U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 PM

31 posts, read 59,889 times

Advertisements

It's the Fairfield Inn by Marriott on Astoria Boulevard. It just looks like a more normal, residential area and closer to subway.

I'm hoping the hotel can accommodate because Priceline won't budge (my mistake, true, but still!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Hey Bronxguyanese, I'm a Londoner!! We know how to do thuggery just as well as you New Yorkers You haven't got a spot on our rioting!

What are these Queensbridge houses I should avoid and where are they???

Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,819,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyrobeson View Post
It's the Fairfield Inn by Marriott on Astoria Boulevard. It just looks like a more normal, residential area and closer to subway.

I'm hoping the hotel can accommodate because Priceline won't budge (my mistake, true, but still!!)

Oh alright. It's kinda right on the upcoming entrance to the triboro bridge. It will seem like a highway to you. But once you walk a little bit into the neighborhood, you'll definitely find it a better place to be than the location on Van Dam.

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:34 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,819,883 times
Quote:
There's no reason you'll ever go through them. Don't worry about that.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:35 PM

Thanks. I'll need all the luck I can get with Priceline!! I could just kick myself!!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,860,810 times
Quote:
Hey Bronxguyanese, I'm a Londoner!! We know how to do thuggery just as well as you New Yorkers You haven't got a spot on our rioting!

Far north of where you'll be, on the other side of Queens Blvd/Queens Plaza.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:55 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,306,676 times
Quote:

Well, first that location is not in LIC. It is in Astoria.

It is located in a mostly residential area facing the highway (which it is intended to serve). That specific location is a bit desolete, with several gas stattions, garages, and small industrial type businesses. It is a fringe area with little foot traffic.

At that particular location, Astoria Blvd splits, with a portion leading into a highway, and the other into a highway passover. Cars move very quickly and as there is little foot traffic the drivers won't be looking out for any. Keep very good control of your children, hold their hands and do not allow them to run and dart about!

Unfortunately, the area is somewhat isolated with few, if any, shops or stores. The Fairfield Inn is a chain of 'motels' owned by Marriot, it is not a Marriot Hotel. The motel does not cater to tourists, but to passing automobile travelers, which is why there isn't much in the area.

Also, the subway is NOT nearby! The nearest subway is at Astoria Blvd and 31st Street, the station name is "Astoria Blvd.". There you will find the N and Q line trains. The station is several blocks (perhaps 10) from the motel, straight down Astoria Blvd. I would not reccommend walking, for a stranger to the area and city, with two small children, particularly if they are in any way unruly. At that end, Astoria Blvd traffic is rather speedy, the sidwalks narrow and in poor condition.

I suggest asking the desk to call a car service to take you to the Astoria Blvd station. The cost s/b $US8.00 cash. You should do the reverse going back to the hotel at night. Ask the driver for his card.

The alternative is to ask the desk to point you toward 30th Avenue, which is perpendicular 'away' from Astoria Blvd. 30th Avenue actually runs in a parrellel direction to Astoria Blvd., but is 3 or 4 blocks distant. At 30th Avenue you can find a local bus which runs along 30th Avenue in both directions. Bus stops are on either side of the street. Make sure you do not get onto the bus going in the wrong direction. You want the bus headed toward 31st Street and the "30th Avenue" subway station which is also on the N/Q line.

For the bus you will need a "Metrocard" or the exact fare in coins. Bills are not accepted and the drivers do not make change. It is possible the hotel desk may sell Metrocards. I do not know at what age children have to pay, but if yours are not school age then its likely they ride free. Be sure to note the cross streets of the bus stop, as you'll need to know this on your way back. Ask the driver to let you know and he'll announce your stop. Pay attention, its easy for a stranger to miss their stop!

As I stated, a car service will be the best way, though more costly. Now that I think on it, going back to the hotel, especially at night, it will be best to use the 30th Avenue station, as there is always a line of car service taxis waiting for passengers from the subway. Not so at the Astoria Blvd. Station.

As I've outlined, this is not the most convenient hotel/motel for a tourist w/o a vehicle, which is why, I suspect the cost appealed to you. This is NYC, an extremely expensive place, and anything even remotely 'affordable' comes with some or a lot of hassle.

Lastly, other than the light breakfast that motels of this type normally provide in the lobby, I doubt there is a restaurant, so there will be no food immediately available. Other than what you might find at the motel, I do not believe there is a restaurant within a 'short' walk. Another issue to contend with in regard to the children, and the poor location of the motel.

Frankly, I would just pay the cancellation fee, if there is one, then find a better located hotel! Though, if slight adventure is what you are after with two small children, go for it. The area is relatively safe, with no immediate dangers, save for the traffic, isolation and low foot traffic. Those are just relatives....

Btw, just a word, too many Euro visitors seem to think that they have some capability, gleaned from their home experience, with which to deal with American/NYC "thuggery" as you put it. Be forewarned, lose the overconfidence. Here in NYC, thugs carry weapons, and guns among them are common place. This is not London, nor Britain.

It IS relatively safe, as I've stated, but in the off event you are confronted, please do not try any 'Wonder Women' routines. Alone, in NYC, with two children, such would not be smart.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:35 AM

750 posts, read 2,128,793 times
Yeah, I agree with the overconfidence thing. Sure, London is a big city and crime happens there, but not to the extent that it happens in inner city areas of big American cities. The rioting in London isn't really a reflection of the people or the neighborhoods there - it was a result of a controversial event that some delinquent kids capitalized on. Seeing those riots on TV didn't make me any less afraid of visiting London. It's a once in a 100 years occurrence, while violent crimes including muggings, robberies and homocides happen in NYC everyday and are rarely reported. The UK is much more conservative and just a lot safer than America.

The difference between New York and London is that the crime tends to be much more violent here. I've walked through Brixton at 2am on a Saturday and felt safe, but I wouldn't even consider doing the same walking through Queensbridge. I've had friends of friends who were tourists from Europe get robbed at gun point on the L train in Brooklyn because they were naively unfolding a giant subway map looking lost - you don't want to assume that all of NY is safe just because you can walk around Midtown without problems. You can't judge by aesthetics either - Hollis, Queens looks like the burbs, but make no mistake, you'd still be in a pretty bad neighborhood.

My intention is not to scare you, but remind you that you have to be vigilant if you're wandering around LIC at night and you're not familiar with your surroundings. While that area is safe, it's still a bit desolate and you have to keep your wits about you. It's not like walking around London at all, and I'm speaking as someone who has worked there and visited some of the more dodgy neighborhoods. They really don't compare to NY outside of the tourist cocoon of Midtown and Downtown Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Well, first that location is not in LIC. It is in Astoria.

It is located in a mostly residential area facing the highway (which it is intended to serve). That specific location is a bit desolete, with several gas stattions, garages, and small industrial type businesses. It is a fringe area with little foot traffic.

At that particular location, Astoria Blvd splits, with a portion leading into a highway, and the other into a highway passover. Cars move very quickly and as there is little foot traffic the drivers won't be looking out for any. Keep very good control of your children, hold their hands and do not allow them to run and dart about!

Unfortunately, the area is somewhat isolated with few, if any, shops or stores. The Fairfield Inn is a chain of 'motels' owned by Marriot, it is not a Marriot Hotel. The motel does not cater to tourists, but to passing automobile travelers, which is why there isn't much in the area.

Also, the subway is NOT nearby! The nearest subway is at Astoria Blvd and 31st Street, the station name is "Astoria Blvd.". There you will find the N and Q line trains. The station is several blocks (perhaps 10) from the motel, straight down Astoria Blvd. I would not reccommend walking, for a stranger to the area and city, with two small children, particularly if they are in any way unruly. At that end, Astoria Blvd traffic is rather speedy, the sidwalks narrow and in poor condition.

I suggest asking the desk to call a car service to take you to the Astoria Blvd station. The cost s/b $US8.00 cash. You should do the reverse going back to the hotel at night. Ask the driver for his card.

The alternative is to ask the desk to point you toward 30th Avenue, which is perpendicular 'away' from Astoria Blvd. 30th Avenue actually runs in a parrellel direction to Astoria Blvd., but is 3 or 4 blocks distant. At 30th Avenue you can find a local bus which runs along 30th Avenue in both directions. Bus stops are on either side of the street. Make sure you do not get onto the bus going in the wrong direction. You want the bus headed toward 31st Street and the "30th Avenue" subway station which is also on the N/Q line.

For the bus you will need a "Metrocard" or the exact fare in coins. Bills are not accepted and the drivers do not make change. It is possible the hotel desk may sell Metrocards. I do not know at what age children have to pay, but if yours are not school age then its likely they ride free. Be sure to note the cross streets of the bus stop, as you'll need to know this on your way back. Ask the driver to let you know and he'll announce your stop. Pay attention, its easy for a stranger to miss their stop!

As I stated, a car service will be the best way, though more costly. Now that I think on it, going back to the hotel, especially at night, it will be best to use the 30th Avenue station, as there is always a line of car service taxis waiting for passengers from the subway. Not so at the Astoria Blvd. Station.

As I've outlined, this is not the most convenient hotel/motel for a tourist w/o a vehicle, which is why, I suspect the cost appealed to you. This is NYC, an extremely expensive place, and anything even remotely 'affordable' comes with some or a lot of hassle.

Lastly, other than the light breakfast that motels of this type normally provide in the lobby, I doubt there is a restaurant, so there will be no food immediately available. Other than what you might find at the motel, I do not believe there is a restaurant within a 'short' walk. Another issue to contend with in regard to the children, and the poor location of the motel.

Frankly, I would just pay the cancellation fee, if there is one, then find a better located hotel! Though, if slight adventure is what you are after with two small children, go for it. The area is relatively safe, with no immediate dangers, save for the traffic, isolation and low foot traffic. Those are just relatives....

Btw, just a word, too many Euro visitors seem to think that they have some capability, gleaned from their home experience, with which to deal with American/NYC "thuggery" as you put it. Be forewarned, lose the overconfidence. Here in NYC, thugs carry weapons, and guns among them are common place. This is not London, nor Britain.

It IS relatively safe, as I've stated, but in the off event you are confronted, please do not try any 'Wonder Women' routines. Alone, in NYC, with two children, such would not be smart.

Last edited by Biskit; 10-08-2011 at 12:44 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 02:57 AM

Quick update: Phone Priceline back. Sob story (alone with 2 kids, dodgy area, mile from subway) , humble pie and full admission of guilt. End result: they agreed to refund. Small charge if I rebook through the website, otherwise one night's stay. Phew!!

Just regards the over-confidence. Nothing of the sort!! I'd assumed Bronx's comment was a bit tongue in cheek so it was just a light hearted response!! I've had to travel for work to Nairobi, Lagos, Joburg, Cape Town and Kinshasa. With all due respect to New York, you ain't got a patch on those cities! I'm very safety aware which is why I posted the question to begin with (and am changing hotels) - as I know some parts of NYC are very sketchy and as a disoriented out-of-towner, I am a target. So please don't worry about euro wonder woman jumping into action and refusing to hand over my purse to ten armed and masked lads surrounding me and the girls!

Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,466 times
except queensbridge and ravenswood, which are far from being the worst projects by any means, the rest if LIC is pretty much safe, even though not very nice to look at, as its mostly industrial...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City