Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 AM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times

Advertisements

Who do you use for Internet? Love them? Hate them?

I've been with Verizon for a year now and in addition to being horribly slow, it goes out intermittently and now they're telling me that they're going to raise my rate by about $10 over the next few months.

So now I'm shopping around, but not sure if there's anyone better. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
I love Verizon and have not had any issues with them. I previously had Time Warner Cable (Roadrunner) and it was HORRIBLE.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
The question should be, which ISP is the least evil? I've actually been happy with my Verizon FIOS service (as opposed to the sucky Verizon non-FIOS service). They are fast but you have to pay more for the higher speeds. The downside is that they will install a huge junction box in your apartment.

I had TWC and had frequent issues. The internet would cut out at least 4 times a year and calling them for service was always a miserable frustrating experience. That and they are over priced for what you get. FIOS has been about 30% cheaper for the same services and faster internet for me.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 PM

439 posts, read 895,971 times
I always used Cablevision's Optimum Online and I find the service to be alright IMO. My service cuts out every couple of months, but who's doesn't? The speeds are alright at the base rate at 15 down and 2 up. If you can stomach Cablevision constantly raising their cable tv rates every year (and not many can), then give it a shot.
At least their Optimum Online rates stay pretty consistant as the years go by...

P.S. Is price a factor in what service provider you're looking for?

EDIT: Oops!!! I see you're from Manhattan. Well, I guess my post should apply to people that have Cablevision as their provider then.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:31 PM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
The question should be, which ISP is the least evil? I've actually been happy with my Verizon FIOS service (as opposed to the sucky Verizon non-FIOS service). They are fast but you have to pay more for the higher speeds. The downside is that they will install a huge junction box in your apartment.
FIOS isn't available in my neighborhood yet. My parents (outside of NYC) have had it for years now and had no problems, so I'd definitely switch to it in a heartbeat if it were available.

Looks like they may, in fact, be the least evil though!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
FIOS isn't available in my neighborhood yet. My parents (outside of NYC) have had it for years now and had no problems, so I'd definitely switch to it in a heartbeat if it were available.

Looks like they may, in fact, be the least evil though!
If you live in the West Village it's most likely available on your block. Verizon probably hasn't negotiated an agreement with the owner of your building, coop board, or condo board to wire the building.

The Fios service is great, fast and reliable internet, and the picture quality is fantastic. Wish I could say the same about Verizon's customer service.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Verizon FIOS is terrific (16-20 Mbps) but Verizon DSL (1.5Mbps) was just too slow for a tolerable streaming experience, usually Netflix Watch instantly. I had no choice but the DSL for 5 years and it just kept getting more and more inadequate.
This last year
with FIOS has been a joy, but it has exposed weakness in my 11 year old computer system...which really needs replacement for much more RAM, a faster video card, and a better processor.

I sympathize with the people in the boonies who are still stuck with DIAL UP (at .05 Mbps.) Yes, it still exists. I don't know how they can tolerate anything except e-mail.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:05 AM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
I switched my triple play from Cablevision to Verizon FIOS.
The internet (and whole package) is awesome. I would agree their customer service does leave a bit to be desired. The speed is super fast

Old 10-05-2011, 11:09 AM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
I currently have Optimum Triple Play and I'm paying entirely too much for all this crap.

Beginning of the new year I'm turning off Optimum using only my cell phone service and getting some type of internet connection service.

Anyone has Clear internet service? They keep sending advertisements but I thought the price is kinda high just as an add on service with all the other I got but I will consider it once I cancel Optimum. Either I'll go this route for my internet service or go through one of the cell phone carriers like AT&T, my cell phone provider.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
We've been using Clear for just over a month and really like it. We do a lot of streaming on our Roku and it is very reliable. Previously, we used Earthlink through TWC. Earthlink was amazing, but the old TWC set-up of lines in our pre-war building was the worst. Heavy winds would knock out the lines frequently and I would have to deal with TWC customer service for repairs - the worst.

However, Clear is a bit slower than Earthlink (I only notice when I have multiple tabs open on my browser) and if we were in a cable-ready building, I would consider switching back. Then again, not having to wait for the cable guy ever again is awesome and we've made a good trade of reliability for speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City