U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 PM
 
Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,721,928 times
Reputation: 3635

Advertisements

does anyone think about new jersey as a place to stay? like jersey city newport/hoboken/grove st.. i was thinking of moving there after getting married..so i can still have new york but enjoy a quieter life than before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2011, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,198 posts, read 18,666,783 times
Reputation: 8161
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
When you move can you promise to never ever post on the NYC forum again?

I always wonder what possesses people to do such a thing? I hated the town I lived in prior to moving to New York, which happened to be Los Angeles. I was a member of C-D at that time but I would never in a million years dream of posting on LA's City-Data because (a) I didn't like the city, so I had no interest and (b) no point in wasting my and other forumers time trolling that forum for no apparent reason other than to tick off people who were happy with LA.

I truly feel sorry for miserable people.
People wanna post about thier experiences in a previous location anf yes for some the news there will post will be negative for example, jose and his family moved out of the dirty grityy and ever expensive les with its shaby schools and dirty crime ridden streets. They moved to richmond viginia and now live in mcmansion, three car garage, excellent schools. Two wasp girls megan anf zoe are moving to nyc les area after living 25 years in virgina where its boring, no nightlife, energy, excitement, and tired of suburban living. Life was bland for them because everyone in thier town loves jesus anf carries a gun for a hobby. Now living in nyc, both girls found hedge fund waspy bf, live in a tenement walkup with a monthly rent is 3000 for a converted two bedroom apartment and there is a bar anf grill down stairs. Theres alot of police presence which makes them feel safe and a park underneath two les bridges for sunbathing. Everyone has different experiences and for some moving brings happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 PM
 
1,494 posts, read 2,335,926 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post

I was born in NY and left for decades, came back due to personal (family) reasons and I really dispute the notion that in NY "you have everything at your command".

Unless you consider "everything" to be the art world, the Wall Street World, the dining out world, the Met Opera and top museums.

I don't consider "everything" to be at my command. It costs too much and the crowds are horrible, the noise and filth and dirty air and creepy people are super downers.

You don't have the best of everything in NY. Not by a long shot.
I agree, NYC is not all that is it cracked up to be or praised for. A multitude of reasons are compelling me to leave my native city, there's too many to list but I'll do my best.

The more I travel the more I realize NYC doesn't have anything to offer me. While I have disposable income, I don't feel I'm getting any value for it here. My quality of life is crap (noise, pollution, crowds, douchebag transplant hipsters are a constant annoyance, gentrification sucking the NYC vibe spirit out of everything, oppressive taxation and cost of living, etc, etc, etc...), housing is a joke even if you're a millionaire, and the I've seen every museum at least 20 times- yes, even NYC can get BORING if you've lived here all your life. Not only does the city bore me to tears, it continually rests on its laurels while fading and crumbling from the inside-out.

I'm looking at Nashville and Dallas for relocation next year. Both have plenty of places to shop, eat, better for raising a family, low taxes, jobs and decent airports.

Oh, "but Alkie", you say, "what about having convenience of everything so close you don't need a car, and so many places are open late!"... Well, to be honest have not experienced NYC as being very "convenient", I have a hard time finding things as simple as baking soda for my fridge and other low-cost items because shelf space is scarce and precious that stores can't afford to provide these little necessities... Imagine that in a place where you're supposed to be able to get ANYTHING at the snap of a few fingers. Not to mention I wait an HOUR on line at the grocery store (Union Sq TJ's and Whole Foods for example) on the way home because the crowds are so bad. Not to mention it can take an hour to travel two miles even if you DO use MASS TRANSIT.

So while NYC's shops are close and supposedly "convenient", I would spend far less time grocery shopping in the suburbs because the combined drive & line wait is far shorter than what I experience in Manhattan waiting for a cashier. Not to mention wading through a crowd thick as molasses just to grocery shop for the basics is extremely unpleasant. Time is money, and this city is proving itself to be nothing more than a time sink.

I visit my in-laws in the suburbs and their grocery shopping trips are less than one quarter of mine, even though they have to drive to and from- and their grocery stores have FAR more products than the grocery stores in the east village. You can get gourmet ingredients outside the city limits, too. While you'd be hard pressed to find shops like Kalustyan outside of a metro area, they have an online shop!!! *GASP* OMG!!! You mean I don't have to live in a metro area to get cool stuff? OMG the sky is falling, how can this be so?? (Yes, I'm being sarcastic to poke fun at metro elitists who think the word ceases to exist beyond NYC's borders...)

And, just in case someone mentions it, yes, I have repeatedly tried to go grocery shopping at 8am on Saturday morning to avoid the crowds... Only to find that half the crap on my shopping list is NOT available because that's then the grocery store workers are just getting started on re-stocking the shelves. If I had a nickel for every time I couldn't find garlic or half and half at whole foods at 8am... Grrrrrrr...

And about restaurants being open late in NYC or the nightlife being a major perk, well, lets just say I'm far past my post-college single partying days so why would I care? If a restaurant in Nashville or Dallas closes at 9, it doesn't impact my lifestyle at all since I try to be in bed by 10pm on a good day.

Nashville and Dallas may not be as population dense, but I see that as a perk and not a shortfall. In my experience the NYC overpopulation negatively impacts my quality of life in many aspects. I find myself craving just a little bit of space, peace and quiet. Nashville and Dallas has plenty of that in the suburbs, and for days that I want more excitement I can drive into the metro areas. Ahhh, sweet control!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,518 posts, read 4,095,390 times
Reputation: 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
When you move can you promise to never ever post on the NYC forum again?

I always wonder what possesses people to do such a thing? I hated the town I lived in prior to moving to New York, which happened to be Los Angeles. I was a member of C-D at that time but I would never in a million years dream of posting on LA's City-Data because (a) I didn't like the city, so I had no interest and (b) no point in wasting my and other forumers time trolling that forum for no apparent reason other than to tick off people who were happy with LA.

I truly feel sorry for miserable people.
LOL, you are a troll. I remember you posted under a different name and you were banned. (http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...y-1052137.html)

Same BS though, about NYC's superior status and all that. Just accept that some people hate it here, and it is OK for them to express their opinions. If that is an issue for you, then I suggest you don't go on forums created just for that purpose.

Last edited by jen5276; 10-17-2011 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 2,859,407 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
When you move can you promise to never ever post on the NYC forum again?

I always wonder what possesses people to do such a thing? I hated the town I lived in prior to moving to New York, which happened to be Los Angeles. I was a member of C-D at that time but I would never in a million years dream of posting on LA's City-Data because (a) I didn't like the city, so I had no interest and (b) no point in wasting my and other forumers time trolling that forum for no apparent reason other than to tick off people who were happy with LA.

I truly feel sorry for miserable people.
I feel sorry for people who feel the need to defend a collection of buildings and communities aka a CITY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM
 
491 posts, read 636,647 times
Reputation: 609
You feel sorry for the people who are optimistic about where they live rather than the ones who feel they have to complain to everyone about their misery? In that case you can keep feeling sorry for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I agree, NYC is not all that is it cracked up to be or praised for. A multitude of reasons are compelling me to leave my native city, there's too many to list but I'll do my best.

The more I travel the more I realize NYC doesn't have anything to offer me. While I have disposable income, I don't feel I'm getting any value for it here. My quality of life is crap (noise, pollution, crowds, douchebag transplant hipsters are a constant annoyance, gentrification sucking the NYC vibe spirit out of everything, oppressive taxation and cost of living, etc, etc, etc...), housing is a joke even if you're a millionaire, and the I've seen every museum at least 20 times- yes, even NYC can get BORING if you've lived here all your life. Not only does the city bore me to tears, it continually rests on its laurels while fading and crumbling from the inside-out.

I'm looking at Nashville and Dallas for relocation next year. Both have plenty of places to shop, eat, better for raising a family, low taxes, jobs and decent airports.

Oh, "but Alkie", you say, "what about having convenience of everything so close you don't need a car, and so many places are open late!"... Well, to be honest have not experienced NYC as being very "convenient", I have a hard time finding things as simple as baking soda for my fridge and other low-cost items because shelf space is scarce and precious that stores can't afford to provide these little necessities... Imagine that in a place where you're supposed to be able to get ANYTHING at the snap of a few fingers. Not to mention I wait an HOUR on line at the grocery store (Union Sq TJ's and Whole Foods for example) on the way home because the crowds are so bad. Not to mention it can take an hour to travel two miles even if you DO use MASS TRANSIT.

So while NYC's shops are close and supposedly "convenient", I would spend far less time grocery shopping in the suburbs because the combined drive & line wait is far shorter than what I experience in Manhattan waiting for a cashier. Not to mention wading through a crowd thick as molasses just to grocery shop for the basics is extremely unpleasant. Time is money, and this city is proving itself to be nothing more than a time sink.

I visit my in-laws in the suburbs and their grocery shopping trips are less than one quarter of mine, even though they have to drive to and from- and their grocery stores have FAR more products than the grocery stores in the east village. You can get gourmet ingredients outside the city limits, too. While you'd be hard pressed to find shops like Kalustyan outside of a metro area, they have an online shop!!! *GASP* OMG!!! You mean I don't have to live in a metro area to get cool stuff? OMG the sky is falling, how can this be so?? (Yes, I'm being sarcastic to poke fun at metro elitists who think the word ceases to exist beyond NYC's borders...)

And, just in case someone mentions it, yes, I have repeatedly tried to go grocery shopping at 8am on Saturday morning to avoid the crowds... Only to find that half the crap on my shopping list is NOT available because that's then the grocery store workers are just getting started on re-stocking the shelves. If I had a nickel for every time I couldn't find garlic or half and half at whole foods at 8am... Grrrrrrr...

And about restaurants being open late in NYC or the nightlife being a major perk, well, lets just say I'm far past my post-college single partying days so why would I care? If a restaurant in Nashville or Dallas closes at 9, it doesn't impact my lifestyle at all since I try to be in bed by 10pm on a good day.

Nashville and Dallas may not be as population dense, but I see that as a perk and not a shortfall. In my experience the NYC overpopulation negatively impacts my quality of life in many aspects. I find myself craving just a little bit of space, peace and quiet. Nashville and Dallas has plenty of that in the suburbs, and for days that I want more excitement I can drive into the metro areas. Ahhh, sweet control!
What an overly long post about nothing. Why did it take you so long to realize that NYC doesn't offer the suburban lifestyle of the suburbs? There's nothing wrong with wanting a big supermarket you can drive to with ease, peace and quiet etc..

You complain about the city being boring and you've been to every museum (yea right), yet you're life revolves around grocery shopping and your choosing to move to Dallas or Nashville for some peace and quiet. You're either a troll or mental...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
 
4,926 posts, read 7,072,727 times
Reputation: 4355
LMAO at anyone gettin all butthurt because people are discussing their negative views on certain aspects of this city that makes them want to split.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 04:37 PM
 
153 posts, read 389,884 times
Reputation: 118
I'm going to move to Southern California in a few years, hopefully! I'm really tired of living here, kind of sick of the city, Queens & Long Island... All the places that ive lived. Im in the process of getting a transfer/ relocated to Hong Kong or Singapore in a few months!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 AM
 
1,494 posts, read 2,335,926 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
You feel sorry for the people who are optimistic about where they live rather than the ones who feel they have to complain to everyone about their misery? In that case you can keep feeling sorry for me...

What an overly long post about nothing. Why did it take you so long to realize that NYC doesn't offer the suburban lifestyle of the suburbs? There's nothing wrong with wanting a big supermarket you can drive to with ease, peace and quiet etc..

You complain about the city being boring and you've been to every museum (yea right), yet you're life revolves around grocery shopping and your choosing to move to Dallas or Nashville for some peace and quiet. You're either a troll or mental...
Why reply to my post in the manner than you have unless you're a troll or mental?

Something hooked you in since you replied with something resembling a weak flame. I've outgrown the city and find that other places serve my needs and desires in ways that NYC can never achieve.

Why do you have a problem with someone answering the question of the OP? Are you a troll?

Are you so insulted that people don't share your love of this place that you seek to demonize them? Or are you a troll?

I had a free high school pass to ALL city museums and used it religiously- did you?

Why do you presume I didn't notice the city wasn't like the suburbs?

Why do you presume I always disliked the city?

Why do you presume all I do is grocery shop? Do you grocery shop? IF we both grocery shop, wouldn't that make your life revolve around grocery shopping too? IF your answer to that is no, then maybe you should take a look at how you jump to incorrect conclusions- you only know me as well as I allow you to know me, so I wouldn't assume anything if I were you.

Does your world revolve around jumping to odd conclusions that fit your own bias? After all that's all I've seen you do so far.

Do you hate Dallas?

Do you hate Nashville?

Do you hate born and bred NYers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 02:30 AM
 
Location: Bronx
16,198 posts, read 18,666,783 times
Reputation: 8161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Why reply to my post in the manner than you have unless you're a troll or mental?

Something hooked you in since you replied with something resembling a weak flame. I've outgrown the city and find that other places serve my needs and desires in ways that NYC can never achieve.

Why do you have a problem with someone answering the question of the OP? Are you a troll?

Are you so insulted that people don't share your love of this place that you seek to demonize them? Or are you a troll?

I had a free high school pass to ALL city museums and used it religiously- did you?

Why do you presume I didn't notice the city wasn't like the suburbs?

Why do you presume I always disliked the city?

Why do you presume all I do is grocery shop? Do you grocery shop? IF we both grocery shop, wouldn't that make your life revolve around grocery shopping too? IF your answer to that is no, then maybe you should take a look at how you jump to incorrect conclusions- you only know me as well as I allow you to know me, so I wouldn't assume anything if I were you.

Does your world revolve around jumping to odd conclusions that fit your own bias? After all that's all I've seen you do so far.

Do you hate Dallas?

Do you hate Nashville?

Do you hate born and bred NYers?
I agree with you buddy. As s born and bred native of this city myself I have done everything and have been almost everywhere in this city and also had many negative and positive experiences living here in ny. I too used my college id when I was a student to get access to discounts st meseums and concert halls such as lincoln center and carnagie hall. I out grew this city and its time to trade some concrete for some grass pretty soon. I know many transplants and they all come from somr boring lame duck homogenous town that they wish not to talk about. Sadly enough they dont understand why cityslickers like us are fascinated with small towns and burbs or all year warn weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top