U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:57 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,781,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It varies by museum and telly the only "suggested admission" on the East Side is the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

MOMA is PAY $25...they just bumped it up from $20, but they will take corprate ID. The Guggenheim is also a set price but they'll take ID. Jewish Museum will take nothing but a fixed price, but they're free on Saturdays.

Cooper-Hewitt...admission only, no corporate.

J.P. Morgan Museum...admission only, no more corporate.

New York Academy of Art...free. (Hooray)

Neue Galley...admission only, no corporate but FREE first Friday of the month.

As far as I know, the only "pay what you wish" every day on the East side is the MET!
But the FRICK is pwyw on Sundays.

I think that the Natural History Museum's policy of "pay what you wish" for basic admission, no frills, is something new.
I distinctly remember that nothing worked unless you got an annual teaser for membership that was good for one visit to "look around." I knew someone who worked there who sent me the occasional pass.

(Gee, with all this talk I guess I'll go over one day next week, it's been several years.)

Botanic Garden in Brooklyn is a set fee and no corporate...a free day for seniors.
NY Botannical Garden in Bronx is very happy with corporate ID...4 people.
Neither is pwyw.

Brooklyn Museum is both pwyw and they happily take corporate ID.
Good summary, Kefir King!

Call me weird, but I bought a Met membership and recently upgraded it, even thought I can get in for free with my work or school ID.

Why, because I like being a member. I like knowing that I am contributing even in small way. I like getting their mail, I like the Gift Shop discount and Member's Dining Room discounts (limited time on those).

Anyone who can only pay a little should not feel guilty. You will give whatever and whenever you can -- just show up to see ART and enjoy! Also at AMNH -- you are there to see science, and that's awesome! Don't worry so much. Enjoy the fact that you are in NY and this embarrassment of riches is available to you. (I also love it when museums are crowded -- all these people care about art/science!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:39 PM

9 posts, read 15,648 times
Don't waste your money buying a membership I know from staff working there the suggested donation is $19 and yes, you can pay a penny BUT this is one method is 1000000% gurantee is to get a Comp super saver for all the special events and shows! What you to do is after you buy the ticket demand to see a superviser/manager preferbly at another location and be ready with a made up a story like a Vistor Service rep had made a derogatory,racist, MOST unPC stuff must make it juicy and don't forget to embellish with rep using obscenties too! It will work because AMNH museum has a policy and sticks to a "Customer/Guest is ALWAYS RIGHT= they must must must must must make them happy and no they don't ever believe the reps because they are considered to be "disposable" staff and easily replaced so one week it's VSR. X next VSR Y then Z. Also they have thousands of people who come everyday soo you can get away with it because the sups/managers are in diffrent zones of the museum and the VS office is very very far away so you have extra time to come up with a complaint and if you play up a really good sob story you can earn your a free membership too.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 AM

20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpan View Post
Don't waste your money buying a membership I know from staff working there the suggested donation is $19 and yes, you can pay a penny BUT this is one method is 1000000% gurantee is to get a Comp super saver for all the special events and shows! What you to do is after you buy the ticket demand to see a superviser/manager preferbly at another location and be ready with a made up a story like a Vistor Service rep had made a derogatory,racist, MOST unPC stuff must make it juicy and don't forget to embellish with rep using obscenties too! It will work because AMNH museum has a policy and sticks to a "Customer/Guest is ALWAYS RIGHT= they must must must must must make them happy and no they don't ever believe the reps because they are considered to be "disposable" staff and easily replaced so one week it's VSR. X next VSR Y then Z. Also they have thousands of people who come everyday soo you can get away with it because the sups/managers are in diffrent zones of the museum and the VS office is very very far away so you have extra time to come up with a complaint and if you play up a really good sob story you can earn your a free membership too.

It sounds a lot easier to pay what you wish. Who wants to "steal" what is basically a charitable contribution like a museum membershiip?

In reality, if I could afford it, I would become a member of every place I like to visit, non-profit theaters included. But I am not a Vandebilt, a Whitney, a Wharton, or a Trump, so I cannot afford 200 memberships.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:31 PM

204 posts, read 607,305 times
Quote:
Really? Scamming a museum. Pathetic.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,781,126 times
Quote:
Yeah, Kefir King and Man U.

I can't even begin to say how much I disrespect the post above.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 15,648 times
So what are you guys going to do? I didn't make the policy are you going to contact Ellen Futter the president of AMNH and Brad Harris the Senior Director of Visitor Services? Did you also know that you can even pretend that you have a lapsed membership at the museum and the supervisors/managers will get you what you want if you don't want to go to the membership line? My friend and her co-workers get written up for any lie and are insulted by general public tools. Did you know that most of the staff are made up of minorities? they have 2 white guys work as sups and they HAVE to agree to the "Customer is always right" policy and allow the staff to be treated poorlyand that includes make the girls cry calling them b--ch etc for a freebie. I heard one guy got a black eye when a "guest" threw a display sign in his face, no security intervention, no police report.
of couse the "guest" was given the red carpet treatment.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 PM

204 posts, read 607,305 times
Quote:
So what are you guys going to do? I didn't make the policy are you going to contact Ellen Futter the president of AMNH and Brad Harris the Senior Director of Visitor Services? Did you also know that you can even pretend that you have a lapsed membership at the museum and the supervisors/managers will get you what you want if you don't want to go to the membership line? My friend and her co-workers get written up for any lie and are insulted by general public tools. Did you know that most of the staff are made up of minorities? they have 2 white guys work as sups and they HAVE to agree to the "Customer is always right" policy and allow the staff to be treated poorlyand that includes make the girls cry calling them b--ch etc for a freebie. I heard one guy got a black eye when a "guest" threw a display sign in his face, no security intervention, no police report.
of couse the "guest" was given the red carpet treatment.

The problem isn't that the museum assumes the guest is always right. The problem is that there are people like you who'll lie and scream "I've been oppressed" to get handouts. People like you are a parasite.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:27 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,674,968 times
We were at AMNH yesterday and it mad me sad to see a family turned away from the live butterfly because they had not upgraded. I understand the museum needs special exhibits to increase revenue, but if I read the fine print correctly, you have to pay an additional 20-odd bucks per person to see the butterflies if you give less than the suggested donation. That is a lot of money for 15 minutes.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:40 PM

20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
I did the butterflies LONG ago on a freebie.
It's cute, but no, it's not worth anything like 20 bucks extra.

I had no idea they were going to make it a permanent installation.

(I like the GEMS the best.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City