U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 AM

902 posts, read 1,971,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
What speed are you getting...Time Warner offers several?
For 5 or more Gbps $29.99 it is a terrific deal...for .75 Gbps or even 1.5Gbps (too slow for tolerable movie streaming) not so good.

So what will you do for television? Over the air with a window antenna?

I plan to do what Ups said. I don't care that I'll have to wait to see some programming, the only thing I'll miss is seeing some of the football games depending on the area but you can even see some of them on the net too!

I also plan to do a lot of reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Everyone is saying ROKU. I'm not sure it's necessary to mention, but I will in case someone doesn't know, that a newer Blu-Ray player has the same functionality as a ROKU box for internet streaming (Netflix, Hulu, You-Tube, etc.) that a ROKU box has with the added functionality of being able to play discs.
And they are under $100 these days unless you want Wireless, 3-D capability...an ethernet cable is fine for me.

I'm good though early 2013 with a $90 FIOS deal (fast internet, Ultimate TV, digital phone, MR-DVR) but I guess when the deal runs out I may hve to make some cost cutting choices if they try to double the bill.

SONS OF ANARCHY tonight...it will be my first episode but a friend has been talking it up.

Upson,
What does Verizon charge for JUST a 15 Mbps internet connection?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 AM

1,413 posts, read 4,673,300 times
Kefir, I don't have Verizon. Was that Luv?

The only reason I have a Roku is I already had a DVD player and found a cheap Roku on Craig's after Christmas a few years back. (I never buy new when used will do. It's the only way to afford life in NYC for us. Ha.)

Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 AM

292 posts, read 595,316 times
I had to dump Verizon because of the horrible customer service. Hours on hold every time, repeated loss of payments leading to unwarranted interruptions of service..then taking months and months to resolve my account because of their errors --I will never sign up with Verizon in any way again.

I signed up with Clear, which I am not entirely happy with..when the weather is good, the service is ok, media streams and loads pretty fast, but it is pretty expensive for a service that starts to waver when a rainstorm comes through (it is wireless and works through towers.)

Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,912 times
Default 11 year old computer system??????

dude, u should not just change more RAM, video card or processor... u should buy a brand new one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Verizon FIOS is terrific (16-20 Mbps) but Verizon DSL (1.5Mbps) was just too slow for a tolerable streaming experience, usually Netflix Watch instantly. I had no choice but the DSL for 5 years and it just kept getting more and more inadequate.
This last year
with FIOS has been a joy, but it has exposed weakness in my 11 year old computer system...which really needs replacement for much more RAM, a faster video card, and a better processor.

I sympathize with the people in the boonies who are still stuck with DIAL UP (at .05 Mbps.) Yes, it still exists. I don't know how they can tolerate anything except e-mail.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM

30,316 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
Does one really have a choice? Isn't one's provider determined by one's building? In my case, I asked an older occupant which one she used, and she said TWC, so I signed up with them, and so far it's been working out OK, for $29.99 a month. Is that a reasonable price? Are there better deals? And if there are, can one easily switch, or is there a choice at all (see my comment above)?
That is true sometimes. I have TWC because that was the only internet provider available in my bldg. when I started with them. A few years ago, my bldg. was also wired for RCN. So now that fact can be used when there are issues with TWC as it is easy to make them aware that they can lose customers if they don't provide good service (as there is now another option).

Old 01-11-2013, 04:34 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,194,177 times
I've had RCN since I moved into my building a couple of years ago.

They're cheap and reliable. $30 a month gets me 15mbps down and 5mbps up, and I've never had a service interruption or had to call customer service one single time.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:00 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,096,712 times
Bumping this thread to ask if anyone can directly compare Time Warner with Optimum Online, especially if you live in the Kensington/Flatbush region or anywhere in central Brooklyn. Pros, cons? Only need internet, not TV.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM

278 posts, read 601,954 times
I don't understand why Verizon Fios is taking so long to get into the neighborhoods. TWC seems to have a monopoly in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City