, but I think all these companies charge what seems like "too much."

I also found this article that lists a few other companies like this. SUMMER’S COMING: HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW AS A/C SEASON NEARS

Old 05-19-2015, 07:10 PM

They do have some reviews on Yelp. My rule of thumb is to ignore any reviews made by a reviewer who has written 5 or fewer reviews on Yelp because they might be fakes. So using that, you'll have to ignore about half the reviews. Weston Bros., Inc. - Heating & Air Conditioning/HVAC - Forest Hills - Forest Hills, NY - Reviews - Photos - Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: