U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM

51 posts, read 90,107 times

Advertisements

I was planing on moving from NYC for the past 4 years, and finally made it a reality a month ago. Did a ton of research, made a lot of trips and made the decision to move to Wake Forest in NC, which is a suburb of Raleigh. I absolutely love it here and couldn't be happier, me and my wife call it happy town USA. The people are very friendly, everything is spotless clean, and we have every convenience we could want 10 minutes from our home. The school system is excellent and there is a endless amount of parks to explore. The funny thing is that over 70% of the people we meet here are from somewhere else, mostly NY, Mass, and DC. Seems like everyone who was sick of the city life decided to move here and its nice to meet so many like minded people. I wish you luck, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 AM

21,468 posts, read 28,335,583 times
I think I will stay until they slam the lid shut.
But I often entertain the prospect of getting a LOT of house for a change with a nice garden and a car in a garage in Eastern Pennsylvania and then if I need a big City Fix I am a two hour drive from NYC and a shorter drive to Philly.

Lack of jobs has damaged Eastern PA but for retirement the low cost of living is appealing.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 AM

79 posts, read 338,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think I will stay until they slam the lid shut.
But I often entertain the prospect of getting a LOT of house for a change with a nice garden and a car in a garage in Eastern Pennsylvania and then if I need a big City Fix I am a two hour drive from NYC and a shorter drive to Philly.

Lack of jobs has damaged Eastern PA but for retirement the low cost of living is appealing.

hi Kefir King,

nice you mentioned East Pennsylvania, I once thought of that area
of a good potential candidate for affordable living relocation,

may i ask you what part in specific are you referring to? the city of
Philadelphia? more west?

thank you ;-)

Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times
Quote:
a place where (maybe ) you can find a Job
In the economy you need to find a job first or have a job with a transfer option. Four or more years ago it would have been easier. I left NYC nearly 20 years ago and have a better and easier lifestyle those most of my friends who moved to the Island or NJ.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 AM

669 posts, read 1,075,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Clean air, whotf told you that, Bloomberg? Its a city for Hades sakes, most cities have bad air. NYC still has some of the worst air quality in the country especially if you live near cities airports, cities waterways, highways and also commercial hotspots like parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn due to traffic. When I step out of NYC my lungs finally gets a fresh breath of air, my body feels rejuvenated. As for raising a family in NYC in diserable places like Park Slope thats good but its pricey because its one of the most deseribale places in the city, wtf would I want to move there! Dont get me wrong other places in this country are boring and I understand why so many WASP Transplants wanna move to NYC because its different and its another alternative to life and to some its worth paying 2k rent in a canteen shoebox apt with rats and roaches. NYC is lively and full of energy, for some its a good thing but for others its bad thing and it can be cumbersome for others. Any way hopefully in due time and in time I would leave NYC and become a Transplant. But any way have fun running in prospect and central park while breating in a pack of cigarettes, I hope you like canoing in the sewage waste of Gowanus canal!

New York Air Quality Receives Failing Grades (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/new-york-air-quality-receives-failing-grades-20110427-lgf - broken link)

Survey Finds Street-Level Air Pollution in Manhattan - NYTimes.com

The article listed the Bronx, Manhattan, and SI as having the dirtiest air I spend most of my time in Brooklyn and never felt and problems breathing or any noticeable pollution. Anyway Park Slope is not the only family friendly neighborhood in the city most of SI, bay ridge, st. albans, bayside, ozone park, etc. Like I said the only reasonable reasons to leave the city is if you really just dont like city living which is understandable it's not for everyone or its to expensive which is also understandable.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM

16,205 posts, read 18,671,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
The article listed the Bronx, Manhattan, and SI as having the dirtiest air I spend most of my time in Brooklyn and never felt and problems breathing or any noticeable pollution. Anyway Park Slope is not the only family friendly neighborhood in the city most of SI, bay ridge, st. albans, bayside, ozone park, etc. Like I said the only reasonable reasons to leave the city is if you really just dont like city living which is understandable it's not for everyone or its to expensive which is also understandable.
Brooklyn has some bad air quality too. You trying to the air in park slope is fresh as the mountains lol. There is pollution every where my dude. Have you ever smelled the gowanus.canal. On this report brooklyn recieved d. You should ne thanfkul that Robert Moses never built a highway through Brooklyn.

YourNabe.com > Archives > Brooklyn > Air quality (cough) gets a ?D?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:54 PM

917 posts, read 1,766,086 times
maybe Houston or Miami.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 PM

224 posts, read 270,704 times
Moving? Never. I'm far too above living anywhere else in this country.

Manhattan suits my high levels of style, refinement and taste but a second home is needed. Someplace on the French Riviera or the Amalfi Coast.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:19 PM

79 posts, read 338,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
In the economy you need to find a job first or have a job with a transfer option. Four or more years ago it would have been easier. I left NYC nearly 20 years ago and have a better and easier lifestyle those most of my friends who moved to the Island or NJ.

whre did you move to Neilva? ;-)

Old 10-07-2011, 02:25 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Southern California. Love the beautiful weather. Can't wait to go, unfortunately I am stuck here for a bit longer. That's ok though, at least I have something to look forward to.

I have been over NYC for quite some time. I know it's bad when I can't really find one thing to say that I like about it.
Southern California is Long Island with Nicer Weather and Palm Trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City