U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2012, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Harlem World
555 posts, read 1,031,329 times
Reputation: 306

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
^So LA doesn't have racism the way NY does? I guess the Rodney King Riots and the black and brown conflicts and killings were just public disturbances....

You're right, there is some racist b.s. here, but ethnocentrism here is because of dense immigrant communities that rely on each other as a network. It serves as a function to help each other out, not to exclude people. But I can safely say, as a black person I can walk through any NY neighborhood without getting attacked because of my color or ethnicity. I've been told the same doesn't hold true for LA.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

"Oh, ok. I left ny to live in Venice beach... Found la so wonderful and god, did it feel good. The weather is like wearing a cashmere sweater all the time. I also loved that as a half Asian person in ca I was just part of the scene(ery)... So much diversity and yet people are just American out there. One big problem I had w ny was how pigeonholed the vast majority of people were within their own ethnic group... Hyperconscious ethnocentrism... Flags of all kinds representing home-country pride... It made it feel very checker-boarded and hard to cross boundaries... I was definitely called a white B@!'on one occasion and an Asian b on another... Why not just a B??? I guess looking back on my 12 years there that was truly my biggest gripe- so much distrust among people essentially along racial/ ethnic lines... "

This is one of the reason I despise so cal...lol....so it can happen on either coast

I am with you 1000000%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Harlem World
555 posts, read 1,031,329 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Yeah back in the late 80's and don't forget Crown Heights in '91. But aside from police brutality, I can't think of a recent NYC incident that is comparable to things in recent LA history, the Mexican Mafia actually decreeing the purging of blacks from their neighborhoods which resulted in the killing of innocent people, even young children and not by accident. Black gangs in Compton who killed an older Mexican man in his car setting the whole community against each other. All these things happened within the previous decade. Whatever racial tension we have had here in recent years doesn't compare to what has happened in LA.

This is also true..I posted link in another area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 PM
 
32 posts, read 39,451 times
Reputation: 48
Thumbs down Racist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Hmm, this explains the drop in crime in NYC!
As an African-American with no criminal record who is a community member, who owns her own business and employs white and Latino people, I am sickened by your comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Windermere,FL
188 posts, read 221,671 times
Reputation: 102
Windermere, Fl... oh wait i already live here. Silly silly guyanese
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 AM
 
9 posts, read 18,917 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I too would love to leave NYC and start life a new somewhere else in this great country of ours. Im tired of NYC, all of the hustle bustle, the everyday rat race, the decline of authnetic NYC in favor of homogenous suburban style with starbucks, flip flops and more iphone4s to count. I dont understand how can anyone move to NYC besides immigrants where rents are expensive and the quality of life is almost like places inIndia and China. Why I wanna leave NYC because I wanna improve my quality of living. I have been couhging up green and yellow stuff everyday and picking up my nose, the air here in the city is really bad, I dont know how people can jog in this enviornment while the air is pretty bad. Two you really cant raise a family in NYC, there has been a decline in services for child care in NYC such as after school programs, if not parents expect family members to flip the bill to take care of your kids while parents work or play. Three city is very expensive, paying 15 dollars for a shot of vodka wtf, outragous rents and the cost of commute keeps going up, taxes, taxes, taxes. Four another reason why I wanna leave NYC is the lack of gun ownership. five the last real reason is why I wanna leave NYC is for the women, outside women tend to be more laidback and laxed and have less damage goods, while here in NYC to many women with baby father drama and other issues. I would like to move to the south however that place is religous as the talibanm however southern women are hot. I would probably move maybe upstate or maybe move to the west coast with places like Seattle or Portland. As for now Im stuck in NYC because I have a sick mom and I have to help raise my sisters kids. You cant take the New York out of a New Yorker!
Don't move south. As a New Yorker and Yankee you will likely not like it. I lived down there and the hot humid weather, **** roaches are enough to make you complain just as much up north. Follow the age old gold rush, get out of dodge and move to the west coast. I lived in San Diego and spent a whole lot of time in LA. Beautiful weather, better looking woman there and you never have to worry about rain. If you want rain and winter, it is also there in California. From mexican style towns, powder in the mountains, wine, farms, beautiful cities like SF and normal towns in central California make it easy to find what you want. Yes rent is high, and yes taxes are high, but its worth it. You can try the south but don't say I didn't warn you. I would rather stay in the NE the rest of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,091 posts, read 18,590,016 times
Reputation: 8124
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkkren View Post
Don't move south. As a New Yorker and Yankee you will likely not like it. I lived down there and the hot humid weather, **** roaches are enough to make you complain just as much up north. Follow the age old gold rush, get out of dodge and move to the west coast. I lived in San Diego and spent a whole lot of time in LA. Beautiful weather, better looking woman there and you never have to worry about rain. If you want rain and winter, it is also there in California. From mexican style towns, powder in the mountains, wine, farms, beautiful cities like SF and normal towns in central California make it easy to find what you want. Yes rent is high, and yes taxes are high, but its worth it. You can try the south but don't say I didn't warn you. I would rather stay in the NE the rest of my life.
I'm also checking out the west coast but also the American South West which I have been to twice. I may visit the West Coast next month, but I wont visit SF which has some similarities to NYC like being liberal and expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
 
1,232 posts, read 2,529,311 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm also checking out the west coast but also the American South West which I have been to twice. I may visit the West Coast next month, but I wont visit SF which has some similarities to NYC like being liberal and expensive.
I agree with you on the southwest, Austin, San Antonio and Santa Fe are great towns. Beware of the Cali west coast tho, rat race like NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,426 posts, read 6,362,268 times
Reputation: 4330
I don't really want to leave New York. I would want to move to San Francisco or San Jose though. I just wanna move somewhere with good zabegalovkas, nightlife, diversity and a sense of culture (which of course New York itself has a lot of). Also I heard that public smoking is banned in San Fran, which is a great plus since I hate people who pollute our air. Just because you want to get lung cancer doesn't mean that the rest of us should suffer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 PM
 
Location: NJ
690 posts, read 805,456 times
Reputation: 141
baltimore
slower pace and still close to action
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Ubique
4,141 posts, read 3,144,413 times
Reputation: 2632
@BronxGuyanese: you say you don't like liberal cities, yet you look into Portland or Seattle? The fact is that almost all Cities in our country have liberal policies. In fact, NY might be one of the most conservative, relatively speaking. No Democrat mayor in NY for 20 years. Although Bloom-Nanny would put many to shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top