U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
6,043 posts, read 6,091,039 times
Reputation: 4757

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
People wanna post about thier experiences in a previous location anf yes for some the news there will post will be negative for example, jose and his family moved out of the dirty grityy and ever expensive les with its shaby schools and dirty crime ridden streets. They moved to richmond viginia and now live in mcmansion, three car garage, excellent schools. Two wasp girls megan anf zoe are moving to nyc les area after living 25 years in virgina where its boring, no nightlife, energy, excitement, and tired of suburban living. Life was bland for them because everyone in thier town loves jesus anf carries a gun for a hobby. Now living in nyc, both girls found hedge fund waspy bf, live in a tenement walkup with a monthly rent is 3000 for a converted two bedroom apartment and there is a bar anf grill down stairs. Theres alot of police presence which makes them feel safe and a park underneath two les bridges for sunbathing. Everyone has different experiences and for some moving brings happiness.
Everything about Megan and Zoe is spot on, except the part about the hedge fund bf's. Not too likely unless they know the right people or look like they could model for Ford. I'm sure (nay, I know) it's every girl's fantasy to move to the big city and have that happen, but lets not pretend that's some everyday thing that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,630,093 times
Reputation: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
@BronxGuyanese: you say you don't like liberal cities, yet you look into Portland or Seattle? The fact is that almost all Cities in our country have liberal policies. In fact, NY might be one of the most conservative, relatively speaking. No Democrat mayor in NY for 20 years. Although Bloom-Nanny would put many to shame.
Bloomberg is a social liberal/fiscal conservative who was traditionally a Democrat but changed his ticket in order to run for the Republican party and eventually announced independent status.

Guliani was not your traditional Republican either.

NYC is very liberal on a national scale. Manhattan, North Brooklyn, the Bronx, and West Queens are probably the most liberal areas in the US. The most conservative areas like SI, East Queens, and South Brooklyn are still left of center rather then right wing. Even our suburbs lean left. There is absolutely no comparison to conservative America.

I do agree that most cities lean Liberal and Democratic nationwide. But NYC would be more extreme, far left on a national scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Ubique
4,061 posts, read 2,938,004 times
Reputation: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
NYC is very liberal on a national scale. Manhattan, North Brooklyn, the Bronx, and West Queens are probably the most liberal areas in the US. The most conservative areas like SI, East Queens, and South Brooklyn are still left of center rather then right wing. Even our suburbs lean left. There is absolutely no comparison to conservative America.

I do agree that most cities lean Liberal and Democratic nationwide. But NYC would be more extreme, far left on a national scale.
No one is comparing NYC to the rest of the country. We are however comparing NYC to other large/substantial cities, in terms of its policies.

Repeating again -- in comparison to other large cities (LA, Boston, Chicago, SF, etc), NYC policies are relatively conservative. At least for the last 20 years. Heck, even welfare enrollment has dropped; read the Torah http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/ny...fare.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,008 times
Reputation: 10
I looking forward to move from NYC Bronx to Houston..Can I afford to buy a home with a maiden of $40,000?What are the best part of Houston to reside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Ubique
4,061 posts, read 2,938,004 times
Reputation: 2494
I'll give you two more Cities -- even in the South -- Atlanta and Dallas. Atlanta's mayor has been a democrat in almost 2 decades running. No republicans.

In Dallas, Dems were mayors for 15 of the last 20 years. I am not going to even bring up Houston or New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Bronx
14,883 posts, read 17,450,256 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
@BronxGuyanese: you say you don't like liberal cities, yet you look into Portland or Seattle? The fact is that almost all Cities in our country have liberal policies. In fact, NY might be one of the most conservative, relatively speaking. No Democrat mayor in NY for 20 years. Although Bloom-Nanny would put many to shame.
Im looking cities that are politically moderate, not too liberal and not too conservative. Also note that one does not havr to be z repulican and conservative. Was Mayor guliani a conservative? No was your beloved Mike Bloomberg s Conservative? No. Politics in NY is much different aesthetically compared to other parts of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 PM
 
274 posts, read 549,585 times
Reputation: 183
My ideal would be to have a studio in Long Island City overlooking the East River and Manhattan skyline that I could go to for a few months of the year. My other abode would be outside of Marseille in one of the small town along the coast in southern France. Lovely area and Marseille is fascinating (and in some ways like New York but not quite).

Not sure if I will have the money to do this. I do intend to visit Marseille - I only passed thru that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Bronx
14,883 posts, read 17,450,256 times
Reputation: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
No one is comparing NYC to the rest of the country. We are however comparing NYC to other large/substantial cities, in terms of its policies.

Repeating again -- in comparison to other large cities (LA, Boston, Chicago, SF, etc), NYC policies are relatively conservative. At least for the last 20 years. Heck, even welfare enrollment has dropped; read the Torah http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/ny...fare.html?_r=0
Isnt food stamps enrollment at an high NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Ubique
4,061 posts, read 2,938,004 times
Reputation: 2494
My yardstick for a city is -- do I feel safe to walk outside at night? Or do I need to pack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Ubique
4,061 posts, read 2,938,004 times
Reputation: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Isnt food stamps enrollment at an high NYC?
Food stamp enrollment is at all time high everywhere. Maybe moving to a smaller city might be more attractive. However, most of our social problems are nationwide, and I doubt any cities are shielded from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top