U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM
 
2,079 posts, read 3,241,746 times
Reputation: 1552

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I forgot which channel, but there was a news story on this. Many blacks living in the northeast are moving back to the south for a number of reasons:

1) They fled the south to get away from the racism there, nowadays the south is not the same place and race relations are much better.

2) Cost of living, taxes, etc. The northeast is very cost prohibitive in terms of real estate price and sodomizing tax rates.

3) They miss the south, it's home. They moved to the northeast begrudgingly. Now that the problems they fled are no longer an issue, there's not much incentive to remain in the northeast.

Yes, blacks are moving back to their family towns and areas in the South, but I fear that the Southern places like the Carolinas are going to get too crowded with the whites all going there, too. The infrastructure: Can it handle all of these new people? Is the population growing too fast down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 PM
 
2,079 posts, read 3,241,746 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer71 View Post
Colorado...

Lower cost of living, 300 days of sun, 45 minutes to actual spectacular Mountains, decent restaurants, less crowded, nicer folks, much less of that "keeping up with the joneses" mentality so prevalent in the Northeast, sunny dry summer days and cool nights, etc...I've lived in both NYC and Philly, and you can have them both. Time to rediscover my inner Mountain-Man haha!!
300 days of sun? Is there a water shortage? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Bronx
14,890 posts, read 17,458,236 times
Reputation: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Yes, blacks are moving back to their family towns and areas in the South, but I fear that the Southern places like the Carolinas are going to get too crowded with the whites all going there, too. The infrastructure: Can it handle all of these new people? Is the population growing too fast down there?
Hmm, this explains the drop in crime in NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 PM
 
87 posts, read 215,330 times
Reputation: 70
Martha Anne,

Most of the resevoirs supplying greater Denver with water are located in the mountains. Because the mountains usually get pounded with snow during winter, water shortages aren't a major concern. There has been some mild rationing recently, according to some friends of mine, but nothing major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,910 posts, read 6,494,962 times
Reputation: 7103
Pop on over to the Colorado forum if you want to read about water issues. I lived in Colorado for 4 years. Unfortunately, the cities of the front range are a water crisis powder-keg waiting to explode. I'd love to move back at some point but I don't know if I could move that far away from family again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
 
11 posts, read 17,213 times
Reputation: 23
I'm very surprised when I hear people say they want to live in NYC. All I can imagine are people thinking they will live a "Sex and the City" lifestyle when in reality NYers are: overworked, overtaxed, overstressed, covered in pollution/pee fumes, bitter, cold, always late to something, etc.

There's nothing glorious about NYC except jobs, entertainment and "culture". I can easily live without the latter two, especially since they come paired with an exorbitant cost and low quality of life.

Any time someone from the south, mid-west or basically any other place in the country tells me they want to live in NYC, I ask them if they really want to leave their 5BR house to live in a 450 sq ft studio of the same price.

Get me out of here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 02:46 PM
 
5,664 posts, read 3,208,198 times
Reputation: 6647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabarr View Post
I'm very surprised when I hear people say they want to live in NYC. All I can imagine are people thinking they will live a "Sex and the City" lifestyle when in reality NYers are: overworked, overtaxed, overstressed, covered in pollution/pee fumes, bitter, cold, always late to something, etc.

There's nothing glorious about NYC except jobs, entertainment and "culture". I can easily live without the latter two, especially since they come paired with an exorbitant cost and low quality of life.

Any time someone from the south, mid-west or basically any other place in the country tells me they want to live in NYC, I ask them if they really want to leave their 5BR house to live in a 450 sq ft studio of the same price.

Get me out of here!
Anytime I meet somebody on a plane when I am traveling back and forth from Florida, I tell them DON'T move to Florida from NY. LIVING in "paradise" year round is nothing like VACATIONING in Florida. They seem stunned, but to a person, they all tell me, "Thank you".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 PM
 
Location: The United States of Amnesia
1,362 posts, read 1,492,805 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Anytime I meet somebody on a plane when I am traveling back and forth from Florida, I tell them DON'T move to Florida from NY. LIVING in "paradise" year round is nothing like VACATIONING in Florida. They seem stunned, but to a person, they all tell me, "Thank you".
What are the issues in Florida vs NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 03:09 PM
 
11 posts, read 17,213 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Anytime I meet somebody on a plane when I am traveling back and forth from Florida, I tell them DON'T move to Florida from NY. LIVING in "paradise" year round is nothing like VACATIONING in Florida. They seem stunned, but to a person, they all tell me, "Thank you".
That's exactly how I feel about NYC. Manhattan is a *fantastic* place to visit once in a while and take advantage of the experiences it offers.

I've eaten at more high end restaurants than I can count (and probably spent enough over the years to have paid for a vacation to Bora Bora), seen more than a dozen Broadway shows, participated in several bizarre yet free NYC events, etc. It's fun for a while, but it's extremely costly to maintain that kind of life and loses the specialness of it all after a year.

I would rather live somewhere with a better quality of life and travel occasionally to interesting places, such as Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM
 
1,494 posts, read 2,261,938 times
Reputation: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
What are the issues in Florida vs NYC?
Lack of cultural and intellectual offerings, really crummy weather 6 months out of the year, and pretty much artistically dead. Whenever I visit mom in Floriduh I feel like hanging myself. Other that, it has nice beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top