U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2011, 09:06 AM

5,043 posts, read 11,086,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
SuperMario----
Thats one jammed packed post--thanks!
May I ask where you got that info from?
I love 80s--90s NYC crime stuff.
No problem.

Well, I had family members who were part of drug organization. However, I mostly get everything from books, newspaper accounts, and from people who lived it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobroguy
If SuperWario spent as much time studying technology as he does crime, he probably would have discovered the cure for every disease, ensure that we never die, and shred the space-time continuum.
Seriously. Hahaha.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 12:24 AM

84 posts, read 96,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
No problem.

Well, I had family members who were part of drug organization. However, I mostly get everything from books, newspaper accounts, and from people who lived it.

Seriously. Hahaha.
I love talking about this stuff too its kinda what brought me to this forum. Do you have any idea of who is running crime today in NYC?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Some notable areas Uptown and the Bronx that caused a bulk of the homicides, w/ reason:

W 147th & Amsterdam ave area - La Compania drug gang

W 160th - W 168th btwn Amsterdam and Broadway in Washington Heights (Especially W 163rd st). - Jherri Curls Drug gang

E 137th - E 143rd / Beekman, Cypress area in Mott Haven. - Wild Cowboys drug gang.

E 150's in Melrose (Courtland ave area) - Boy George and his Heroin organization.

W 175th in the Andrews, Davidson area- El Feo ran his drug organization from Andrews.

E 180th - E 184th, specifically the E 183rd corridor from Jerome to Webster. All accounts point to Jamaican drug cartels totally dominating the area.

Watson ave in Soundview, a heavy drug strip, sorrounded by projects and held hostage by Franky Cuevas drug organization, as well as Pistol Pete and his Sex Money Murder BLOODS gang.

Other notable areas:

E 194th street and Decatur ave.

Marcy Place in Highbridge by the 4 Train.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

In Washington Heights, there were millionares on every other block. The whole area was affected, even the blocks that had low drug trafficking. Dealers would hang out all over the place. Lets say that Juan Alvarez was put on by Yayo (the founder of crack) operating out of W 175th street & Audobon ave. Juan would pocket some of the profit himself and decide to set up shop on 168th and Amsterdam. Juan's crew is doing pretty well, raking in thousands of dollars daily. Yayo feels that his buissness is being affected by Juan's new spot. Yayo's men are hired to kill Juan and as a result destroy his buisness. They find Juan hanging out on W 177th and Broadway. They proceed to perform a drive-by shooting, killing Juan and an innocent by-stander in the process.

You have 2 homicides.

Juan made some associates on W 183rd st. The drug crew operating on W 183rd st benefitted from Juan. They find out Juan was killed and immediately suspect Yayo's gang. They are incensed because their buisness is directly affected. They decide to set up Yayo's men. They come to an agreement with Yayo's friend Pablo, to buy a kilo from him. They go into an empty apartment on W 177th street. In the room are 4 men from the W 183rd crew and Pablo with his 2 muscle men. As the transaction starts, one guy from the 183rd crew pulls out a gun and shoots Pablo in the heart. Immediately, Pablo's security pulls out a gun and shoots the shooter of Pablo, killing him instantly. The remaining W 183rd crew shoots the 2 remaining men from Yayo's crew and to add insult to injury, steal their supply.

You have 4 homicides.

So you have 6 men killed, most who had nothing to with the other, in the span of a week. Best believe that Yayo is angry and is going to want payback. It is an ongoing cycle. Most deaths where caused by

1.) A rival dealer ripping off another (selling him fake supply).
2.) Robbing drug dealers and their supplies.
3.) Eliminating the competition. (affecting your buissness)
4.) Payback for the above. (other reasons as well).

That's how Washington Heights worked.

Mott Haven in the South Bronx was especially volitile because you had different crews on every block!
All those guys you mentioned operating by University and the Heights give my people such a bad name. El Feo/Yayo/The Jheri Curls gang thank god these guys are all gone and most have left the drug game. I think Dominicans have gained a negative perspective from most people because of those goons.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 AM

7,960 posts, read 6,558,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
All those guys you mentioned operating by University and the Heights give my people such a bad name. El Feo/Yayo/The Jheri Curls gang thank god these guys are all gone and most have left the drug game. I think Dominicans have gained a negative perspective from most people because of those goons.
Dominicans and to some extent jamaicans are always synonymous for drug trade in nyc. It does paint a negative picture if you ask me. I read a first hand account back in college about the drug trade in williamsburg/bushwick, on how the dominicans Uprooted the puerto ricans in the late 80s in that part of brooklyn out of drug trade and ended up dominating the brooklyn drug.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:04 AM

377 posts, read 450,734 times
I remember the Daily News used to keep a daily count of how many people were killed by gunfire (not wounded but killed) and it was not unusual to see the number reach up to the 9-12 range. Back then you had plenty of good neighborhoods but the bad ones were terrible. Even in 'not so bad' hoods like East Elmhurst and Sunset Park bodies were dropping back then, just not at the same rate of the warzones in the North-Central section of Brooklyn and almost all of Uptown. Today is so tame compared to back then you probably stood a better chance of becoming a vic strolling thru Hell's Kitchen in 1990 than Washington Heights in 2011...

Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Dominicans and to some extent jamaicans are always synonymous for drug trade in nyc. It does paint a negative picture if you ask me. I read a first hand account back in college about the drug trade in williamsburg/bushwick, on how the dominicans Uprooted the puerto ricans in the late 80s in that part of brooklyn out of drug trade and ended up dominating the brooklyn drug.
The DR is a relatively crime free the most you'll hear are muggings over there. Puerto Rico and Mexico are much worse. I guess the fact that so many Dominicans moved into a poor urban area like Washington Heights is why so many became dealers in the 80s and 90s. I always tell people to think about the grocery store owners, barbers the taxi drivers, etc. that help shape this city many are Dominican. And we are not all thugs, I read that Dominican-Americans have one of the best college graduation among other Latino Americans. Instead of getting stereotyped with Yayo why not get stereotyped with Junot Diaz, Julia Alvarez, Cid Wilson, Oscar de la Renta. So many people regard us as drug dealers and steroid using baseball players.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
The DR is a relatively crime free the most you'll hear are muggings over there. Puerto Rico and Mexico are much worse. I guess the fact that so many Dominicans moved into a poor urban area like Washington Heights is why so many became dealers in the 80s and 90s. I always tell people to think about the grocery store owners, barbers the taxi drivers, etc. that help shape this city many are Dominican. And we are not all thugs, I read that Dominican-Americans have one of the best college graduation among other Latino Americans. Instead of getting stereotyped with Yayo why not get stereotyped with Junot Diaz, Julia Alvarez, Cid Wilson, Oscar de la Renta. So many people regard us as drug dealers and steroid using baseball players.
No way. The DR is as dangerous as Puerto Rico and way more dangerous than the entire country of Mexico.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DR: 25 per 100,000
Mexico: 18 per 100,000
PR: 22.61 per 100,000

Mexico has seen it's first big increase in years. It was always in the 15 range but Juarez and Tijuana have skewed it upwards. But anyways the DR is a very very dangerous place. It is a gateway for drugs smuggled into the US, and you have many different cartels in DR. I remember when I went to DR last year, nobody was out after 7 pm. All you see late at night is stick-up kids and armed adults waiting to rob anyone in sight. I heard gun fire every night as well. It's terrible because it is such a beautiful country...it's just too damn dangerous.

As to whose running the show in 2011? I'd say various groups. Nobody has anything on lock. You can look into recent newspaper articles about large gang busts. The biggest ones recently have been the Dominican Trinitarios gang bust on 175th, the Latin king (Dominican and Mexican) and La Perla bust (Dominican) in the Fordham area of the Bronx, and the BLOODS gang bust in Hunts Point.

Different areas are run by different groups. BLOODS, KINGS, TRINITARIOS etc..then you have drug gangs as well (the aforementioned gangs are street gangs who happen to sell drugs.) Even back in 1990, Dominicans didn't run everything. They had a piece of the pie and where the suppliers to every other crew in the city. You had African American Fat Cat and the Supreme team in Southside Jamaica, as well as Boy Gorge who was PR in the Bronx...Harlem also had it's blacks and PR running the drug trade there.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
No way. The DR is as dangerous as Puerto Rico and way more dangerous than the entire country of Mexico.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DR: 25 per 100,000
Mexico: 18 per 100,000
PR: 22.61 per 100,000

Mexico has seen it's first big increase in years. It was always in the 15 range but Juarez and Tijuana have skewed it upwards. But anyways the DR is a very very dangerous place. It is a gateway for drugs smuggled into the US, and you have many different cartels in DR. I remember when I went to DR last year, nobody was out after 7 pm. All you see late at night is stick-up kids and armed adults waiting to rob anyone in sight. I heard gun fire every night as well. It's terrible because it is such a beautiful country...it's just too damn dangerous.

As to whose running the show in 2011? I'd say various groups. Nobody has anything on lock. You can look into recent newspaper articles about large gang busts. The biggest ones recently have been the Dominican Trinitarios gang bust on 175th, the Latin king (Dominican and Mexican) and La Perla bust (Dominican) in the Fordham area of the Bronx, and the BLOODS gang bust in Hunts Point.

Different areas are run by different groups. BLOODS, KINGS, TRINITARIOS etc..then you have drug gangs as well (the aforementioned gangs are street gangs who happen to sell drugs.) Even back in 1990, Dominicans didn't run everything. They had a piece of the pie and where the suppliers to every other crew in the city. You had African American Fat Cat and the Supreme team in Southside Jamaica, as well as Boy Gorge who was PR in the Bronx...Harlem also had it's blacks and PR running the drug trade there.
Where were you in DR? I do now about the muggings over there definitely they are a daily occurrence. I never really heard gun shots. And I do know about the Columbian drug cartels transporting drugs through the DR to PR to the US its an issue that President Fernandez is trying to address. It absolutely disgusts me because in many cases the police are the dealers and the biggest crooks as well as the DR marines. I don't know if you heard about La Soga in DR but these cops work hand in hand with Colombian drug cartels and intimidate the crooks for money,etc.
I don't agree with Mexico being less dangerous than DR. Dozens of bodies are found seemingly everyday. Those border towns are absolute hell. I have heard too many stories of tourists driving in and being shot up. And despite the drug trade being pretty bad in the DR I don't think it even compares to Los Zetas and other drug cartels in Mexico. But I guess the numbers don't lie.
Isn't La Perla, Puerto Rican? What do you know about the new YG (Young Gunners) and YB (Young Bosses) gangs that have popped up? That area by Devoe Park in The Bronx is ruled by the 90 YB set and Trinitarios.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Where were you in DR? I do now about the muggings over there definitely they are a daily occurrence. I never really heard gun shots. And I do know about the Columbian drug cartels transporting drugs through the DR to PR to the US its an issue that President Fernandez is trying to address. It absolutely disgusts me because in many cases the police are the dealers and the biggest crooks as well as the DR marines. I don't know if you heard about La Soga in DR but these cops work hand in hand with Colombian drug cartels and intimidate the crooks for money,etc.
I don't agree with Mexico being less dangerous than DR. Dozens of bodies are found seemingly everyday. Those border towns are absolute hell. I have heard too many stories of tourists driving in and being shot up. And despite the drug trade being pretty bad in the DR I don't think it even compares to Los Zetas and other drug cartels in Mexico. But I guess the numbers don't lie.
Isn't La Perla, Puerto Rican? What do you know about the new YG (Young Gunners) and YB (Young Bosses) gangs that have popped up? That area by Devoe Park in The Bronx is ruled by the 90 YB set and Trinitarios.
Well the ENTIRE country of Mexico is less dangerous than the DR. I made sure to specify that in my post. However, the border towns of Mexico are as dangerous as anything. But you're only talking about a couple of cities. The majority of Mexico is not nearly as bad as the drug infested island that is the DR. I was staying in San Francisco btw, which has the moniker "La ciudad de los capos" due to how many DR king pings originate from there.

La Perla is a place in PR. The Bronx crew however was mixed, with the leaders being Dominican.

You're also right about the Devoe park area. You know what you're talking about. Trinitarios run the area, I havent really heard of 90 YB though. But YB and YG are definitely for real and they are causing alot of Mayhem, particularly in the north-east Bronx.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 PM

That area San Francisco, San Cristobal, The Capital and La Romana are hell. You must be Dominican or have Dominican relatives because San Francisco really isn't a hot tourist destination.

90 is a YB set they operate on like 190 and Davidson. I usually walk by the park afterschool the taggings are all over the place and so are the members, really not a safe place for kids about two weeks ago they were jumping and robbing innocent kids, forcing them to fight and yell out obscenities referring to the YG gang. They beat this overweight kid really bad. The park is regularly patrolled by cops but it does nothing. People smoke marijana in the open and drug dealing is always going down. The cops patrolled the area heavily this year after this Teen Charged in Devoe Park Double Murder : Norwood News
I just don't understand why they can't have officers in these hot spots.

Last edited by DA Fernandez; 10-09-2011 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City