U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 12:41 AM

4,841 posts, read 8,200,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
When i read that part of your post, i almost died laughing. Not b/c i'm laughing at you, but b/c i share your excitement!! When i moved up to WNY, close to Buffalo 3 years ago, my son & i wanted to go shopping all the time b/c the supermarkets up here are like Disneyland! Wide aisles, loads of fresh fruits and veges, smells of prepared and baked goods, large selection, clean shelves, clean floors and most of all SHORT LINES!!! The store that i love in particular is Wegmans. It's the best supermarket! It has always amazed me that the supermarkets in NYC will have, for example 10 registers, but at a maximum 3 are opened, creating super long lines. It's just one of those things about the City that sucks!
I remember going to a Giant supermarket out in PA with my family at 7pm, we were like, the only people there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,330,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
When i read that part of your post, i almost died laughing. Not b/c i'm laughing at you, but b/c i share your excitement!! When i moved up to WNY, close to Buffalo 3 years ago, my son & i wanted to go shopping all the time b/c the supermarkets up here are like Disneyland! Wide aisles, loads of fresh fruits and veges, smells of prepared and baked goods, large selection, clean shelves, clean floors and most of all SHORT LINES!!! The store that i love in particular is Wegmans. It's the best supermarket! It has always amazed me that the supermarkets in NYC will have, for example 10 registers, but at a maximum 3 are opened, creating super long lines. It's just one of those things about the City that sucks!
OMG OMG OMG

I LOVE WEGMANS! They are the best, they might not be as fancy as Dean & Deluca, but they have just about everything and they're the only supermarket other than Whole Foods where I've LOVE food under the store band label. I Was a cash strapped student once, so I had to buy store band items to save moolah but was shocked and amazed at how good Wegman's stuff was compared to crap like white rose.

If you're ever in Rochester, you should check out their flagship store in Pittsford.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 AM

21,401 posts, read 28,196,671 times
Not quite suburban but a when I was living in Jersey City, a friend from Queens would visit and what did she MOST want to do? Why, go to SHOPRITE of course...and she would gasp as she went down one long aisle after the other til she got to ailse 25 and was exhausted.
She'd have bought the store out but for having to haul it all back to Queens on PATH and Subbway.

<Chorus of Can-Can in the background.>

ShopRite is the single thing I miss most about New Jersey. The store was even better than the supermarkets in Eastern Pennsylvania...or at least as good.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:37 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,639,709 times
I've over heard many conversations among black people of them relocating and moving back down south to Georgia and the Carolinas where it is cheaper to live due to the lower cost of living. Has anyone seen this trend in their neighborhood?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,330,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I've over heard many conversations among black people of them relocating and moving back down south to Georgia and the Carolinas where it is cheaper to live due to the lower cost of living. Has anyone seen this trend in their neighborhood?
I forgot which channel, but there was a news story on this. Many blacks living in the northeast are moving back to the south for a number of reasons:

1) They fled the south to get away from the racism there, nowadays the south is not the same place and race relations are much better.

2) Cost of living, taxes, etc. The northeast is very cost prohibitive in terms of real estate price and sodomizing tax rates.

3) They miss the south, it's home. They moved to the northeast begrudgingly. Now that the problems they fled are no longer an issue, there's not much incentive to remain in the northeast.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM

8,608 posts, read 7,040,047 times
How about the differences between suburbs and small town living.? There are tremendous differences, and small towns are not much different than cities beyond the obviously lower population. When I leave, it's to head to a small town. Suburbs are boring and exist only to support cities with increased living space. Small towns are beautiful worlds onto themselves while still being a great change from metropolis's such as ours.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:57 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,685,238 times
Either Berlin (Germany), Philadelphia, or Montreal.

I say Berlin because one, I lived there before and I speak German. I'm not really worried about the transition, I'd just be a bit more worried about work. I work in a creative field, yet I do have the qualifications to teach English out there if I wanted. If you think the unemployment rate is high in NY you haven't seen s*** try living in Berlin (Much, much, cheaper rents..although thats slowly changing).

Philly, I just love this city..yes its smaller and the subway isn't that extensive but there's lots of gems here. I personally feel you can have an above average QOL, and there are still parts of the city where the real estate isn't too inflated.

I would pack up my stuff in a heartbeat and go to Montreal, F what you heard about the cold weather..only things holding me back are 1. My French needs alot of work 2. I despise poutine.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM

87 posts, read 221,736 times
Colorado...

Lower cost of living, 300 days of sun, 45 minutes to actual spectacular Mountains, decent restaurants, less crowded, nicer folks, much less of that "keeping up with the joneses" mentality so prevalent in the Northeast, sunny dry summer days and cool nights, etc...I've lived in both NYC and Philly, and you can have them both. Time to rediscover my inner Mountain-Man haha!!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,400,141 times
Alkonost,

You know what it is about NYC (Manhattan in particular) that I don't like? One thing? They say, "Oh, NY has everything!" Well, it sure does. It has so much that you have to walk a long distance or take the subway a long way just to get to the thing that you DO need or want. It's way too big!

In Manhattan, you walk past stores I would never patronize (I am not that big into $700 handbags or designer clothes, don't need another TV or electronic gadget, beauty spas, specialty stores I will never, ever need....and you have to fight crowds and noise for the privilege. Not me, thank you very much! Not for me!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,400,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkobserveher View Post
If I were to leave NY it would only be for Italy (making the move again.. will be my second time living there this August 2012) or Chicago. I cannot live in a small town, no matter what. I need to be in the action. Chicago seems to be the only other US city that speaks to me.

Oh, I forgot South Beach. I'd totally live there.

We are all so different! I hate being "where the action is", the older I get! I liike to have access to great cultural venues, but don't want to live in the midst of the crowds. No, I love having a nice backyard with trees and grass and where I grow tomatoes and flowers and shrubs and my cats can and dog can play.
And peace and quiet and space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City