U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 PM

69 posts, read 190,924 times

Advertisements

I am just curious, coming from a Southerner who might be moving to the NYC area (Orangeburg) if my husband lands a job, should we think long and hard about the possibility? I am so concerned about trading what we have here in the South for what you've described. We have a 15 year old daughter that would, of course, move with us, so that adds to the worries I have. My heart tells me to stay put right where we are, but I'm not sure if that's an option. The South is all I've ever known.

I have a couple of places I could suggest moving to. One is Savannah, GA...talk about BEAUTIFUL! The other is Charleston, SC...another gorgeous place that oozes Southern charm and hospitality. A third favorite is Beaufort, SC...nice and laid back. Can you tell I favor the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 06:01 PM

8,609 posts, read 7,041,928 times
If you like stress, dealing with a ridiculous cost of living, taxes on everything, being told what is right for you, and feeling like a sardine everywhere you go, then you will love it here!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:26 PM

643 posts, read 1,770,758 times
I've always been a city person and doubt I'll ever move, but you never know. In my limited time there, I loved Seattle. Maybe it was the friends I was with, but I truly enjoyed the city. Of course that was five days, so who knows if I'd like living there 365 days a year.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 PM

66 posts, read 154,650 times
Philadelphia. Cheaper, but still metropolitan

Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 PM

643 posts, read 1,770,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raecino View Post
Philadelphia. Cheaper, but still metropolitan
Good call on Philadelphia.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:39 PM

140 posts, read 98,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwoman9 View Post
I'm a native New Yorker who moved to Los Angeles for a couple years and couldn't stand it but thought New York was too crazy and too dirty so I moved to New Mexico and it's way to slow for me. I think if you have kids moving away from the city is probably a smart move BUT if you are single and like to keep busy, moving to a place that is slow will eventually drive you nuts. Yes, the city is crazy but maybe you just need a vacation from it because after you've lived in NYC it's really hard to live anywhere else. Yes, I have issues about living in the city, like how dirty it is but there is always stuff to do and interesting people to meet. Unless you move to Chicago, it's going to be hard to find a place like it.
The key is relocating to a place that has a relatively large city and amenities/culture nearby. I was born in NYC and raised in LI, NY. I attended college outside of NY and relocated back to NY (Manhattan to accept a job offer), after completing my studies.

I lived in the heart of Manhattan for 7.5 years after college. While in Manhattan, I worked full time and attended graduate school at NYU. Needless to say, I was definitely immersed in the culture of NYC. NYU offers its students great discounts on plays and broadway shows; I definitely took full advantage. Also, on the weekends, I was an avid jogger in central park, (I know the park like the back of my hand) and I frequented a lot of the various restaurants in the city.

I really enjoyed the city, but I was tired of the pollution, negative attitudes, small apartment living (with no closet space for my shoes), lack of parking options, etc. Therefore, I decided to take the leap. Two months after graduating, I landed a great job in D.C. and opted to live a few miles outside of D.C., in Northern, VA.

I love my community. I use the metro to commute to work (it takes me only 15 minutes or so) and I reside in a lovely condo with a rooftop pool, stainless steel GE kitchen appliances, walk in closets, a washer/dryer inside my condo, and a parking space on the same floor as my unit! I'm presently renting now, but I am getting ready to purchase my own home. As a young single woman, I wouldn't be able to afford a nice home in NYC or the LI suburbs, (even with my current great salary).

Anyhow, the best part is, I have easy access to visit friends/family in NY (without even driving). There's an amtrak train station a few blocks away. Typically it takes around 4-5 hours to reach Penn Station by train. When I'm feeling really impatient however, I can just book a flight to NY and arrive at JFK in under 45 minutes.

Again, the key for native single/young New Yorkers that are looking to successfully transition to a new place is to take it slow. Don't try to relocate to the middle of nowhere. Find a place that's not too far from a city with vibrant culture/entertainment. Also, consider public transportation access, and airport accessibility.

I'm elated to be out of NYC. I have a great profession/job with high earnings. In NYC, I could never live on the same level and enjoy a similar quality of life.

Good luck to all of you in your quest for better living!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,330,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxie64 View Post
I am just curious, coming from a Southerner who might be moving to the NYC area (Orangeburg) if my husband lands a job, should we think long and hard about the possibility? I am so concerned about trading what we have here in the South for what you've described. We have a 15 year old daughter that would, of course, move with us, so that adds to the worries I have. My heart tells me to stay put right where we are, but I'm not sure if that's an option. The South is all I've ever known.

I have a couple of places I could suggest moving to. One is Savannah, GA...talk about BEAUTIFUL! The other is Charleston, SC...another gorgeous place that oozes Southern charm and hospitality. A third favorite is Beaufort, SC...nice and laid back. Can you tell I favor the South?
Orangeburg is not the same as NYC, not as hectic or crowded. Taxes will be higher than the south, property smaller, cost of living higher, but not as bad as the city itself. If you don't have a choice but to move I think your kid will adjust OK. The suburbs are easier to transition into as opposed to the city.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 PM

79 posts, read 338,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
The key is relocating to a place that has a relatively large city and amenities/culture nearby. I was born in NYC and raised in LI, NY. I attended college outside of NY and relocated back to NY (Manhattan to accept a job offer), after completing my studies.

I lived in the heart of Manhattan for 7.5 years after college. While in Manhattan, I worked full time and attended graduate school at NYU. Needless to say, I was definitely immersed in the culture of NYC. NYU offers its students great discounts on plays and broadway shows; I definitely took full advantage. Also, on the weekends, I was an avid jogger in central park, (I know the park like the back of my hand) and I frequented a lot of the various restaurants in the city.

I really enjoyed the city, but I was tired of the pollution, negative attitudes, small apartment living (with no closet space for my shoes), lack of parking options, etc. Therefore, I decided to take the leap. Two months after graduating, I landed a great job in D.C. and opted to live a few miles outside of D.C., in Northern, VA.

I love my community. I use the metro to commute to work (it takes me only 15 minutes or so) and I reside in a lovely condo with a rooftop pool, stainless steel GE kitchen appliances, walk in closets, a washer/dryer inside my condo, and a parking space on the same floor as my unit! I'm presently renting now, but I am getting ready to purchase my own home. As a young single woman, I wouldn't be able to afford a nice home in NYC or the LI suburbs, (even with my current great salary).

Anyhow, the best part is, I have easy access to visit friends/family in NY (without even driving). There's an amtrak train station a few blocks away. Typically it takes around 4-5 hours to reach Penn Station by train. When I'm feeling really impatient however, I can just book a flight to NY and arrive at JFK in under 45 minutes.

Again, the key for native single/young New Yorkers that are looking to successfully transition to a new place is to take it slow. Don't try to relocate to the middle of nowhere. Find a place that's not too far from a city with vibrant culture/entertainment. Also, consider public transportation access, and airport accessibility.

I'm elated to be out of NYC. I have a great profession/job with high earnings. In NYC, I could never live on the same level and enjoy a similar quality of life.

Good luck to all of you in your quest for better living!

Hi lisa,
Im the original poster and the one still ratting in nyc...
May i ask you: you dont miss the fast-paced life?

How were you able to adapt your social/personal life
in such smaller place?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 PM

5,545 posts, read 1,805,166 times
I was on hiatus from C-D for about half a year, and have recently been lurking. I was compelled to login just to reply to this thread.

I am so sick of this city, and will be leaving in less than two years to go back to my hometown (I'm originally from Dallas, where I lived all my life prior to moving to NYC), which I am thrilled about. NYC is a very nasty, cold, frustrating, and extremely challenging city to live in. I cannot wait to get out of this God-forsaken hell hole.

New York City is an absolute dystopia, and it has the worst quality of life in the entire U.S. I have lived here for almost ten years. Every time I went on vacation, I found myself fantasizing about moving to wherever I went, whether it was Florida, Hawaii, California, the Pacific Northwest, the South, the Southwest, Europe, or anywhere else. When it comes to U.S. locations, as long as place isn’t too ridden with crime (and maybe even if it is), it’s all better than living in New York City.

In NYC, being nice is considered a fault of some sort, or something that demands repayment. I can't even explain a lot of typical situations I encountered everyday to relatives back home without shocking and disturbing them. I have gained several stress-related conditions while living here (anxiety, high blood pressure), and they all completely developed during my time living in NYC. New Yorkers on the whole (NOT all New Yorkers are cold and nasty -- there are certainly some nice ones) are some of the rudest, coldest, nastiest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of encountering.

The food is terrific, though, and it is the only thing that I will miss when I leave. A lot of restaurants are very unsanitary, however. Everyone I knew here frequently came down with food poisoning immediately after eating at restaurants of all kinds. Speaking of illnesses, colds, coughs, and flus spread like the plague in NYC, and you usually can’t avoid getting coughed or sneezed on a typical winter day. I always maintain good health and hygiene, but due to other people's complete disregard and general inconsiderateness for others (sneezing/coughing without covering their mouth), I got sick 4 separate times last year.

The weather is also terrible here. In the summer, it is extremely hot and humid, which produces sweat while you're waiting down in the stifling (and very smelly) subway stations, with temperatures in excess of 100+ degrees. It rains a LOT here. Then, in the winter, it snows for long periods and can get very cold. If you enjoy these extremes in weather, then I can understand that. It is somewhat subjective and one person may have a different preference in weather.

Also, the transportation system (MTA) is pathetic. It's open 24/7 and does reach most of the city, which is nice, but it's infested with rats, roaches, homeless, disgusting smells (including human waste, which is very disturbing), litter, dirt, dust, rust, and TOXIC BLACK MOLD (next time you're in a subway station, look up - there's most likely toxic black mold growing -- this toxic black mold has adverse health hazards). The subway system is over 100 years old, so the MTA constantly has to do repairs everyday and on weekends just to try and keep up and keep the system from literally falling apart (even though they're failing miserably with the abysmal conditions of the subway system). Delays are the norm on the trains, and being crammed into the train and having to stand for your entire commute while being squished with tons of other people is not fun.

It's extremely challenging to live in NYC, even doing basic things like laundry (hauling everything to the laundromat or down to your building's basement laundry room if you have one), or grocery shopping (carrying tons of bags, or using one of those silly carts that you see everyone pushing around). If you have a car, it's easier. However, if you live in a walk-up building and you live on a high floor, it gets old very fast. Also, things like dishwashers, washers, and dryers are considered luxury appliances, and are very rare to have here (even in million dollar apartments), whereas in the rest of the country, they're very commonly found in homes. (Then again, if you're rich and you live in NYC, or anywhere for that matter, life will always be much easier for you.)

Let's not forget about how absurdly expensive it is to live in NYC. Everything from monthly rent/mortgage to groceries is much more expensive here. The rent prices here are insane, and further emphasize the wealth disparity between the rich and the poor in NYC. Also, NYC has the highest combined city and state tax rates anywhere in the country. Groceries are also way overpriced, from a gallon of milk averaging $4-6 (!), and a box of cereal averaging $5-10 (!!!!). I've never understood why CEREAL is so expensive in NYC compared to other parts of the country. Take a look at cereal prices next time you go to your local grocery store and you'll see what I mean. I even shop at a crappy, pathetic excuse of a grocery store (C-Town) and I live in Queens (not Manhattan, where grocery prices are even MORE expensive), and cereal prices range from $5-10. It's completely absurd.

I feel bad for New Yorkers who have never been anywhere else. Living in NYC made me see the U.S. in a whole new way. There are so very many great places to live in this country, and people in those places don’t realize how good they have it. It’s weird, ever since I've lived in NYC, there have been certain negative emotions that I just don’t feel anywhere else (panic, rage, etc.), and certain positive ones that I just haven't ever felt here in NYC (serenity, relaxation, etc.). You can see exhaustion on other people's faces who live here and experience these same challenges everyday (look around next time you're on the train or out in public, and you'll see the locals who appear exhausted and overworked), not knowing that the grass truly is greener on the other side.

To those who want to leave: It’s easier than you think, and you’ll be happier (and wiser) in your new location.

To born and bred New Yorkers: I know it’s painful to hear this, but life really is a lot easier outside NYC. Get out there and find out for yourself. You can afford an entire HOUSE with a nice big front and back yard, garage, washer/dryer/dishwasher, safe community, wonderful neighbors, etc for under $200,000 (in Dallas, for example - there are many other cities around the nation that fit this description) -- your ENTIRE monthly mortgage payment would be less than the astronomical monthly rent that one pays to live in NYC! Do the math!

To people who really do love New York: I can’t relate to you. I just don’t get it, and I’ve really tried.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 PM

4,841 posts, read 8,201,556 times
I agree with the last post 100%.

America really is a beautiful country once you leave this city. I'll never forget that feeling I got when I first went to Vermont and Pennsylvania a few years ago. Felt like I was in heaven....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City